Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #37
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Ok, I’ll start my mini-review bit by bit and will do it by mentioning the different features of this HU. Once again this unit runs a Windows CE based OS v6.0 and it has 128MB of memory. I consider this HU the newer generation compared to the older versions from china that have WinCE v5.0 64MB ram and a ‘clunky’ user interface. What I also liked about this specific unit is the high resolution LCD that does 800x480 unlike the older ones and other commercial head units that can only do 400x240.

Installation:
The installations was super simple. There’s a great tutorial stickied at the top that shows exactly how to swap out the Yaris HU (thanks to Slick’s DIY amp wire running and radio trim removal). The stock dash bezel opening is 200mm x 100mm, it’s perfect for the unit and no modification was needed. I used the same HU hardware brackets and mounting screws for the new HU. I just plugged in the supplied harness and cables into the existing connectors and radio antenna and it’s up and running. Tuck away the wires, screw in the HU and put all panels back.

I routed the USB and iPod cables under the dash and into the glove box… I couldn’t bring myself to drill any holes through. Btw, I leave my ipod nano plugged in the glove box and it charges automatically when the HU is on. I also just discovered that the USB cable can be used as a USB charger since it supplies +5V. It can charge my BT headset, iPhone, my son’s Nintendo DS, etc.. I hope this does not create a problem with the HU.

I mounted the gps antenna on top of the dashboard and not hidden underneath because I want to be certain that the satellite signals can be acquired quickly and easily by the gps.

Sound:
Though I've not yet logged many hours on this thing but for the short time I’ve had it and fiddled around with the treble/bass, I do find the sound VERY nice and it is clearly better than the stock HU the yaris had before. I keep repeating myself but It will take me a while before I can really comment in its overall performance or reliability – it does have tons of crazy features such as picture-in-picture (DVD and gps nav at same time, dual-zone display as in a remote LCD in backseat playing a movie while GPS nav running on main console LCD. It also has capabilities for a rear/backup camera, but you must buy the optional cam which you just plug into the rear of the HU camera input.

I’ll provide more comments later on… so stay tuned

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #38
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I like how it has a nice clean OEM look to it. Since it runs windows CE are there possibilities for hacks or running some windows programs?
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #39
toy_toronto
always toyin'

I have seen hacks and there is no doubt there are several out there. In the Dynavin forums (http://dynavin.freeforums.org/wolf-n...s-aio-t81.html) they talk about hacking the the main menu/media player interface and such but sounds a bit complicated (you need to register first before you can read the forums).

Here's another site where they provide utilities and different skins, however the site is in Korean

Sample menu interface: http://www.wolfzone.co.kr/index_navi.html

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #40
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Few more thoughts....

Interface:
I like the general look and placement of the physical buttons on the HU bezel. As astoman mentioned, it has an OEM feel to it.. the same type of look the navigation system that my cousin's Lexus has in his SUV. The general GUI is not perfect (not even close to) in some of the menu can be a little clunky however that is to be expected on a low-cost, windows CE platform.. expect to see a few quirks here and there but it will perform the tasks it's intended to do... seems like a fun toy so far.

** AM/FM Radio menu interface. Preset up to 24 FM station and 8 AM station. Supports RDS such as limited radio station info, current songs title, genre, etc.

DVD/Video Playback
I understand some see this as a major hazard but please, no flames. I don't intend to watch DVD movies while driving --that's just plain stupid. I have a giant HD LCD screen in the basement for that purpose. It'll be used for passengers only or as I'm waiting for people in the parking lot. There are lots of variations of these things on EBay but I made sure the one I bought is capable of Picture-in-Picture.

Clarkson on Stig: "** Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all his legs are hydraulic... "

GPS:
The unit came with 2GB SD card that contained the GPS software (Route 66) preinstalled. Route 66 works well, however i thought it wasn't as good as my tomtom or the iGO8 software which I replaced it with. I made a backup of the entire 2GB SD card on my hard drive first, then I formatted it to FAT32. I then copied the entire iGO8 with North America maps to the SD card. I was surprised that it picks up the GPS satellites very quickly (under 20 seconds) even the time when I still had the antenna hidden behind the glove box during the install. I used 2-sided tape and mounted the gps antenna on top of my dash as the final placement.

