Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
invol

Drives: '09 S 3dr. 5spd. Meteorite
OEM Aerodynamic options (to 'S' or not to 'S')

Hello all! This is going to be an obligatory awkward first post.

I'm going to get a Yaris soon (if I can ever sell my current car), and was wondering which options would be best to get from an aerodynamic / fuel efficiency standpoint? I'm definitely getting a 3dr LB 5-speed (non-negotiable ), and I've been leaning towards getting an S mainly because I want the tach and the better seats. However, is the S any more aerodynamic than the base? Plus will the extra weight of the skirts offset any benefits? I'm not planning on getting any 'power' stuff (windows, alarm, etc.) save for the stereo to keep down weight a little. Are there any options that would help in my aero / FE quest?
invol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'm gonna have to say no.

You are really only looking at cosmetic add-ons, nothing really designed to make the vehicle more aerodynamic. While the differences would be minimal, if even measurable, the most efficient option would be to go as base as you can get. Typically the higher up the trim ladder you go, the heavier the car gets.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
invol

I was thinking the same thing. I can always get a tach somewhere else, and the base seats aren't bad. The options I was planning on getting was the stereo (gotta have tunes), the center armrest (I sometimes drive a Honda Insight with no armrest and it really sucks after a long drive), and the rear roll bar (more neutral handling). After the necessary evils , that's it. In fact I will be deleting my spare tire (AAA, ftw) and getting a lighter battery right after purchase to further reduce weight and to offset the weight of the aluminum belly pan for better FE.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
strip the back seats for further reduced weights =P

Oh and the passenger seat while you're at it =P
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
invol

Nah, the seats need to stay in the car. I need the seats to tote around my kids when I have them. Otherwise I'd buy the Insight I mentioned before (my boss offered to sell it to me, but I can't have a 2-seater for my only car as much as I may want to).
Old 12-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I got a minimally equipped LB 5 speed with manual everything, back in April. Because the cold weather package is mandatory in New England, it came with the 15in wheels. Rather than getting dealer optional gauges consider getting the ScanGuage which can display Tach and a bunch more but also gives instant and average MPG. It doesn't need any tools to install and easily fits in the drivers glove box.

I installed the aftermarket cruise control, but I got more MPG gain from tire pressure, the ScanGuage, and a K&N air filter. (in that order) I use synthetic 0w-30 oil, but the gain is just 0.5-1.0 MPG.
My commute is 60 miles each way and I have done some long vacation trips fully loaded with family and gear. (MPG range 36 - 45)
The only aero mod I am considering is to block the lower grill opening for the cold weather. Around here the roads are too rough to keep any ground effects from getting bashed up.

I do like the seats in my wife's Scion XB better than the Yaris as the side bolstering is better and the seat bottom is not so flat on long trips. I just went to the local PepBoys and got some racing seat covers for $25 that seem to make nearly as comfortable as the XB.

Last edited by SpaceShot; 12-01-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: missed statement
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
invol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
I got a minimally equipped LB 5 speed with manual everything, back in April. Because the cold weather package is mandatory in New England, it came with the 15in wheels. Rather than getting dealer optional gauges consider getting the ScanGuage which can display Tach and a bunch more but also gives instant and average MPG. It doesn't need any tools to install and easily fits in the drivers glove box.
Yeah, I'm going to get a scangauge for the FE readouts. The fact that it can also double as a tach is a great bonus.

Quote:
I installed the aftermarket cruise control, but I got more MPG gain from tire pressure, the ScanGuage, and a K&N air filter. (in that order) I use synthetic 0w-30 oil, but the gain is just 0.5-1.0 MPG.
My commute is 60 miles each way and I have done some long vacation trips fully loaded with family and gear. (MPG range 36 - 45)
The only aero mod I am considering is to block the lower grill opening for the cold weather. Around here the roads are too rough to keep any ground effects from getting bashed up.
Fortunately it doesn't get that cold / extreme weather around here, so I should be fine. I've also contemplated whether running 0W-20 oil would be worth it. Also, I'm not sure which would be more effective; blocking the lower opening or the upper one? Hmmmm.

Quote:
I do like the seats in my wife's Scion XB better than the Yaris as the side bolstering is better and the seat bottom is not so flat on long trips. I just went to the local PepBoys and got some racing seat covers for $25 that seem to make nearly as comfortable as the XB.
Good call. I'll have to look into that. I really don't care whether the back seat is the standard or comfier one. I've never once heard my kids complain about choice or comfort of seating material in any car I've ever transported them in.