Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I don't know how i would live in the states. Dealers are so far from each other they easily take advantages of people.
except most people in the US only go to dealerships if they have to. Most of the time their is a great mechanic around that will charge much less and do a better job.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Yeah but that crowd probably doesn't drive seven year old Yarisses
.....but could just be SOP for revenue generation......no matter what you drive....(but the 'conversion/say yes rate' would likely be lower for those with 7 year old Yarisses )
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #21
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
I don't know how i would live in the states. Dealers are so far from each other they easily take advantages of people.
Every little podunk town in the middle of nowhere has at least one generic chain car repair shop and one "Bubba" shop.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #22
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
On the same subject but with my Envoy. Took it in for inspection/emissions and they found the right front upper ball joint to be loose. They quoted just over $600 parts and labor. Went to Autozone and got the balljoint for $21 and change and swapped it out in an hour with the borrowed press from Autozone. Wow, it boggles the mind. How many people actually say "Ok, go ahead and fix it" and pay that kind of money. I understand flat-rate and OEM parts and all that crap but nearly 30 times the price of just the part? Lifetime warranty from Autozone by the way. 1 year from the dealer.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #23
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Wow, it boggles the mind. How many people actually say "Ok, go ahead and fix it" and pay that kind of money.
Time, tools, and talent. All, or a combination of, is the reason. The number of people who own X vehicle and have the resources to fix it far exceeds the number who can.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 AM   #24
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
I do have the time, tools and talent but being of a certain age my days of crawling around and under a car are long gone.
I'll check tyres, fluids etc. but servicing and maintenance I'll entrust to someone else.
However, I'll not just accept a price but would check around some local independents for quotes for the particular job.
As my car is only seven months old though I don't expect other than routine servicing for some time yet.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #25
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
On the same subject but with my Envoy. Took it in for inspection/emissions and they found the right front upper ball joint to be loose. They quoted just over $600 parts and labor. Went to Autozone and got the balljoint for $21 and change and swapped it out in an hour with the borrowed press from Autozone. Wow, it boggles the mind. How many people actually say "Ok, go ahead and fix it" and pay that kind of money. I understand flat-rate and OEM parts and all that crap but nearly 30 times the price of just the part? Lifetime warranty from Autozone by the way. 1 year from the dealer.
That's probably because dealers don't bother changing just the balljoint. Their parts (control arm) always come with the ball joint.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
That's probably because dealers don't bother changing just the balljoint. Their parts (control arm) always come with the ball joint.
This is happening far too much in the auto industry. They don't want individual parts changed, but entire subsections of the car. Totally insane.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #27
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
This is happening far too much in the auto industry. They don't want individual parts changed, but entire subsections of the car. Totally insane.
Actually, i just had bushing replaced on the lower control arm of my 2002 Civic. I should've just gotten new control arms instead.. 3x the price of bushings, but cheaper labour though. Comes to about the same price.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #28
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
Adding to the Stealership list. I last visit to them the 'service advisor' (the salesman that represents the mechanic) printed out a service list that my Yaris needed. One of such items needed is a steering wheel fluid replacement for $100CAD. Haven't been back to that stealership since....
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #29
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post
Adding to the Stealership list. I last visit to them the 'service advisor' (the salesman that represents the mechanic) printed out a service list that my Yaris needed. One of such items needed is a steering wheel fluid replacement for $100CAD. Haven't been back to that stealership since....
I see why ppl complain ,I work at one and do see the stupid charges and bs service advisers say to ppl to make a sale. There is times where I will refuse or ask to change the work order cos its nothing but a $ grab and the luck of education on the part of the car owner.
Come in for warranty and that odd problem but honestly go to an independent shop and save ur $ or better yet fix it urself.

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #30
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Yea the service writers can be total bs'ers, because some of them are on straight commission.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 PM   #31
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
An acquaintance of mine used to be Parts Manager at a large, well established GM dealership in my area. One night we were having a discussion on trumped up service work orders. I got into this 'debate' with him after he had mentioned in their weekly meetings how they make recommendations to the Service Advisers to push parts X, Y, and Z. He then tries to defend the fact that dealerships absolutely don't make unwarranted repairs. Can't remember how we ended on the issue, but I believe it's obvious I caught him talking out of both sides of his mouth.

There are times when I do find going into my local dealership absolutely necessary to affect a repair. This dealership has gained my trust, and I only allow them to carry out on what it is I've requested of them. Scheduled Maintenance visits, for the unaware, is like shooting fish in a barrel for the dealerships. We do have to remember that this is where they make their money. Most take a loss on new vehicle sales and the profits come in after sale service and the used vehicle lot.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #32
IllusionX

Honestly, I've never had ANY issues with both toyota dealers I go to. Both Park Avenue and Duval Toyota I go to have been honest and service are always good.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #33
Corsair

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Just had my two recalls done. 4 hrs. My multipoint revealed cracked winshield wipers, 600 dollar tire replacement, and ... oh the little floormats i have in there aren't up to their standards, (not the oem ones) I guess they dont have the little holes to lock them down. LOL
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #34
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
Just had my two recalls done. 4 hrs. My multipoint revealed cracked winshield wipers, 600 dollar tire replacement, and ... oh the little floormats i have in there aren't up to their standards, (not the oem ones) I guess they dont have the little holes to lock them down. LOL
Yep...Toyota probably checks the floor mats pretty closely these days.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #35
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Here's another reason people hate dealerships, my thread detailing the incompetence, arrogance and dishonesty of Westchester Toyota of Yonkers, NY:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53274
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote