Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #1
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
FS: CUSCO Compact S Coilovers (SoCal)

Please see my Cusco Coilovers For Sale in Classifieds Here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3234
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i noticed in the weight reduction thread that you got the coilovers. why are you sellling them so soon??? what are the spring rates? what are you getting instead??

edit: i see the rates now, thats an awfully high front rate compared to the rear. the stock rates are higher in the rear. why are the only springs available for our car with a higher rear rate, the tein springs?? hmm FWD suspensions confuse me :)
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
i noticed in the weight reduction thread that you got the coilovers. why are you sellling them so soon??? what are the spring rates? what are you getting instead??

edit: i see the rates now, thats an awfully high front rate compared to the rear. the stock rates are higher in the rear. why are the only springs available for our car with a higher rear rate, the tein springs?? hmm FWD suspensions confuse me :)
The Cusco setup up is a great coilover and the rates are just right for a street car that will see occasional track use. For the price and quality these can't be beat!

I picked up a set of SK RMA8 coilovers since I'm planning to do a lot more track driving. I'm installing them today and will find out if they are worth the extra cost ($2000 vs. $1260 for the Cusco) but I doubt the difference will be worthwile. The main reason I got them is that I'd like to try different options for this car

The reason the Yaris spring rates look strange to you is because the rear spring is not mounted in a "true coilover" position, it sits outboard in a separate spring cup. This location changes the effective spring rate of the spring in comparison to a true spring over shock design. Also keep in mind that there is very little weight in the rear of this vehicle, it has a very short wheelbase, and the trailing arm suspension design does a great job of reducing roll already without needing an extremely stiff spring to do the job. Overall a lower spring rate will allow for better grip/traction and a better ride feel.
The only reason the front rates are so high is because the front Macpherson strut suspension relies on spring rate more to reduce roll and the stock front sway bar is pretty wimpy.

After driving on the Cuscos for the last couple of months compared to the Tanabe DF210 springs I had before, the car became 100% better and more fun to drive. The difference a well tuned suspension can make when compared to a stock shock and performance lowering spring is amazing! It never ceases to amaze me how well this little car handles and how potent it is once dialed in, if you really want to feel this from your car the coilovers are the only option in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Fastnx

Drives: Nissan NX2000
Quote:
The reason the Yaris spring rates look strange to you is because the rear spring is not mounted in a "true coilover" position, it sits outboard in a separate spring cup. This location changes the effective spring rate of the spring in comparison to a true spring over shock design. Also keep in mind that there is very little weight in the rear of this vehicle, it has a very short wheelbase, and the trailing arm suspension design does a great job of reducing roll already without needing an extremely stiff spring to do the job. Overall a lower spring rate will allow for better grip/traction and a better ride feel.
The only reason the front rates are so high is because the front Macpherson strut suspension relies on spring rate more to reduce roll and the stock front sway bar is pretty wimpy
So Toyota was way off when it spec'd the stock springs?
Fastnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnx View Post
So Toyota was way off when it spec'd the stock springs?
No. Not if your goal is to make a decent handling car with a priority on comfort and safety for a wide range of drivers.

If you don't corner aggressively or take your car to the limits of the stock suspension, there is nothing "wrong" with the stock suspension. I was very pleased with it on my daily commute, though it did have a little more body roll then I'm used to.

If you plan to drive aggressively, corner fast, brake hard, or go to the track you will want to upgrade your suspension to something better suited to this type of driving. When looking at a suspension change, you cannot simply look at only a spring "rate" number to determine how it will affect the balance and handling of the car. You must also look at the different spring legths, suspension geometry, design, etc.. In the case of the Cusco front springs, they aren't even a true linear spring, the spring starts out as a 60mm at the bottom and flares out to the stock upper mount at the top. This will affect how the spring compresses and feels. My feeling is that Cusco did a very good job with the rates and damper combination on this coilover for a wide range of more enthusiastic drivers. These don't ride too stiff or harsh, but allow you to raise and lower the car to a wide variety of heights while increasing the handling potential and improving the feel of the car.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
03Z33

Lowered Price, check it out

Let me know if there are any questions!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #7
03Z33

Still have these for sale.