Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What month would be best for everyone and would you go?
June / Yes 16 41.03%
June / No 5 12.82%
July / Yes 30 76.92%
July/ No 5 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #73
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
If you guys factor in mountain runs and ripping up the canyons, take into consideration the can of worms that could open up. Following the ground rules of any planned and organized event, safety is the MOST important issue with any event. The organizer is putting themselves at great risk in the event something happens to someone under the direction or leadership resulting in an accident. Don't get me wrong, if the OP wants this to be as big as he wants it to be, he needs to think everything through and these are the most important issues. It sounds like he wants it to be more than just a hand full of cars gathering in a parking lot of a Chick Fi La. With tracks and courses comes insurance to back it up in case of problems.

I love the ideas coming in here, OJ is a great guy and I'm sure he can make this happen for all of us. I love the Colorado idea myself.
i thought of this already but at the same time, at no point did the op ever say it was his event or he would take responsibility. to drive on public streets in a group the insurance of the drive is held liable (and considering most of us are driving half way accross the country we should definatly make sure our insurance is in order)

as for the possibility of a track event, usually the tracks will have insurance (hence the hefty fee to use the track) personally for the most part i think this meet will be mostly about meeting in a parking lot (i dont know what a chick fi la is but sure) getting to know the other fellow yaris owners and getting faces to the names and some sight seeing and some long caravans on some nice winding roads. very responsible but at the same time fun and cool.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #74
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i thought of this already but at the same time, at no point did the op ever say it was his event or he would take responsibility. to drive on public streets in a group the insurance of the drive is held liable (and considering most of us are driving half way accross the country we should definatly make sure our insurance is in order)

as for the possibility of a track event, usually the tracks will have insurance (hence the hefty fee to use the track) personally for the most part i think this meet will be mostly about meeting in a parking lot (i dont know what a chick fi la is but sure) getting to know the other fellow yaris owners and getting faces to the names and some sight seeing and some long caravans on some nice winding roads. very responsible but at the same time fun and cool.
So who is organizing the ideas then? I'm totally reading that the OP wants to head this up. If I am wrong, there still has to be organization. Tracks do charge yes, but there are also many behind the scenes aspects that include paperwork for these events. It would have to be one hell of an event to stand alone or have it at a track night with walk-ins (probably the best way to go). The track having insurance is true, but most entries have to provide proof of insurance, ID etc. Just saying these thing can't be overlooked. Contacts with the event schedulers and owners might even yield a big discount on entry as well.

Never heard of Chick Fi La??? OMG, the best spicey Chicken sammie EVER I'd probably have to cross the boarder just to have one myself lol. Let me know and I can ship one haha

Don't get me wrong, but this is a huge undertaking that needs direction if the OP just wants to throw it out there and not follow through with an idea. It's a great idea. I've done similar with ImportAlliance each year and the list starts out huge and by the end few people commit.

OP? When you have the general month set, will you be taking on the next step of organizing this?

As of right now, I'm in. This is a great idea and would love to hob-nob it with fellow YW members. Its a great way to put the community name out there. Even contacting online magazines/off the rack magazines outlets to inform them of the event might even yield some media coverage. The more people know about it the better the turnout. Open it up to other vehicles expands the community name as well. I saw someone mention this earlier as well.

Word of mouth is the greatest tool you can have, as well as all the other members in this community.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #75
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
So Kcalb are you suggesting the OP get everyone to sign waivers or something? I can see why you might be concerned when it comes to safety but I guess I'm just not sure what you are suggesting the OP do about that. I was kinda thinking, while I'm sure we'd all like a big turnout, this is really just a get together. Not sure how that makes any one person responsible for the actions of the group or one particular individual. Maybe I'm missing something but anyway that's why I'm trying to get a more detailed understanding of how you think we should proceed with this.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #76
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
So what is wrong with me suggesting a venue close to my home when you have chosen Texas or somewhere close to where YOU live. Fair is fair. Why don't you just have the meet in Alaska.
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #77
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
So Kcalb are you suggesting the OP get everyone to sign waivers or something? I can see why you might be concerned when it comes to safety but I guess I'm just not sure what you are suggesting the OP do about that. I was kinda thinking, while I'm sure we'd all like a big turnout, this is really just a get together. Not sure how that makes any one person responsible for the actions of the group or one particular individual. Maybe I'm missing something but anyway that's why I'm trying to get a more detailed understanding of how you think we should proceed with this.
Get togethers happen at the burger joint around the corner. Having the idea to cross the country for a Yarisworld Nationals says to someone that it is bigger than just a get together. I think we all agree on safety....sixteen yrs ago, I would have had a different point of view and so did my 454 lol. There is no arguement that we all want what the OP wants, a huge gathering? What will drive this community to come is my question and who will drive it? I've had two years of exp gathering members from two forums as well as Facebook, sponsers including NST, Sparks, MI and a few others to gather in one place. It's harder than it looks. My suggestions are just that. Getting the word out there is not enough to get a huge gathering together. It requires a lot of legwork. Believe me, I want to be there, but the location is the least of the worries. I drive 10 plus hours a year to Nashville to do the same thing. ImportAlliance is a great example of what people will drive thousands of miles for. It all revolves around getting the commitment and then having members show up. The rest is easy. So all in all, I'm hoping the OP (or someone else, as a few people have pointed out) takes the time to do their homework and really makes a go at this. Like I said, the place is the least of anyones worries. It's making sure they show up and making sure they are heard. The rest is gravy.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #78
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1950 View Post
So what is wrong with me suggesting a venue close to my home when you have chosen Texas or somewhere close to where YOU live. Fair is fair. Why don't you just have the meet in Alaska.
At no point did i suggest texas. actually my first suggestion was utah because someone was asking for scenic areas. And Odessa, Tx to Moab, UT is over 12 hours whereas VA to MD is like 3 hours.

