Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
Front bumper question

Hi All,

Last year, I had a little run in with a snow bank: My yaris spun out of control and hit a snow bank and caused my bumper to crack. I've been ignoring the issue since I had no money for a new bumper. I was looking at getting a new bumper but it's at least $300 to get one painted same color as my car.

Question here is: If I buy a primed bumper, how hard is it to do the paint job myself? What is needed and any advice would be great. Thank you all!

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I would say "don't try this", in general, but....

It depends on your tolerance for flaws. There will still be sanding, prepping and primering, then painting in a dust-free environment with good quality paint, then clear coat, then wet or color sanding, then polishing.

Blazing blue will also be very difficult to color match, and if you're buying paint in a can, you'd be taking a chance to get lucky on the color.

I've been too chicken to try it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
So sounds like I should just go for the bumper that they paint for you?

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
If you've no experience at all, then yes.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
Hi All,

Last year, I had a little run in with a snow bank: My yaris spun out of control and hit a snow bank and caused my bumper to crack. I've been ignoring the issue since I had no money for a new bumper. I was looking at getting a new bumper but it's at least $300 to get one painted same color as my car.

Question here is: If I buy a primed bumper, how hard is it to do the paint job myself? What is needed and any advice would be great. Thank you all!
I apologise for being pessimistic but I will save you a lot of time money and heartache. You will never match the colour yourself, it will look terrible and will annoy you every time you look at the car. A lot of experience is needed when mixing paint to match. Even then, in the case of a bumper it may match one wing but not the other. ( Sorry, fender is the name I think!) You may think they are the same colour, they are not. This is where the skill of a professional sprayer comes in, blending to two or three panels to give the illusion that they are all the same. Hope this explains things a little more.

Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote