Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Armrest/storage addons??

I would like to know if anyone has either of these armrest/compartment addons.

My only concern would/is if they sit firmly.They look as though they would wobble about?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Armrest-....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/USA-Fit-For-...RUeA2I&vxp=mtr
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
I would like to know if anyone has either of these armrest/compartment addons.

My only concern would/is if they sit firmly.They look as though they would wobble about?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Armrest-....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/USA-Fit-For-...RUeA2I&vxp=mtr
I bought and installed the one in your second link. My assessment:

The Good: extra storage, matches interior quite well, fairly easy installation.

The Bad: too low to rest your arm on. Quality is questionable at best. The lid does not match up by itself. You have to align it before clicking it into place. I would not trust the rear cup holder with anything heavier than a very light and very small plastic water bottle.

Regarding your concern about it wobbling about...it's fairly sturdy and I have leaned on it and it seems solid. But, as mentioned, the lid is flimsy and the hinge is pretty weak. Pushed in the wrong direction - backwards or sideways might very well result in the cover busting off.

Would I buy it again, maybe, but just maybe.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Pinchlite

Armrest

The second one appealed to me for 2 reasons.Looked simplier then the first and it comes with red stitching option(My car is red)

I wasnt really looking for an armrest but wanted it for storage.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I have what appears to be the same as the second link. Was purchased from MicroImage when they were active. The leatherette is very, very thin and is now peeling. Also, not that it probably matters to you, but the rear cup holder is beyond useless.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
The second one appealed to me for 2 reasons.Looked simplier then the first and it comes with red stitching option(My car is red)

I wasnt really looking for an armrest but wanted it for storage.

Thanks for the input.
I see this truly as a "get what you pay for" item in a market with no other real options. I have thought about reinforcing the hinge by applying some form of strengthening - maybe JB Weld or a bent metal bracket. The lid moves easily from side to side as the box structure itself flexes. It just needs some stiffening up. Then the lid would line up and shut properly - on its own.

I would gladly have paid twice or three times as much for a higher quality, more rubust unit, provided that it was 1) high enough to rest my arm on ( I have become accustomed to resting my arm when driving) and 2) was sturdy enough to withstand the onslaughts of my two young kids. I can't believe that the cup holder remains intact. They haven't yet noticed it which is a near miracle as my son, in particular, loves fidgeting with - and often dismantling - any kind of gadget, mechanism.

If a person keeps in mind what they paid for it, I can't see him/her feeling ripped off. And I will concede that it does look great in the car and definitely provides additional storage.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I have what appears to be the same as the second link. Was purchased from MicroImage when they were active. The leatherette is very, very thin and is now peeling. Also, not that it probably matters to you, but the rear cup holder is beyond useless.
Was not planning on using the holder,would'int matter if it had one at all to me.

How long untill it started peeling?

I may just go for it.There is a local shop that does motorcycle seats etc,etc and could probaly get top wrapped in real leather.Thats allways an option.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Was not planning on using the holder,would'int matter if it had one at all to me.

How long untill it started peeling?

I may just go for it.There is a local shop that does motorcycle seats etc,etc and could probaly get top wrapped in real leather.Thats allways an option.
That's what I did, as I also have the micro image one. Once the faux leather started going, I had a local upholstery shop throw some real leather on it with blue stitching. There's pics of it in my garage.

Structurally, it's held up well. Uses a bolt to lock down into the original cup holder and aside from the faux leather coming apart after many years, it's served me very well.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Pinchlite

Center console storage.

Thanks for feedback.Just ordered up.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 AM   #9
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Don't touch the lid with the seat belt when plugging it in. It will put a hole in the fabric very easily.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Don't touch the lid with the seat belt when plugging it in. It will put a hole in the fabric very easily.
Going to have it covered in real leather as soon as it arrives.

I will keep the seatbelt buckle in mind though.