Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #55
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausecho View Post
Lotus uses the 2ZZGE motor with VVTLi , different motor .
Will just leave this here for you ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Elise#Cup_260
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #56
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
Will just leave this here for you ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Elise#Cup_260
Yes, I've shared that !ink a few times too. A lot of people seem to be convinced that only the 2ZZ was used.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #57
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausecho View Post
Lotus uses the 2ZZGE motor with VVTLi , different motor .
2011+ Elise use the 2ZR-FE with a blower.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #58
benoityip

Drives: Corolla 1.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
Surely Lotus would be not be using off the shelf 2zr motors though. I'd love it if they are as point proven, but surely not if punching out 186kw in a track car.

I don't think lotus change the motor, they even keep the stock exhaust header, which is very restricted
benoityip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #59
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
MCM posted a new video today. The bad knocking noise was the Air Conditioning compressor.

Last edited by kevinj93; 02-13-2020 at 03:49 PM.
kevinj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #60
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I was thinking of doing the exact same setup with the wheels, glad to see how good it looks!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #61
06YarisRS

The final series is up. I'm losing it again! I've likely committed youtube suicide, assuming anyone even sees my post. They basically call Yari pieces of sh*t and I went off half-cocked (well maybe). I'll probably get flamed for my comments or my post deleted. I really have zero respect for MCM after this series. Yes, I'm probably over-reacting, but I love these little cars and this whole MCM series left a bad taste in my mouth for a number of reasons: 1) acting like the swap had never been done before 2) suggesting over and over that they got 200hp with a $169.00 turbo (talk about click bait!), not answering anyone's questions about costs (specifically the Haltech), 4) and, of course, the icing on the cake; calling our cars shit and 5) a fact that will likely be lost on most of their fans - that their fans can likely only afford to buy and modify these "pieces of sh*t cars. MCM = Style over substance all the way! Here's my 'submission:

"TOTAL PIECES OF SH*T? REALLY?! That comment sort of sealed it for me. The initial concept was great and it was enjoyable to watch the series (purely from an entertainment perspective - MCM surely does have the technical/graphic/sound and humour end of things nailed), but unfortunately we'll probably never know what really happened. Why? Because in my opinion, MCM doesn't really care about it other than its currency in "views". In many ways this series trivializes engine swap and turbo builds on inexpensive cars; cars that likely their average fan/subscriber could afford to buy and do preformance work on. The comment about spending too much money on cars that are a "total piece[s] of shit"" is insulting and just plain wrong. Great if you have an endless budget through advertising dollars and can buy and build whatever you want. There is nothing wrong with a turbo'd Toyota 2ZR engine and it's been proven over and over. There is a huge community of people who have invested time in performance modifications to these cars and in one fell swoop, MCM has, in a sense, made a mockery of their efforts. What octane fuel was used? Where were the AFR and oil pressure gauges? Could compressor surge have played a roll since the car didn't seem to have a BOV (damaged turbo CMHA, again, we'll probably never know) . I will give them that they did say they were using a "wrecker-spec'd engine" and it had been "thrashed", but rather than bashing poor Yaris Hilton, why not suggest that the tired engine may have been the failure then investigate. God knows, enough people have already asked for a tear down and explanation of the failure right in the comments. I had high hopes in the beginning that this would increase awareness about the potential of this platform, and I guess in some ways it did that, but style over real substance seems to have prevailed. Over and over, people inquired about the actual cost associated with the build, yet their queries went unanswered. I think some people genuinely wanted to know and would have appreciated an answer; maybe considered a build themselves. Sad, Sad, Sad. I'm sure I'll get the "thumbs down" for this and maybe my post deleted. Oh well."

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 02-16-2020, 04:48 AM   #62
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
triggered much?

Now, before I sound too much like an MCM fanboi, I agree with you on many points, that "piece of shit" comment was a bit harsh, especially after they did one of their most detailed and polished builds. So I guess it was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek After all, for the whole series until that point, they were super positive, and impressed by the final performance of the car.

Anyway, if you look at their other builds, many of them follow the same kind of format, apart from their "hero" cars, they often just disappear into obscurity. We just want to know more more more about the Yaris, because it's *our* car and we are one pretty close-knit community!

As for your points:

1) Yeah, some kind of nod to the die-hard Yaris fans over here would have been nice. Heck even in their own forums, and at their last meet, there was another turboe'd Yaris, I don't think that got mentioned at all...

2) Comes with the Youtube territory I guess

3) Hardware cost is not hard to figure out. I *think* the turbo was $169 As for the Haltech 750, it's listed on their site at $1099 - $1469 depending on your harness choice. Anyway as you know, the biggest costs in a build won't be the hardware, but the time and expertise needed to get things done, and that's hard to put a price tag on.

At the end, it's entertainment. I tend to view MCM as something close to Top Gear, a show in the world of cars, but also not really about cars... If anything, they have shown to millions of people that you can take a "shitty" modern econobox that's not a Honda Civic and turn it into something pretty impressive!

Thankfully there are tons of other channels with more serious mechanical content!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #63
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
triggered much?

Now, before I sound too much like an MCM fanboi, I agree with you on many points, that "piece of shit" comment was a bit harsh, especially after they did one of their most detailed and polished builds. So I guess it was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek After all, for the whole series until that point, they were super positive, and impressed by the final performance of the car.

Anyway, if you look at their other builds, many of them follow the same kind of format, apart from their "hero" cars, they often just disappear into obscurity. We just want to know more more more about the Yaris, because it's *our* car and we are one pretty close-knit community!

As for your points:

1) Yeah, some kind of nod to the die-hard Yaris fans over here would have been nice. Heck even in their own forums, and at their last meet, there was another turboe'd Yaris, I don't think that got mentioned at all...

2) Comes with the Youtube territory I guess

3) Hardware cost is not hard to figure out. I *think* the turbo was $169 As for the Haltech 750, it's listed on their site at $1099 - $1469 depending on your harness choice. Anyway as you know, the biggest costs in a build won't be the hardware, but the time and expertise needed to get things done, and that's hard to put a price tag on.

At the end, it's entertainment. I tend to view MCM as something close to Top Gear, a show in the world of cars, but also not really about cars... If anything, they have shown to millions of people that you can take a "shitty" modern econobox that's not a Honda Civic and turn it into something pretty impressive!

Thankfully there are tons of other channels with more serious mechanical content!
Yeah. I get too easily wound up. Gotta chill! I am glad that the platform got exposure and I guess we can thank MCM for that. I've received quite a few inquiries from people interested in builds like this and ours. So, that's definitely a.plus. I direct them to yarisworld as the source of knowledge and inspiration. Also, I shouldn't complain too much as it's provided me with and opportunity to scam hits for my own channel. I'm as bad as I'm accusing them of being.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #64
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

It's all good, we'll have to carry the torch

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 02-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #65
benoityip

As an Australian where MCM is located, corolla engine is not welcomed by tuners and car modification.
This is a culture that is different from US and Asian countries. I have been modding my corolla for a long time, most tuners turn me away, saying that they don't want to mod a corolla.

Not many people know the engine is used in a lotus, so the corolla engine is not welcomed.

If you modify a corolla or yaris, they are thinking there is something wrong with you in australia
Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #66
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

MCM was great in the earlier years when they were all about budget, DIY builds. They've lost what made them great and refreshing to watch. I was hoping with this Yaris build they were going back to their roots a bit.

But nope, its all about money and views now.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #67
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoityip View Post
As an Australian where MCM is located, corolla engine is not welcomed by tuners and car modification.
This is a culture that is different from US and Asian countries. I have been modding my corolla for a long time, most tuners turn me away, saying that they don't want to mod a corolla.

Not many people know the engine is used in a lotus, so the corolla engine is not welcomed.

If you modify a corolla or yaris, they are thinking there is something wrong with you in australia
That's a shame, really. How common are the Yaris and Corolla in Australia? If it's common, I'm surprised it hasn't taken hold as a platform to modify. Thanks for the insight!

Old 02-17-2020, 07:53 PM   #68
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
MCM was great in the earlier years when they were all about budget, DIY builds. They've lost what made them great and refreshing to watch. I was hoping with this Yaris build they were going back to their roots a bit.

But nope, its all about money and views now.
Amen! I guess if you were really all about modifying cars, you wouldn't have that subscriber base. More people seem interested in the easter eggs such as the "ghosts" and "haunted shop", the silly songs and they want to make comments such as "here's Rodney"! Uggh! Comments from knowledgeable/legitimately interested folks are few and far between. Will I still watch MCM? More than likely, because it is entertaining. I'll give it that.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #69
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Amen! I guess if you were really all about modifying cars, you wouldn't have that subscriber base. More people seem interested in the easter eggs such as the "ghosts" and "haunted shop", the silly songs and they want to make comments such as "here's Rodney"! Uggh! Comments from knowledgeable/legitimately interested folks are few and far between. Will I still watch MCM? More than likely, because it is entertaining. I'll give it that.
Everyone wants to be know it all car guys but don't want to put the effort into actually learning and researching. So they pander to the majority of viewers which are low effort "car guys". Its a shame but thats how it is unfortunately.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #70
06YarisRS

Quote:
Everyone wants to be know it all car guys but don't want to put the effort into actually learning and researching. So they pander to the majority of viewers which are low effort "car guys". Its a shame but thats how it is unfortunately.
More true words were never spoken. MCM does provide a valuable service. It just isn't what I'm looking for.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:28 AM   #71
benoityip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
That's a shame, really. How common are the Yaris and Corolla in Australia? If it's common, I'm surprised it hasn't taken hold as a platform to modify. Thanks for the insight!
Yaris and corolla are extremely popular, but only limited to simple bolt on.Before 2007, corolla is popular to mod. After 2007 and the new version corolla, the mod community just decline rapidly. It was viewed as a car from point a to point b, and no performance potential.

Look at the latest corolla, the Taiwanese Toyota dealer invites the journalist to test at race track. Here in Australia, it is only see as a point a point b car. The new corolla has 28mm front sway bar and 24mm at the back, it handles really really well.

Funny enough, people here modify a Toyota hilux. Why on earth would you want more power in a hilux?

Honda fit as well, only a few people mod them.

I have been frustrated almost no one in Australia change the camshaft and valve springs for me. And for the one that change the camshaft for me, they take the whole engine out and charged me $$$. The ecu is another big barrier. Because of this MCM episode, I can finally take my car to do an independent ecu tune to one shop.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #72
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Everyone wants to be know it all car guys but don't want to put the effort into actually learning and researching. So they pander to the majority of viewers which are low effort "car guys". Its a shame but that's how it is unfortunately.
much of this is very true but the reality is running a successful YT channel is a completely different thing (as you guys stated above). To keep a YT channel successful you have to cater to the masses and as already pointed out you get further away from actual car people.

In all honesty though, real car people spend more of their time under a car as opposed to sitting in front of a TV watching YT channels, at least relative to the average YT viewer. There are many car channels I used to watch that I no longer find really interesting anymore. Not to sound like I know everything about a car (I do not), but there is very little on YT that isn't something I have either already done or have learned how to do. The more you modify a car the less people online can help you as you chart new territory and the less YT videos will be able to teach you things.

The car community is a hard YT channel business model - it takes a lot of man hours to perform the work, then you have to edit all the while hoping you have enough of a crowd interested in your build. This is why the most successful YT channels are BS Vlogs about gossip garbage. They appeal the the optimal YT viewer of 12-16 years old and the content doesn't need very much editing, you just sit and spew garbage and kids eat it up.

MCM is a business like it or not and they have to adapt to keep the lights on. This means more often uploads, builds the mainstream wants to see and then quick turnover to the next build.