Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
cherub73

Drives: toyota yaris
unable to start the car

i owned a 06 Yaris - bought the car more than 1 year ago, and seemed to encounter this problem where i am not able to start the car if i do not use a for a few days.

Is this a known issue? Any resolutions?
cherub73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Is the battery dead and you have to charge or jump it to start or is the problem something else?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
cherub73

battery not dead - the first time when i encountered this, the bat was only 6 months old.... the mechanic has no clue too... i am wondering if the rest of the yaris owners have encountered this problem
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
cherub73

and yes, it becomes alive when i jump start the car/battery...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

What does the mechanic do to get it started, or is this the first time it happened?

Does the engine turn over with the starter, or exactly what happens/doesn't happen when you turn the key?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherub73 View Post
and yes, it becomes alive when i jump start the car/battery...
In that case, it is a dead battery. The battery is too weak to start the car. If it only does it after parking the car for multiple days, then it could be that you have something installed in the car that is drawing significant power when the car is not running.

Normally with a good battery, you should be able to go 2-3 weeks without starting it and not need to jump it.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
cherub73

i did not install anything that is drwaing significant power from the car... geez... wheni try and start the car, it's has this continuous ticking sound... dunno how to describe to you
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
cherub73

when i stick the key into the ignition, it does not turn fully - probably like the first gauge with the ticking sound... usually it will turn all the way and the car will start!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
That click-click-click sound the starter is making is because the battery is LOW on voltage. The jump start brings the voltage back up, and the car can start. As CTScott said, you probably have something drawing power when the car sits, and/or your alternator isn't charging the battery fully, and/or your battery is bad.
-Get the battery tested.
-Get the alternator tested.
-Have the mechanic check the draw on the battery when the car is sitting with the key off, which will tell you if you have something drawing power, like a bad stereo or a dome light on.

Don't assume you have nothing wrong with the wiring. If you are the second owner, you don't know what the previous owner did.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote