Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The Kia Ray - impressive new hybrid concept!

Quote:
After developing a handful of production-ready alternative-fuel vehicles, Kia has looked a little further into the future this time. The result is the Kia Ray, a plug-in hybrid sedan that combines a laundry list of eco-friendly features with a futuristic design that isn't meant to look like just another Prius fighter.

Built on the same platform as the Kia Forte sedan, the Ray features a 1.4-liter inline-4 engine that sends power to the front wheels through a continuously variable transmission (CVT). A 78-kilowatt (105 horsepower) motor is also used to power the car either on its own or in conjunction with the gas engine.

Kia says the electric motor is designed to propel the Ray up to 50 miles on a charge before the gas engine needs to kick in. It also says the Ray gets 202 mpg, which gives it a total range of 746 miles. That's all theoretical of course, so it could be 746 miles or it could be 74.6 miles — nobody really knows.

The Ray's performance figures are not the point here, though. It's really all about seeing how many eco-friendly pieces of technology will fit into one relatively compact sedan. Take the exterior, for instance. It clearly sports a slippery shape to reduce drag, but it's also covered in nano-laminate film to keep the interior cool and reduce the need for all those harmful emissions from the air-conditioning. Solar cells on the roof also generate a trickle charge to run a fan that further cools the interior.

On the inside, the Ray features a typical concept car interior complete with "floating" white leather seats, mesh door panels and a push-button transmission. Kia also notes that the floor is covered in everybody's favorite renewable resource, "100 percent earthy mocha wool."

On the technology side, the Ray features an Infinity GreenEdge sound system that uses lighter speakers and low-consumption amplifiers that use less overall power than conventional systems. Kia's new UVO entertainment system has also been integrated for full voice-activated control of the car's media system.
Looks really nice IMO. Not perfect, but manages to be totally original in design rather tha a copy-cat like many Kia's in the past.

Too bad we'll probably never see it produced (at least like this).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kia_ray_f34_ns_21010_717.jpg (101.6 KB, 81 views)
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Nice looking I guess.

However, I agree that it's a shame that it wiil probaly never reach production in that form.

All market research shows that the money is in (boring) faimly oriented cars like the Pirus, etc.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
copycat

reventon chin, mitsubishi front, dodge stratus back end, pontiac aztec butt.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yeah and it's also got "Model T" round wheels.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Yeah and it's also got "Model T" round wheels.
I noticed that. damn copycats

probably has a steering wheel in it too...yup..I checked. lame-o

:D
Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
copycat

You're kidding right? An argument can be made that any car draws characteristics from something else. A car that is completely unique, is more that likely ugly or outrageous.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
You're kidding right? An argument can be made that any car draws characteristics from something else. A car that is completely unique, is more that likely ugly or outrageous.
no I am not kidding. (well ya I am kidding)

Have you looked at the rear end of that concept ?

the designers (as usual) got to the back of the vehicle, and then
completely got writers block and just slapped up something to beat
the deadline. it is obvious.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
copycat

front end, especially the headlights, reminds me of the newer mazdas.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
no rear view mirrors.... hard to imagine it's final form, but know I won't like it as much as this concept. I always like the concept better.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Banned

perhaps ?

twin rear view cameras display on the dash. the dark spots on the
pods where a mirror would be are cameras (maybe...that is how I would do it)
Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
would like to know more about the speakers... does lightweight mean light moving parts or the whole thing is lightweight.

I have a hard time believing they are anything new... and in fact might end up being horrible speakers (relative to mediocre oem stereos of course) for practically no reason other than it sounds like they are new and "GREEN".

I'm all up for more competition in the high fuel efficiency market... Good for them... hope they do come out with a hybrid, even if it doesn't look like this.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
It also has solar panels in the roof to catch the suns rays...which is why they called it the ray. They said that the solar panel would go to power the lighting and climate controls in the car.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Video here...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote