Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
very low boost possible?

On tercels you can run up to 4lbs of boost before doing anything to the ecu and fueling. I know this cuz i did it to my car and a few others. Can that be done on the Yaris as well?

The reason is i have most of the stuff gathered to turbo the damn car finally and the itch is really getting to me.

I think i asked this a long while ago but I cannot recall the answer

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
My bet is no. Modern cars have such aggressive closed loop control of the AFR to optimize for fuel economy that you would be lean whenever you were in boost.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm going to attempt it in a few months. If it works then yeah, if not, I'll just lock the wastegate open until I can get fuel adjusted. But seeing as how the car run pretty rich from factory under heavy acceleration, I don't foresee a problem running 4 PSI.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Yeah. My tercel ran stupid rich na. At 3.5lbs i picked up nearly 30wheel and 3mpg and still was mid 11s afr. After 4lbs it would go into fuel cut.

-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-96 Tercel 4dr
Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
In theory you could use a Blitz S/C piggyback--assuming you could find one on the cheap. I haven't looked at what's inside of it, but maybe CT has. I've reverse engineered the throttle position switch, but that was all passive components. If there's a programmable chip in the piggyback, there's not much I could do with it, but I may be able to sort out the passive components.

I wonder if it would be possible to use a signal conditioner--or equivalent circuit--to modify the wideband signal to trick the engine into running rich. Hmm...
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
On tercels you can run up to 4lbs of boost before doing anything to the ecu and fueling. I know this cuz i did it to my car and a few others. Can that be done on the Yaris as well?

The reason is i have most of the stuff gathered to turbo the damn car finally and the itch is really getting to me.

I think i asked this a long while ago but I cannot recall the answer
Why do you want to boost a Yaris anyway? These are reliable eco cars not hot rods lol
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Why do you want to boost a Yaris anyway? These are reliable eco cars not hot rods lol

Very helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
In theory you could use a Blitz S/C piggyback--assuming you could find one on the cheap. I haven't looked at what's inside of it, but maybe CT has. I've reverse engineered the throttle position switch, but that was all passive components. If there's a programmable chip in the piggyback, there's not much I could do with it, but I may be able to sort out the passive components.

I wonder if it would be possible to use a signal conditioner--or equivalent circuit--to modify the wideband signal to trick the engine into running rich. Hmm...
The Blitz throttle controller that comes with the S/C is basically a poor man's piggyback. It simply takes the throttle position input and relative to that keeps the injectors running for a proportional amount longer. It contains a microcontroller and four FETs.

As far as the comment about the Yaris running rich, it really does not. If you watch the AFR on a stock yaris it runs around 13.8 when cold, then aggressively maintains stoich (14.7), until it goes open loop at WOT. At that point it seldom drops below 12.8.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Very helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Sorry man just couldn't help myself. I read somewhere that EL Prototypes did an extensive testing on the 1.5 1 NZ-FE with higher boost supercharging and found the engine could only run about 5 psi of boost. The TTE supercharger only runs about 5 psi I believe. Also read the blitz charger of markyboys is running .7 psi of boost. You may want to talk with someone in person that knows about this stuff. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Sorry man just couldn't help myself. I read somewhere that EL Prototypes did an extensive testing on the 1.5 1 NZ-FE with higher boost supercharging and found the engine could only run about 5 psi of boost. The TTE supercharger only runs about 5 psi I believe. Also read the blitz charger of markyboys is running .7 psi of boost. You may want to talk with someone in person that knows about this stuff. Good luck!
You might want to do some reading before throwing out incorrect info. The Yaris 1NZ-FE has been proven to run reliably at 12 psi on stock internals and well beyond that with aftermarket rods. The Blitz supercharger (of which there are many people on here with them, including myself) runs at 6 psi.

The most critical component of reliability with boost is fuel control.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You might want to do some reading before throwing out incorrect info. The Yaris 1NZ-FE has been proven to run reliably at 12 psi on stock internals and well beyond that with aftermarket rods. The Blitz supercharger (of which there are many people on here with them, including myself) runs at 6 psi.

The most critical component of reliability with boost is fuel control.
OMG I told him I read it somewhere and is why he should talk to someone in person who knows about such things. Asking for advise on the Internet especially something this this is dodgy at best. Besides why am I the one that has to do the reading? I am not the one asking about boosting a Yaris.

Last edited by Flammable; 03-19-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
OMG I told him I read it somewhere and is why he should talk to someone in person who knows about such things. Asking for advise on the Internet especially something this this is dodgy at best. Besides why am I the one that has to do the reading? I am not the one asking about boosting a Yaris.
Because instead of contributing to the conversation, you chose to interrupt with an unhelpful, inane comment. If you don't have direct experience with the subject at hand--which CTScott and I have several years worth of--or something genuinely helpful to add, then please move on to another thread.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Yea man. I understand you are not a frequent flyer here at YarisWorld, but there is very little BS that gets thrown around here. And those who do throw that BS, gets called out pretty quick. Those who know the main contributers to this forum, know they can trust what they say and will have the data or results to back up what they claim.

The yaris is a great little car and has a lot of potential outside of the eco life.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Flammable member for a month. Other contributors to the thread membership 4 years and greater.

The OP and other contributors are well aware of how the 1NZ handles boost applications, whether it be s/c or turbo, at 6+ psi. There have been many builds done and documented here over the years making this the largest repository of information anywhere specific to boosting the Yaris.

Of course you are going to get flamed for coming in here and stating you read something somewhere without a true understanding of what has gone on here in this forum since 2006.

I guess your screen name kinda makes sense...

Now let's get back to the business of establishing a knowledge base for sub 6 psi boost levels.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
Flammable

I wasn't trying to start something was just having fun with the OP with my original post. Guess there isn't much tolerance here that kind of thing, my bad.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
I wasn't trying to start something was just having fun with the OP with my original post.
That is what emoticons are for, to convey attempts at humour or good natured ribbing. We have lots of tolerance for poking fun at people provided that your messages can convey that intent.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
That is what emoticons are for, to convey attempts at humour or good natured ribbing. We have lots of tolerance for poking fun at people provided that your messages can convey that intent.
That is why I put the "lol" at the end of my original post. I understand now I should not have interjected later with what "I read" about boost but I was not trying to BS the OP which was why I said he should speak with someone personaly that has knowledge about boosting. It was early in the thread still and I did not realize many of you guys know each other and have a tight bond and for that I apoligize. I will bow out of here so you guys can continue your discussion. Cheers.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #18
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Im well aware of the 1nz and its capabilities. Its more of 'what can i get away with since i bought a damn house'

I think soon ill start working on all the plumbing and getting it ready. Like i did with my tercel...i fooled around for the better part of 3 years before i finally got everything made for its final install and its been totally reliable for almost 35k

-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-96 Tercel 4dr