Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
08blackyari
slowpoke

Drives: 08 blk LB manu. pwr opt & cld
Possible engine noise, with video. Please help!!

Hello All,

I recently bent my front right rim by hitting a curb pretty hard, which resulted in me changing the rim and all four tires (they were due anyways). Well, since I have a motorcycle I haven't driven the Yaris much since the rim was changed but noticed today, while at idle, that a strange noise was coming from the engine bay. I don't really want to say what the sound was, for fear of influencing your ear, so if you could please give it a listen and reply with some thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARIigm4PlVE
08blackyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
So...I heard the noise mainly from the right side of the engine (side with pulleys). Did you reeve it sligthly to see if it quickens with the pulleys? Any visual damage to that side with regard to the engine? Can you say it is definitely no the exhaust...no smell?

That sound is slightly frightening.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
08blackyari
slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
So...I heard the noise mainly from the right side of the engine (side with pulleys). Did you reeve it sligthly to see if it quickens with the pulleys? Any visual damage to that side with regard to the engine? Can you say it is definitely no the exhaust...no smell?

That sound is slightly frightening.
I hear it from the right side as well but didn't reeve it to investigate more. I'll do so tomorrow and post my findings. The car, in spite of the noise, drives fine...but i'm still worried.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
08blackyari
slowpoke

I took the car in to the dealer, since it still was under the power train warranty, and had it inspected. Well, apparently a bearing in the water-pump went bad so the whole pump was replaced, as was the serpentine belt. Needless to say, the low rumbling went away!!!! And for free!!!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hmm the wp issue is weill known but now we know to suspect it when there is engine noise also...
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote