Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
why are you getting yaris or got yaris

so why?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Well, I have a 3-dr auto RS. I bought it for my wife because it is reliable, fuel economical, easy to park and relatively affordable. I am also hoping that it will hold its value so that one day when I trade it in for another car, I will pay a little less.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
we wanted a small, reliable and not-so-expensive car that doesn't cost much in terms of maintainability and fuel economy. having owned toyotas before, we actually decided to buy an echo but as luck would have it, the echo was discontinued and to be replaced by the yaris. so after waiting a couple months more, we finally got the yaris, a better car than we were actually looking for.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Same here! We first tried to buy an Echo but ended up having a Yaris. Good timing!
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
UndefinedDesign

Drives: 2002 SVT Focus
I fell in love with it when the Drift King, Dori Dori, test drove it in a 2 liter challenge in BMI. They supercharged it and got a special award for being wicked good. It clocked the slowest time trial however, every one of the drivers agreed it was the most well balanced, fun car out there. SOLD.
UndefinedDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Petrolhead

Drives: 95 Corolla
I'm getting the liftback because it's an affordable little car that I think will have a big enthusiast following. It's a Toyota so you know it will have great quality and some nice performance. Thinking about upgrading/modifying it a little too and I'm sure there will be lots of support for that on this car.
Petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
Light, great on gas, reliable, go-cart handling, Gran Turismo 3, and lots of JDM TRD accessories right out of the box was the reason I bought my Gen 1 Vitz RS (2004 Echo Hatch RS)...Unfortunately, a drunk driver hit me head on in 2004, and disabled me so I was forced to sell my baby...

The comfort of selling my baby was offered by a Gen 2 Vitz RS (2006 Yaris RS) because it offered the same positives, and also added much needed extra refinement, and a more upscale feel...

I also like the 2Box design of car, which doesn't seem to be the norm in Canada...

Cheers
damn, too bad. post some pics of your previous car! would love to see it. thx
Old 01-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushumasterku
damn, too bad. post some pics of your previous car! would love to see it. thx
Some in this thread...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24

Cheers
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
I am getting one because I drive 60 miles a day 4 days a week.
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #10
newedgeperf

Drives: Ford Focus
Because it reminds me of my beloved VWRabbit GTi. The weight to horsepower ratio is actually slightly better than the Rabbit. I can only hope the Yaris lives up to such high expectations. I would like to get the Yaris on a autocross course to see how it handles.

I also find the hatchback, er excuse me, liftback body style very handy.

plus the price is very attractive!!

Tony D
newedgeperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
p2filz

Drives: '93 toyota pickup
i cant choose either!
p2filz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
Light, great on gas, reliable, go-cart handling, Gran Turismo 3, and lots of JDM TRD accessories right out of the box was the reason I bought my Gen 1 Vitz RS (2004 Echo Hatch RS)...Unfortunately, a drunk driver hit me head on in 2004, and disabled me so I was forced to sell my baby...

The comfort of selling my baby was offered by a Gen 2 Vitz RS (2006 Yaris RS) because it offered the same positives, and also added much needed extra refinement, and a more upscale feel...

I also like the 2Box design of car, which doesn't seem to be the norm in Canada...

Cheers
Ouch man, didn't know that was how you got hurt.

After being in an accident like that, what would your opinion of the crash worthiness of the Yaris, if you do not mind me asking.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Ouch man, didn't know that was how you got hurt.

After being in an accident like that, what would your opinion of the crash worthiness of the Yaris, if you do not mind me asking.
In my accident, the 1992 Golf was unrecognizable, The way I was hit, no airbag or crush zone would have helped, and I personally believe they are a false sense of security. They help in certain instances, but there is no guarantee against serious injury.

Toyota crashed the Vitz head-on into a full size car and it fared well, that's enough for me.
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Wow, unrecognizable. So the Yaris faired better. That's all I need to know about its crash safety as well.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
The looks, the interior, the drive, the price, the gas-consuming.... There where tons of reason why.

I wanted a Focus for a long time, then my buddy got one, since then, I have been tellin' myself not to get an american car. Then waited for a while for a good sub-compact car, then Yaris hits at the right time. Doin' research for it for about month or two, then decided to get one.

Ziv on Vitz.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #16
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
To me the yaris hits every requirment I was looking for. Toyota quality. And from what I've read its even better now. The yaris I believe doesn't have to be serviced till 100,000 miles. Other than the usual oil changes.

The gas milage is excellent. 35+ miles a gallon sounds very good. I looked at the prius and its gas milage. And from people I've talked to they really only get 45+ miles to the gallon. And as we know gas milage will be very important in the coming years. And it sounds like the yaris is very maneuverable and easy to drive. I'm way excited that mine shows up.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #17
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Greetings all. First post here.

So why did I get my Yaris? Great question.

Well, in my case, it was a lesser-of-all-evils choice. I should mention up front that I am not a fan of cars in general (never will be), nor do I buy into car culture. So call me a reluctant car owner. I'm hoping that there is room for myself and other similarly-minded folks on this board.

I guess I was amongst the first Canadian Yaris owners back in Oct 2006. I had originally planned to buy an Echo HB in July 2005, but decided to wait for the new generation model. I got solid feedback from 2 good friends, Echo owners themselves (one w/sedan, one HB).

I purchased the Yaris for carpooling to work (this was a long-term purchase, with the intent that I keep the car for a min 5-10 years), and for the odd road trip. I drive alternate days at ~44km one-way. This is my first car.

Basically, I was after a small car with not just a small purchase price, but the lowest TCO (total cost of ownership), measured in terms of $, environmental impact, stress, unscheduled repairs, and time wasted. In the end, the Yaris wasn't the one with the cheapest price tag, but it seemed to present the lowest overall risk in terms of TCO. I was blessed to have enough $ budgeted where I had the freedom to consider lowest TCO, instead of solely looking at initial purchase price.

I was aware of the other school of thought re: minimizing TCO - used cars. Having had no prior interest in cars, I did not have the necessary knowledge from which to judge the quality of a used car (increased risk). With a new car, the hardware is more likely to be good (less risk).

No car can be a sure bet; the best I can do is to stack the odds in my favour. I chose to do that with the Yaris. We'll see how this all turns out.

So anyhow, that's the abbreviated version of my story

Last edited by jay; 02-07-2006 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Dumb typos
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

No one can ever tell exactly how a car can do on TCO, whether the car is new or used.

Used cars are crapshoots. You get lucky or you do not. Unless you have the knowledge, ability, and time to take the car apart and examine every single piece, even the most experienced car people will tell you that a used car is a gamble.

BTW, welcome.