Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #307
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Well found a problem with my car I wasn't anticipating, while checking my compression travel I realized I have a little less than 2" of compression travel...not good. Not sure how I'm going to fix this one.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #308
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Well found a problem with my car I wasn't anticipating, while checking my compression travel I realized I have a little less than 2" of compression travel...not good. Not sure how I'm going to fix this one.
I have about 1.5" before I hit the front bumpstops. How are your fronts built? We cut the ears off the tubes and moved them up to get an extra .5" when they were first built. You can always go up on spring rate.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #309
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

The ears are welded on I believe but I'd have to double check. I've got roughly an inch or so of compression travel before I hit bump stop travel and another inch or so of bump stop travel.

I just put my stiffer springs on but I'm guessing I might need to go even stiffer to get around this problem with my current struts. I'm thinking of just grabbing a set of Koni race inserts and modifying my kyb struts or just picking up a set of tubes from some random company. I'll talk to Bilstein tomorrow to see if they can shorten the shock body, but guessing from the response I got last time I don't think its going to be something they'll do.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #310
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
The ears are welded on I believe but I'd have to double check. I've got roughly an inch or so of compression travel before I hit bump stop travel and another inch or so of bump stop travel.

I just put my stiffer springs on but I'm guessing I might need to go even stiffer to get around this problem with my current struts. I'm thinking of just grabbing a set of Koni race inserts and modifying my kyb struts or just picking up a set of tubes from some random company. I'll talk to Bilstein tomorrow to see if they can shorten the shock body, but guessing from the response I got last time I don't think its going to be something they'll do.
Are your fronts inverted?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #311
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yeah the fronts are inverted.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #312
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Yeah the fronts are inverted.
Should be easy to cut the tabs off and install a new set further up - assuming you are not to close to the axle already.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #313
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well I found part of the problem, it appears I have 2 giant bump stops inside the housing so I can probably axe one and be safe. That should net me close to an inch.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #314
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
How did you discover the problem? I just went back to stock bump stops on my Tokico blues/Tien S-techs after running last summer with a 2" chop. I'm concerned about "riding" the stops, but not sure how I would find out.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #315
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I was measuring how much travel I had along with bumpsteer and camber gain/loss.

So basically I yanked the spring off and cycled the suspension and took measurements of everything. If you have some free time and can remove your spring its pretty easy to do, since I have coilovers its really easy for me to do.

I'm sitting at about a 2" drop give or take maybe a little less.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #316
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
DAMN. Fancy guy!

I'm going to get coilovers just so you can come over and do that on my car :)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #317
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
DAMN. Fancy guy!

I'm going to get coilovers just so you can come over and do that on my car :)
Its almost as easy to do with lowering springs, since the tophat doesn't normally require pre tensioning.

I had last years STC champ take a trip in my car today and got tips on getting my car setup. So now its off to find very stiff springs 600lb+ and remove my FSB.

Here is a video of the practice course, really fun course but with the decreasing radius sweepers I was having a hard time.

Also managed to Max out the amount of camber I can get somewhere in the 4+ degree range knuckle is hitting the strut body so can't go any further. First time my tires ever wore evenly though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJX7...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #318
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
new tires arrived for the season. Mounted and Balanced.

Gotta break them in this week before autocross next sunday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130427_161614_400.jpg (457.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #319
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
How did you discover the problem? I just went back to stock bump stops on my Tokico blues/Tien S-techs after running last summer with a 2" chop. I'm concerned about "riding" the stops, but not sure how I would find out.
The easiest way to check travel on your suspension is an old circle track trick that we used to do with our road race Nissan. All you need is a ziptie that you place just above the bump stop around the strut/shock piston shaft, take it out run it and see where the ziptie ends up. Then just measure the distance between bump stop and ziptie and there you have it shock travel.

Riding on the bump stops is not bad thing, it save the internals of your strut/shocks, shorter housings with shorter inserts will be the next item of choice.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #320
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Its almost as easy to do with lowering springs, since the tophat doesn't normally require pre tensioning.

I had last years STC champ take a trip in my car today and got tips on getting my car setup. So now its off to find very stiff springs 600lb+ and remove my FSB.

Here is a video of the practice course, really fun course but with the decreasing radius sweepers I was having a hard time.

Also managed to Max out the amount of camber I can get somewhere in the 4+ degree range knuckle is hitting the strut body so can't go any further. First time my tires ever wore evenly though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqJX7...ature=youtu.be
Check with these folks, I've run their springs for years and you can get them at almost any Hot Rod/Circle Track dealer in the US and Canada.http://www.bluecoilspring.com/
I alway bought mine from Hank Thomas Speed Parts in Wimston-Salem NC.... http://www.hankthomasperformance.com/

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #321
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Well today was champ day, car was better today, but def needs the front end worked out. There was another Yaris today, and he looked really good out there. I was honestly shocked at how composed and flat the car was, given the lighter springs he was running.
The secondary driver would have given me a run for my money too but I was running in another class to avoid that beatdown. I think that car how its setup now with better tires would be a hard car to beat.
The only solice I can take is I beat the reigning STU national Champ

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #322
CrankyOldMan

Congrats! Looks like all of your hard work is paying off. Do you by chance know what setup the other Yaris had?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #323
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

From the brief conversations I had with him, he was running fortune coilovers with 4kf/6kr, 23mm Ultra Racing swaybar, he was using the upper bolt hole on the rear torsion beam, and federal 595 rsr tires.
It definitely look really good out there.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #324
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
...he was running fortune coilovers with 4kf/6kr, 23mm Ultra Racing swaybar, he was using the upper bolt hole on the rear torsion beam, and federal 595 rsr tires.
Yikes. I think I'm running slinkies and pogo sticks in comparison. =P