My other suggestions were Colorado, whose state capital is over 11 hours from me, and Missouri, whose capital is 13 hours away from me.

Do you really not see the difference between my suggestions where I'm actually taking into consideration the good of the group and you picking a place because it's close to home?

I'm really not trying to be an ass but if we can't all compromise a little on distance then this idea isn't gonna get very far.

EDIT: Also I am trying to collect an entire set of state magnets by visiting each state with my family. A meet like this in VA would be a good opportunity for me to get some of those magnets from the east coast as that's the half of the country I really haven't been to. So I got no problem driving to Virginia or Maryland or even Alaska. But I know there is more to take into consideration than what I want.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #79
frownonfun

Quote:
Get togethers happen at the burger joint around the corner. Having the idea to cross the country for a Yarisworld Nationals says to someone that it is bigger than just a get together. I think we all agree on safety....sixteen yrs ago, I would have had a different point of view and so did my 454 lol. There is no arguement that we all want what the OP wants, a huge gathering? What will drive this community to come is my question and who will drive it? I've had two years of exp gathering members from two forums as well as Facebook, sponsers including NST, Sparks, MI and a few others to gather in one place. It's harder than it looks. My suggestions are just that. Getting the word out there is not enough to get a huge gathering together. It requires a lot of legwork. Believe me, I want to be there, but the location is the least of the worries. I drive 10 plus hours a year to Nashville to do the same thing. ImportAlliance is a great example of what people will drive thousands of miles for. It all revolves around getting the commitment and then having members show up. The rest is easy. So all in all, I'm hoping the OP (or someone else, as a few people have pointed out) takes the time to do their homework and really makes a go at this. Like I said, the place is the least of anyones worries. It's making sure they show up and making sure they are heard. The rest is gravy.
I see what you're saying. But I do disagree that location doesn't matter. But hey, that's just my humble opinion. If everyone can come up with enough other reasons and organize it in a way that entices as many people to show up as possible without taking location into account then I'm all for that.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #80
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moratiya View Post
im from mexico, but count me in, not a problem for me i'll drive to the us.
Holy moly from Mexico? I am glad you would want to come.

I have been reading but havent had a chance to say about much, not only that I was in a accident 2 days ago lucky me it wasent the Yaris, so now I am out a car but really very greatfully I am still alive, because it could have went waaaaaaay lot worst,so when I get home ill say my fair share about all this
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #81
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:

OP? When you have the general month set, will you be taking on the next step of organizing this?
Yup
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM   #82
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Porque no usas el insurance del otro auto para el Yaris :o
Old 11-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #83
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I drive 10 plus hours a year to Nashville to do the same thing. ImportAlliance is a great example of what people will drive thousands of miles for.
I still don't quite get why everyone wouldn't just show up for that instead. It's an established meet, with Yaris owners gathering there for at least the last two years, and plans already forming for next year. I've already made a commitment to it.

I think it's going to be difficult to create a whole new meet., but best of luck to you if you do it, I hope it rocks.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #84
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
I'm also sorry if I came off as an ass, but I was just thinking in general about a huge meet like this. I have no problem traveling either, I have been to Los Alamos, Sarasota and Pittsburgh this year. It's just that I'm 60 years old and sometimes I get cranky. I am sorry about that. Crystal City is a fairly decent place on the east coast. I would NEVER consider having anything in Baltimore because of the high crime rate in the city. The suburbs are nice but we have trouble there too. It's the nature of any large city and the surrounding area. This meet, wherever it is, should be somewhere where we can feel safe and it should be somewhere easy to find and able to accomodate several hundred people with vehicles.
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #85
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
It's just that I'm 60 years old and sometimes I get cranky.
oh crap, I only have 8 years to go.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #86
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
oh crap, I only have 8 years to go.
You're 52? Holy crap never would of guessed.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #87
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

racing keeps me young
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #88
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I still don't quite get why everyone wouldn't just show up for that instead. It's an established meet, with Yaris owners gathering there for at least the last two years, and plans already forming for next year. I've already made a commitment to it.

I think it's going to be difficult to create a whole new meet., but best of luck to you if you do it, I hope it rocks.

My guess is some people kinda want something we can maybe call our own. But you are right in that this is probably our best bet. What are the dates of the IA meet again?

EDIT: Plus I was in Nashville this past summer and there ain't much to look at. In fact it is kind of a ghetto ass town if you ask me. Still think some place scenic would be nice but idk.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #89
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i think it would be cool to meet up at import alliance also seeing as how many other cars are gonna be there so even if only 3 ppl go its not a waste.

where is import alliance? nashville or cali? i always thought it was in cali.

but at the same time i dont wana cross cross a country to see cars, id like a nice scenery and a sick mountain drive.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #90
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

So Colorado Springs it is

All in favor post " I "