One big complain I have so far though is that there's way too many features but VERY LITTLE documentation. The manual that came with it is very high level and poorly written. I sort of have to fumble around the menus, drill down try to figure things out as I go along.

** Zoolander: "I'm not an ambi-turner". Below pic shows the PIP NAV screen on top of movie zoomed at 30%. Note the PIP size can be increased/zoomed up to 60% of screen

That's all I have for now and more to come later. I'll try to post some night shots to show the different backlighting options and how well it matches the yaris instrument panel LEDs. Yes, the buttons LED backlights can be changed to green, red, or orange on-the-fly whichever you prefer.

-toy

Old 07-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #41
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Great review so far, and your pics are great quality.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #42
WastingEons
Asphalt Veins

Drives: '09 Pacific Blue Sedan
Agreed. I ordered from autodvdgps.com and it doesnt come with the SD card and nav software, so I was wondering what type of SD card it is. From the pics I'd say miniSD?
WastingEons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #43
toy_toronto
always toyin'

thanks astroman. looking back at the pictures, they really don't do the screen justice. Screen is clearer in person with good viewing angle (well, not so clear in bright sunny days just like any others) but i'll have to peel off that damn screen protector... it looks awful.

I also think 5% of the brightness is lost due to the scrn protector, i felt it added a dull/hazy look once I applied it. I'll keep it on for now until i get a good quality replacement, i'd rather not scratch the screen.

-toy

Old 07-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #44
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastingEons View Post
Agreed. I ordered from autodvdgps.com and it doesnt come with the SD card and nav software, so I was wondering what type of SD card it is. From the pics I'd say miniSD?
The SD format you need is microSDHC. I bought an 8GB microSD for media storage (music, divx, jpegs, etc) and works without any issue. I read somewhere that older units did not support anything larger than 1GB (..or 2GB?) because the built-in reader was not SDHC compatible.

-toy

Old 07-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #45
WastingEons
Asphalt Veins

Alright thanks! Also, I know you said you use a nano, but does it also work with your iphone (listening to music)? And if so, I assume that the HU takes over full control of it?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #46
toy_toronto
always toyin'

I've not tried the iPhoine since I don't store music on it (not enough ram after apps are installed).

I'll try a couple of songs on it next time and let you know.

-toy

Old 07-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #47
toy_toronto
always toyin'

By the way, another one of the features I really like about this thing.

It has a V-CDC menu that adds capability to rip audio CDs. It claims I can rip and store up to 5 music CDs to the unit's built-in memory. I only ripped two CDs so far and took around 10-15 minutes to rip each CD.

Once loaded, it is basically a "virtual" 6-CD Changer player. You can add/delete the stored songs later on using the GUI buttons at top of screen.

-toy

Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #48
WastingEons
Asphalt Veins

Oh, very nice. I was actually wondering what that meant. The Engrish was pretty hard to follow =P
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #49
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Thanks for the autodvd link!

$100 cheaper than fleabay. I know it doesn't come with the SD card or maps but I can find those for far less than $100.

Much appreciated:D
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #50
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Just a word of caution. There's a bunch of these things floating around that run the WinCE OS, therefore are fairly open to changes and upgrades. Some could easily have the clunkier/older firmware while others may have the newer v6.0 CE like my unit.

Did you guys confirm with the vendor first before you ordered? Did you verify that all the other optional parts also come with it? (ex. gps antenna, etc)

Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #51
WastingEons
Asphalt Veins

Yeah it's got all that good stuff
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #52
toy_toronto
always toyin'

excellent!

Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #53
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Night shots...

I suck at night photography, pardon the quality....

-toy

Old 07-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #54
WastingEons
Asphalt Veins

Got mine installed today. Very sexy, thanks for all the info toy. Also, if anyone is interested; it will play music from my iPhone 4 fine, but doesn't charge it. Not that big a deal for me. Another nice feature is that it supports music playback over Bluetooth.