Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
kcty

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Check engine light on

My '07 Yaris has about 34,000 miles on it and my check engine light just came on. I took it to the dealer and they said that the car had a problem with one of the cam gears. He didn't go into a lot of details, but they have the part on order and I have to take the car back tomorrow. For now they say it is safe to drive.

This is what the diagnosis was on my invoice:

Code P0012-- CAM SHAFT A OVER RETARDED BANK 1
ORDERED GEAR AND VALVE COVER GASKET

Just an FYI for people that might have the same problem soon. I know I probably have a few more miles on my car than a lot of people, so I don't know if this problem has been seen a lot yet or not.
kcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
The Scions with the 1NZ-FE get this code quite often. I believe it's a VVT-i thing. I had mine come on, brought it in had the code read, and it hasn't come on again, and that was more than a month ago.

More info on Scionlife.com: here
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
hmmm something I can look into maybe....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
kcty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
The Scions with the 1NZ-FE get this code quite often. I believe it's a VVT-i thing. I had mine come on, brought it in had the code read, and it hasn't come on again, and that was more than a month ago.

More info on Scionlife.com: here
My light came on the weekend before last during a long drive, but it went off on its own. I had another fairly long drive this weekend with a full car (I love that I can get 5 people in this little thing) and it came on again, but it has stayed on.

The service department said something about it being an idler gear problem with a known TSB and that the car wasn't currently experiencing the problem. They turned the light off and it is still off. I guess the problem will be fixed tomorrow when I take the car back.
kcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #5
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcty View Post
My light came on the weekend before last during a long drive, but it went off on its own. I had another fairly long drive this weekend with a full car (I love that I can get 5 people in this little thing) and it came on again, but it has stayed on.

The service department said something about it being an idler gear problem with a known TSB and that the car wasn't currently experiencing the problem. They turned the light off and it is still off. I guess the problem will be fixed tomorrow when I take the car back.
They said your car is not experiencing the problem, but your car set off the cel light? that seems like the dealer is trying to push you around...

if your car does something, doesnt like it enough to throw a code, something created by toyota to let them know when theres a problem, and they say oh you dont have the issue, your light basically just came on just because??

I want to know what you guys think about the dealer telling you its ok to drive your car, even with the problem. I dont know about you guys but if I knew my car had a problem the dealer was required to fix, I wouldnt drive the car until the fix was performed, "its ok to drive til then" wouldnt work for me, what do you guys think?
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
kcty

Okay, I tried to get more info out of the Asst. Service Manager this morning when I dropped the car off, but it didn't sound like he fully understood the problem so he couldn't explain it very well.

He said that he thought it was an idler/tensioner cam gear that was the problem and was throwing the timing off every now and then. He said the last timing problem probably occurred during one of the engine starts and that I probably didn't notice (which I did not). I think if the timing had be off for very long, I would have noticed it.

He said the cars timing was currently correct (which is why it was safe to drive), but I could have the same problem again if they did not replace the gear. He said something about the gear possibly being slightly the wrong size, but that doesn't make sense to me. If the gear was the wrong size (even just slightly) it would not temporarily throw the engine out of time. I think it would be off for long periods of time if not always off. Right?

Anyway, they have the car now and it will take most of the day for them to fix it. The parts list isn't too bad. Just the gear and the valve cover gasket. It doesn't sound like they will have to break the engine down too far to get it fixed. I just hope we don't start seeing more people with the same problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Thirty-Nine

As I mentioned, this is a fairly common problem with the 1NZ-FE, and yes, there is a TSB out for it for the xA and xB: TSB EG003-07.

There is also a TSB for this on the Yaris: TSB EG-010-07

Quote:
2007 model year Yaris vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown

Under certain conditions, customers may experience a M.I.L. “ON” condition with DTC P0011, P0012, or P0016 stored in the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM). In some cases, the cause of this DTC may be the VVT–i actuator. Use the procedures in this bulletin to verify the operation of the actuator and correct the condition.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
kcty

Thanks Thirty-Nine, you got it. The service guy said their was a TSB on it, but I hadn't seen it. Looks like you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks!!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
Thirty-Nine

Glad I could help!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Shroomster

update us when you get the service invoice...and show us some $0.00's hehe
Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
kcty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
update us when you get the service invoice...and show us some $0.00's hehe
lol... You bet. They were suppose to have it done today, but I called at 4:30 and he told me that they still had the engine apart. They set me up with a rental and sent me on my way. It should be done tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
kcty

Get this..... The dealer has finished working on my car, engine is back together and running fine, but it's still throwing the CEL. Nice......

The Toyota tech guys are telling them the part (I'm guessing the cam gear) is bad and they have to replace it again. Of course they don't have the part in stock, so it is on order and should be here tomorrow.

Wow..... I just want my car back. I'm starting to miss it.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
Thirty-Nine

Booo! At least they're fixing it.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #14
kcty

Yay!! I'm done abusing....... I mean driving rental cars and I'm back on the road again with my Yaris.

I picked it up last night and it seems to be running just great. Turns out they said that the replacement part wasn't bad after all, but was a piece of debris in the control valve. They didn't find that out until they replaced the cam gear again though.

Here it is.....

Gear Assy. Camsha.....$0.00
Gasket Cylinder..........$0.00
TRAC Rental..............$0.00
Labor.......................$0.00

Total Invoices...........$0.00

Don't you just love that?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
Shroomster

hehe nice...lovin' the 0's
Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #16
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
yay for warranty work
if your timing was off at a dangerous level your car would idle like a top fuel car. there is a parameter set by the ecu that if timing is slightly off the ecu will correct it automatically. however if the timing was so bad that it exceeded the set parameter the light would stay on and your car would sound like shit. basically you would know it messed up. anyways though glad your car is running better now.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #17
Toyota Technician

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris LB MT
i have done that tsb a few times on the scion xb's and it is a internal failure of the vvt-i actuator im not sure what fails in them because u cannot take the actuator apart toyota will not pay the dealer for it if they notice its been apart. and this particular repair is quite large, u have to remove the whole belt side of the engine including the timing cover to get to the tensioner, and the timing cover, which seals with fipg is even funner to get back on without wiping the fipge off the cover in 1 inch of space.
Toyota Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #18
Thirty-Nine

Good to know, Toyota Tech.