Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #973
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
OK,,.... now I'm understanding the concept... so to bring my stage towards the windshield I need to aim my speakers towards each other, like you did! mmm that's tricky stuff but I'm learning, if that's the case....

The SAGA continues and redoing the mids in the a-pillar is what I'm going to do!

So are these some tricks from the HAT team? or it's been around for a while, we should make a book on how to... like one of those "3 Way Front Stage for Dummies"

Thanks

D.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #974
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
D,

None of the placement is from the team...it was all from placement at the shop. I've gained other jewels of knowledge from the team. None of which I will reveal here.

If I was going to use your setup, I'd look at several placements. I would first try the mid on the bottom of the a-pillar aimed across toward the opposite seat headrest. Listen to the IASCA drumbeat track or even better the three voices (Left, Center, and Right) in the IASCA disc. These two will start the imaging and depth process for you.

Let's just start with the mid for right now. Don't even worry about the tweeter yet.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #975
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Do either one of you gents have airbag curtains in the pillar? what kind of wiring is in the bottom of the pillar to worry about?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #976
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Do either one of you gents have airbag curtains in the pillar? what kind of wiring is in the bottom of the pillar to worry about?
I don't have that problem, no air bags in the a-pillars.

D.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #977
sickpuppy1

Stupid airbags! LOL I may mount my tweeter up there with the provided enclosure, just to get away from the OEM speakers for the mean time. The head is movable/ aimable so it would give an idea of placement when I build a permanent enclosure for it.
I've even thought of mounting it on the door, up on that black plastic piece in front , but have been reading all the comments on staging.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #978
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I have the airbag option. The side curtain bags are actually at the top of the door. The bag does come down to the top of the a-pillar enough to be able to knock it out when deploying.

Notice the side in this picture with the headliner down:

Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #979
sickpuppy1

Wow, Thanks SQ, thats a help! Was that taken when deadening the roof? Probably a good idea to undo negative wire to battery like I've heard?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #980
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

The map lights and the done light are the only concerns. I didn't undo the battery in my case.

When you ask what was taken, what do you mean? Are you asking what did it take to remove the headliner? As I recall, the most difficult part was the sun visors. Everything else was just a matter of process. Note that there is wiring attached to the headliner with tape, so don't just go all out ripping it down. Be careful.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #981
sickpuppy1

I meant when was the picture taken,lol. The roof will be the last for me. First the doors, then the floor, then the trunk area, then the roof. How much does the trunk area quiet the car. I realize it gives better acoustics for a sub. But how much permeates into the cabin?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #982
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Yes, the roof was the last part of the car I deadened. The noise floor is noticeably reduced the closer the deadening is to you. Since we have sedans, we have the trunk noise stiffled by the back seats. Still, you should feel my trunk lid...it's heavy. The nice thing is, there are no rattles. That's what we're going for.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #983
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
How much does the trunk area quiet the car. I realize it gives better acoustics for a sub. But how much permeates into the cabin?
Trunk is very noisy, I like the way the bass feels with one seat folded down, but I hear a lot of road noise, Yes it helps acoustics for sure! it's a must to combat rattles.

D.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 AM   #984
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I had to take out my rear speakers because of my amp rack that takes up the space where the woofer would normally fire through. You can imagine that my back deck is a little deadened.

Damn 15"s! :P

I'm working on the idea of four 6" sub woofers though...
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #985
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I had to take out my rear speakers because of my amp rack that takes up the space where the woofer would normally fire through. You can imagine that my back deck is a little deadened.

Damn 15"s! :P

I'm working on the idea of four 6" sub woofers though...
I took out the rear speakers too, but still sounds better with one of the seats folded down.

Wait a minute... four (4) 6" sub woofers? wow, how is that going to help in SQ?

D.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #986
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

:D

I can put all four up in the dash...and put 900 watts to them. No need for an elaborate trunk woofer install.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #987
derickveliz2

Quote:
:D

I can put all four up in the dash...and put 900 watts to them. No need for an elaborate trunk woofer install.
very interesting, please expand... I guess there is a lot of building...

D.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #988
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

There's some space in the dash where one could probably find .6 to 1.2 ft^3 of space. I'd like to try that with .6 to start and see what the results are. The dash is built on a frame. One could start the enclosure off the dash frame...

I'll probably wait to do that for later this year or after SBN 2012. It would radically change the sound stage (for the better) and I don't know if I want to go into IASCA finals trying to re-tune the car. I'd like to have some time to tune. Unless someone wants to buy my ML3800 off me. I'd work a damned good deal. THAT would force me to start the idea now.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #989
derickveliz2

Quote:
D,

If I was going to use your setup, I'd look at several placements. I would first try the mid on the bottom of the a-pillar aimed across toward the opposite seat headrest. Listen to the IASCA drumbeat track or even better the three voices (Left, Center, and Right) in the IASCA disc. These two will start the imaging and depth process for you.

Let's just start with the mid for right now. Don't even worry about the tweeter yet.
Wait! that is how my Mids are right now!

D.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 PM   #990
derickveliz2

Exclamation

Quote:
Oh GAWD...
I'm noticing huge frequency gaps on the crossover section on your setup.
Yes, there is a big one... and I can tell you it's the Hifonics Zeus 6.5 driver in the doors. (and a little bit the 10" Bazoka tube)
This is where a not so expensive driver struggles to reproduce frequencies in this case Mid-Bass between 50 Hz and 100 Hz, the door's enclosure doesn't help either. The Zeus are not bad, they sound very good. That's why I had to leave that gap and set the HPF so high (100 Hz), they just can't play lower than that when pushed hard.

That's is why I got the Legatia 6 a 7" mid-bass drivers that would go in kickpanels, not in the doors.

D.