Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

Yup, it's back in the US after a decade long absence. This time as a very low end sub-compact.

1.2L inline 3 with a raging 74 hp. In the US! Almost unheard of.

Mitsubishi is claiming it will be the most fuel efficient non-hybrid car in the US, although official EPA ratings are pending. They're expecting 37/44 MPG.

Personally, I think we're looking at a loser. I don't expect sales to be much at all. It looks extremely cheap, kinda 3rd world like. Like it was designed in China or worse. Very dated looking even before it goes on sale. It will start cheap, but not really any less than the much better Versa. So who will sign up?

Wow, look at how cheap and flat that rear bench is...

What are your thoughts?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Looks quite basic, but a clean design with very nice lines. I like it.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I'm really looking forward to driving this one. It may be a worthy competitor against the Spark, although, its styling isn't nearly as forward.

I put together a little Mirage Vs. Spark comparison on the blog:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...hi-mirage.html

Will it single-handedly save Mitsubishi? Probably not. But, Mitsubishi needs to make a name for itself again. We'll have to see as to whether or not the Mirage will do that.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Will it single-handedly save Mitsubishi? Probably not. But, Mitsubishi needs to make a name for itself again. We'll have to see as to whether or not the Mirage will do that.
It's sad to see how badly Mitsubishi has fallen. They used to make a lot of good contenders, and now they are almost completely ignored. Any worse, and they'll have to pull out of the US. If they're going to compete, they'll need to try harder than this.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
It's sad to see how badly Mitsubishi has fallen. They used to make a lot of good contenders, and now they are almost completely ignored. Any worse, and they'll have to pull out of the US. If they're going to compete, they'll need to try harder than this.
I agree 100%. As someone who grew up with Mitsubishi vehicles ('86 Colt/Mirage, '90 Eclipse, '92 Expo LRV, '94 Eclipse, '97 Montero Sport), I was always championing the brand. However, they've fallen off dramatically.

I think the new Mirage looks dated already. I also don't think they'll make too much profit off of each vehicle (no company does off of their subcompacts). They need a product that gets people to notice. Something that makes them seek out their local dealerships. This is obviously much easier said than done. Look at Suzuki. The Kizashi was a very good automobile, all in all. However, the lack of recognition, the tiny dealer network, and an inability to effectively market the product was the straw that broke the camel's back (among other things).

I'm rooting for Mitsubishi, I really am. But on paper, I don't know why someone would choose the Mirage over the Spark unless they 1) don't like American cars 2) hate the Spark's looks, or 3) Hate Chevy/GM in general. Hey—maybe the Mirage will drive head-and-shoulders better than the Spark in terms of driving dynamics, though ...

Unfortunately, I think the Mirage might be a "low card" when when Mitsubishi really need an ace. I hope I'm wrong. Unlike GM, I don't think Mitsubishi has the marketing budget to promote their subcompact car like Chevy has.

This brings me to the bigger picture, which is, what is Mitsubishi's follow-up act going to be? Lancer replacement? New CUVs?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Bleh. I too expect this isn't going to be a good seller...
Old 08-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Seen this in the fleshhh rrr metal. Small but roomy inside.It has more cargo than lets say VW up which i have seen in the fleshhh errr metal.It has more power, it's a leader in it's class. I like it CHECKED OUT the suzuki Alto and Nissan Micra as well. The Nissan has the same cargo space and leg room as the Mirage front and back.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
G-Ammo

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009; 1.0 3 Cil.
SLAM THAT SHIT! :D

That'll be awesome :3
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Nothing wrong with another affordable option for people who don't want to spend $20k OTD for an affordable commuter.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I like the look personally. Not sure about the engine though. I see future 4G63t swaps pondering thru peoples minds... hehehe
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We loved the Colt and Champ from '81 > '87 along with a '92 Eagle Summit sedan ( bought new ) . Could find them used for $125 > $700 . Would do tune ups , brake work , and oil changes . Had someone replace a clutch on several for under $400 . They would usually last for a few years or more . Really liked an '82 2 door Champ with a 1.6 ltr. engine and twin stick which was 4 speed manual with a another lever for Power / Economy mode . The Power mode lowered the gear ratio for climbing hills. Helped going through deep snow coupled with studded snows . Miss those days of cheap cars that were easy to fix up .

Last edited by Hershey; 08-28-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
We loved the Colt and Champ from '81 > '87 along with a '92 Eagle Summit sedan ( bought new ) . Could find them used for $125 > $700 . Would do tune ups , brake work , and oil changes . Had someone replace a clutch on several for under $400 . They would usually last for a few years or more . Really liked an '82 2 door Champ with a 1.6 ltr. engine and twin stick which was 4 speed manual with a another lever for Power / Economy mode . The Power mode lowered the gear ratio for climbing hills. Really helped going through deep snow coupled with studded snows . Miss those days of cheap cars that were easy to fix up .
My parents had an '80 Champ in red. Neat little car.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
Hershey

Very fun to drive . Come to think of it , we had 3 or 4 from '80 . Two had the 3 speed auto and few with the 4 speed manual . The clutch was very easy to use . The other 1/2 had no problem with them , they're her all time favorite manuals . They had the 1.4 ltr. engine . Liked the pop out window for the rear . Those would be nice for YARIS hatches and other makes . Why they did away with those is beyond me . .
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I personally have never seen a good Mitsubishi.

Some were fun cars while brand new, but I've never seen one that you thought would go 500,000 miles.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I agree 100%. As someone who grew up with Mitsubishi vehicles ('86 Colt/Mirage, '90 Eclipse, '92 Expo LRV, '94 Eclipse, '97 Montero Sport), I was always championing the brand. However, they've fallen off dramatically.

I think the new Mirage looks dated already. I also don't think they'll make too much profit off of each vehicle (no company does off of their subcompacts). They need a product that gets people to notice. Something that makes them seek out their local dealerships. This is obviously much easier said than done. Look at Suzuki. The Kizashi was a very good automobile, all in all. However, the lack of recognition, the tiny dealer network, and an inability to effectively market the product was the straw that broke the camel's back (among other things).

I'm rooting for Mitsubishi, I really am. But on paper, I don't know why someone would choose the Mirage over the Spark unless they 1) don't like American cars 2) hate the Spark's looks, or 3) Hate Chevy/GM in general. Hey—maybe the Mirage will drive head-and-shoulders better than the Spark in terms of driving dynamics, though ...

Unfortunately, I think the Mirage might be a "low card" when when Mitsubishi really need an ace. I hope I'm wrong. Unlike GM, I don't think Mitsubishi has the marketing budget to promote their subcompact car like Chevy has.

This brings me to the bigger picture, which is, what is Mitsubishi's follow-up act going to be? Lancer replacement? New CUVs?
I agree as well...and I had a 91 Colt and a (can't remember the year) Galant VR-4 AWD.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
They have a bigger boot/ trunk than the 2nd Gen Yari.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
Hershey

Made a mistake . 3 '80 Colts . Two were automatic and one a 4 speed manual .
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Isn't Mitsubishi leaving the U.S.A?

I constantly hear their radio advertisements of "Buy one get one free". LOL