Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
flamingchicken4

Drives: 2007 Manual Yaris
Exclamation Help: A/C Questions

Hello everyone this is my first post up here. Over the last few weeks you all helped me learn a lot about my 2007 Hatchback Yaris (manual) but I need more info.

Here's the run down: I hit a pole with my car; the radiator support beams took all the damage so the radiator and radiator fan housing were destroyed. The fan got wedged and the motor burned out its 30 Amp fuse. The A/C condenser was still airtight (what?) yeah, no idea how but it was. So when I took it out all my Freon sprayed out (sorry environmentalists, I thought it was destroyed). Since the plastic clips that hold it in place were snapped off I was forced to either find a whole new condenser at a junkyard or sell my firstborn child to Toyota to get a new one. I found one from an '06 Yaris and also got a new radiator and fan housing, and replaced three support beams that were bent all out of place. I put that all in and replaced the 30 Amp fuse for the radiator fan. The car runs perfectly, but I still don't have A/C.

Now for the question: So I attempted to vacuum and then charge my A/C system myself and that's where things got weird. The new compressor is fine and the system held the vacuum for 30 minutes after the pump was off. However, when I tried to charge the system with Freon through the low pressure side the 12oz can did not fully empty and my pressure readings on the manifold were waaaaay too high. It sounds like the compressor kicks on when I hit the A/C button in the cab but it does not cycle, it just sounds like it spins slower when the button is off. Obviously there is something wrong if the compressor is acting like this and my A/C is blowing warm. I checked the 7.5A fuse under the dash and it's fine and my research has told me about a 40A HTR Sub2 fuse and a 30A HTR Sub1 fuse that I can't seem to find. I'm thinking there's some fuse that I haven't found that is also blown out or the clutch in the compressor is destroyed. Help me oh wise YarisWorld gods, you're my only hope (with the exception of taking it to a stealership).
flamingchicken4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
flamingchicken4

I should probably also mention that I am a complete novice when it comes to car repair. Before the crash I could only change my oil filter out. You guys and the repair manual taught me a lot but I'm still not 100% sure what I'm talking about sometimes.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You are definitely overcharged. The Yaris doesn't take much to fill (330 to 390g) and it will not run if overpressure. I just went through the same replacements on Crashy2 and it only took about 3/4 of one of the 12 oz cans to charge her from dead empty.

The HTR SUB1 and HTR SUB2 fuses are fusible links (the 1/2" x 1/2" fuses) in the under hood fuse box, but they have nothing to do with AC. They are just for the supplemental PTC heater, which only exists in cold weather area Yaris.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
flamingchicken4

So in your opinion would it work to hook up the manifold gauges and just let some out until I hit the sweet spot somewhere under 85 psi? Or since the computer has already taken an "overcharged code" will I have to let out some and then reset the code so it lets my compressor kick on?

Also thanks for clearing up the HTR Sub fuses, I was getting conflicting answers and very confused about that.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchicken4 View Post
So in your opinion would it work to hook up the manifold gauges and just let some out until I hit the sweet spot somewhere under 85 psi? Or since the computer has already taken an "overcharged code" will I have to let out some and then reset the code so it lets my compressor kick on?

Also thanks for clearing up the HTR Sub fuses, I was getting conflicting answers and very confused about that.
Ideally you would use your pump to suck some out and capture it into an appropriate canister, but yes you just need to get the high side pressure down to between 57 and 85 psi with the compressor not running.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
flamingchicken4

I found my problem and subsequently created another one. The electrical wire that connects to the bottom of the compressor is smashed. The lower aluminum tubing coming out of the compressor was bent in the accident by the radiator support and crushed the little plastic connector. My new problem is that my local Toyota stealership wont sell me just the wire. They want me to buy a whole new friggin compressor! A whopping $1,523 for a little 7 inch wire with plastic on it, yeah right. I called about 20 local parts places and no one else is going to sell it to me, all the local "you-pull-it" places don't have any Yaris models from any year in their yards. Please tell me somewhere online I can buy this wire connector or go through DENSO and buy it from them.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchicken4 View Post
I found my problem and subsequently created another one. The electrical wire that connects to the bottom of the compressor is smashed. The lower aluminum tubing coming out of the compressor was bent in the accident by the radiator support and crushed the little plastic connector. My new problem is that my local Toyota stealership wont sell me just the wire. They want me to buy a whole new friggin compressor! A whopping $1,523 for a little 7 inch wire with plastic on it, yeah right. I called about 20 local parts places and no one else is going to sell it to me, all the local "you-pull-it" places don't have any Yaris models from any year in their yards. Please tell me somewhere online I can buy this wire connector or go through DENSO and buy it from them.
I don't think you will find it, unless you can buy a junk compressor to harvest it from. I would just splice the wire and bypass the connector.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
flamingchicken4

Here's some pictures of the connector on the compressor with the smashed bits of wire removed: http://imgur.com/a/03FzU
Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
flamingchicken4

I don't know for sure if I could get under there and have enough room to solder the wires on. The connector is close to that aluminum tubing and the electrical leads are pretty far back in there. But this is the easiest answer for this.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
flamingchicken4

I did exactly that for the ambient temp sensor (solder wires directly on and fill the cavity with epoxy) but that was easy since the sensor was small and I could remove it from the car and throw it under good light and magnification in a vice grip. Id rather not remove the whole compressor to solder wires on.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The male pin side of the connector doesn't look all that bad. If the other side is what is crushed, I can supply you with a replacement from a spare harness that I have one hand:

Conn C8.jpg
Old 12-29-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
ojeysky

Drives: Sedan Yaris 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The male pin side of the connector doesn't look all that bad. If the other side is what is crushed, I can supply you with a replacement from a spare harness that I have one hand:

Attachment 48486
Hello CTScott I have this particular female connector which I thought was for the A/C ambient sensor but then I bought an ambient sensor which was supposed to be for Yaris and it didn't fit.
Could it be that I got the wrong sensor or is what I have not the ambient socket? Attaching picture of the female socket and the sensor I bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1542545606682772.jpg (14.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 1535547974633997~2.jpg (120.2 KB, 44 views)
ojeysky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air conditioning, compressor, condenser, fuse