Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Question Brakes-why did they wear out like this

Changed out my brake pads yesterday and was appalled by what I found. Ended up rushing out to Toyota for some new rotors.

Can anyone explain why both the driver and passenger side brakes wore out in an identical, and in my opinion, abnormal manner?

1) Both outside rotor surface and pads, normal expected appearance.
2) Both inside rotor surface and pads, extreme ridging.

These brakes had close to 84,000 kms on them, and by the look of things, the outer pads could have lasted another 20K.

(DIY Brake job, unheated garage, -15C, FTL )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0002.jpg (153.2 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0003.JPG (129.4 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0004.JPG (137.2 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0005.JPG (182.6 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0006.jpg (139.1 KB, 503 views)
Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
It appears to me as though you might have had alot of debris lodged between tha pads and rotors on and off up until now. Also, do they salt the roads there during winter? I'll bet that change was cold.....bbbbbbbbrrrrrrrr.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Looks like the pistons are not retracting. I'd at least change the brake fluid. It might not be a bad idea to rebuild or replace the calipers as well.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Looks like the pistons are not retracting. I'd at least change the brake fluid. It might not be a bad idea to rebuild or replace the calipers as well.
50,000 miles without the pistons retracting? I think not.

Klink is right, that's salt, almost for sure.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
50,000 miles without the pistons retracting? I think not.

Klink is right, that's salt, almost for sure.

Not 50K without them retracting. Once they stop retracting properly the wear happens very quickly.

Two weekends ago I changed the calipers and rotors on a friend's daughter's Nissan Altima. She just had the pads and rotors replaced about 5K ago, but they were making a horrible metal on metal sound, so they brought the car by so we could check it out in my heated garage. The outside pads looked like brand new and the insides did not have a trace of pad material left and the rotors were destroyed. We popped the pistons out of the calipers and they were severely corroded.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
check the brake pins.. the calipers float on these pins, and they may be bent or corroded
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Yea those rubber boots and seals will go bad. I bet if those pistons were that bad that seal had a crack allowing moisture to get in. It pays to not wait until pad replacement time to check the inner workings of the calipers and lube the pins.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Christopher
Cobra

Drives: '07 3-door
84K on a set of factory brakes. That pretty good in my book!
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Thats just normal wear. YOu will never get even wear unless you have a dual piston calper setup. One pad gently rides against the rotor while the piston pushes against the other one causing it to clamp down. Its possible the caliper needs relubing too causing it to slightly bind up. But on a single piston setup this is entirely normal.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I realize you work on cars but that doesn't look like normal wear.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
there was a TSB about the front brakes in areas with snow/ice, and salt/chemicals on the roads...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
check the brake pins.. the calipers float on these pins, and they may be bent or corroded
Checked pins last night and they all slide freely. Pistons compressed easily enough at reassembly time last weekend so I'm thinking corrosion there is not an issue. Just have to keep an eye on how the replacements are wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
there was a TSB about the front brakes in areas with snow/ice, and salt/chemicals on the roads...
Not listed in our compilation of TSBs. Do you have any details?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
did you check to see that the pins were not bent? they could slide smoothly with no braking pressure on them, and bind under load.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
did you check to see that the pins were not bent? they could slide smoothly with no braking pressure on them, and bind under load.
Wouldn't pin problems most likely cause outboard wear, or crooked pad wear? And inboard pad problems are from a sticking piston, either from square-cut o-ring not rolling back or corrosion buildup inside the caliper?

I'm guessing buildup between inboard pad and rotor and nothing wrong with hardware.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Not listed in our compilation of TSBs. Do you have any details?
it was on the echo... but i think that it connected across... i will have to check when i get to school next week
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Thats just normal wear. YOu will never get even wear unless you have a dual piston calper setup. One pad gently rides against the rotor while the piston pushes against the other one causing it to clamp down. Its possible the caliper needs relubing too causing it to slightly bind up. But on a single piston setup this is entirely normal.
I get normal wear on all my vehicles. Two of which tow 5K-9,000 lbs and are single piston design with drums on the rear. I change the brakes every 18 months and each pad has 20-25% of wear left. Nothing as significant as having one side worn 40% than the other.

Still, I'd check the pressures coming from the brake proportioning valve. I've never had pads wear that uneven, and I've done over 100 brake jobs. The lower right photo shows a clean appearance on the rotor. That's how ALL sides should look - smooth. Having a pad only touch 1.5cm of area on one side of the rotor as in the first few photos leads me to believe something is definitely amiss, as both rotors have the same wear mark.

At least you noticed this. If you would have had the brakes done at a shop or dealer, you'd probably never know about this potential problem. Even with 84K on this set, that's not bad. You are right however, if the pads wore evenly they would have lasted another 15-20,000kms easily, especially in such a light vehicle.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote