Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Well, this can't be correct...............

Hello,

Just got home after running around about 100 miles.

Filled up this AM, reset my UltraGauge to read full tank (11.1 gal.) Reset trip A to zero, off we go.

Weather here in S.E. New England, starting out cold and drizzly but the sun came out and it warmed up quickly.

UltraGauge drops from 11.1 to 10.1, Trip reads 41 on the nose, combined highway (60 mph, cruise set) , secondary roads 35-40 mph. I'm thinking great finally some warm weather to help the ol mileage out.

I usually drop my first bar between 68 and 75. Today FB 90.2 (Personal best, I took pics with my cell phone, but seeing how this is my second post I won't even attempt to put them up until I am quite certain I won't screw it up)

I also took a pic of the UltraGauge near the fuel gauge showing 9.10 gal. remaining and trip A reading 91.6.

Now this morning when I filled up I had just dropped my 7th bar about a mile from where I fill up, filled to the first shut off and guessed I had 1.5 gal remaining, plus 9.854 gals. 11.354 total. Of course the UltraGauge only knows 11.1. So when it is calculating it is it is based on 11.1, a gallon consumed is a gallon consumed regardless of what amount there was to begin with.

So, 2 gallons gone almost 92 miles, can't be right, however on the UltraGauge my avg. mpg (which is cumulative from the first time I plugged it in and set it up) was reading 38.2 when I filled up this morning and is now at 38.6 which is quite a spike given I have only put apprx. 2500 miles on the car since I bought it used last Nov.

Automatic, no synthetic oil, running stock tires at 38 psi. Installed cruise control last weekend.

Is this possible? What have I miscalculated?

I am tempted to go top it off just to see what it takes, or reset the UltraGauge to start fresh.

My foot is off the throttle whenever possible, my other car is a 1988 Honda Accord LXI 5 sp and I can get 36-37 mpg in the summer.

I have to tell you, I came real close to buying a manual/ 4 dr. LB carmine red, last fall, and after spending 2 hours with some of the shadiest car salesmen in the world I got up and walked out. I bought this car used, 8775 miles on it, from the dealer loaner fleet. Clean as a whistle.

I struggled to get close to 39 mpg all winter and sometimes regretted not getting the manual. If these numbers hold up, no more regrets, will write it all off to winter gas and cold weather.

cheers,
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
I always find sometimes that the digital gauge can be inaccurate. I usually try to think of the entire tank as a whole, and not just bar by bar.

There's been times where I've lost my first bar after about 120km (80ish miles), then quickly lose my second bar at around 160km. But then I don't lose my third bar until around 270km, so the gap between the 2nd and 3rd bar was larger than the gap between the first and second.

There was also another time where I only had 3 bars left, and when I went to fill up the tank, it only took 22 litres (6ish) gallons to fill it.

FYI - 39mpg in the winter is awesome! I'm lucking if I can pull off 34mpg!

-Matt