Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Replacing power steering hoses for an ECHO

I realize this is in for a Yaris but if you know the answer to this question please help!

My 2002 echo with 83,000 miles has corroded power steering hoses. There a middle sections and there are rubber sections. The metal ones are pretty corroded. I painted them with Rust converter and for now all is well.

Should the power steering Hoses fail, What is involved in replacing them? The hoses themselves are like $200, and they look pretty buried in the front end. What has to be removed to get at them to change them?

I have Parkinson’s in years past I would do this work myself. But that is beyond me now. Possibly I could just drain the of fluid out of the power steering, and drive manually but with Parkinson’s I don’t know if I’m capable of that.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The hoses are not too had to access once the underbelly pan is removed. Find an aftermarket set for cheaper and swap them in if needed. The potential issue will be if any bolts are corroded.

I swapped my leaking hard trans lines for all soft hoses as the bolts were all completely seized for the original hard lines. However, a power steerig system sees much higher pressures and they run longer so completely removing hard lines isnt really an option