Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Rear brake proportioning valve???

My rear brakes are weak, and it's not because they're drum brakes. This winter while on snow packed roads I noticed that no matter how hard I push the brake pedal, the rear WILL NOT lock up (no ABS either ). I could stop faster by pushing the brake pedal and pulling the e-brake simultaneously so that all 4 wheels would lock. Can this be adjusted by the proportioning valve, or could I crank the brake shoe adjusters a few notches? My e-brake has to be pulled to far it seems before it grabs. Maybe the shoes are just out of adjustment. What do you think?

PS. Don't give me any "drum bakes are weak" answers. I understand discs are better but drums are plenty strong enough to lock the stock Potenza RE92's at 10 MPH on snow packed roads.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
It's probably because of the snow- wet weather adversely affects the performance of drums.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

No, thats not it.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You checked the cable, right?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
You checked the cable, right?
Could you be more specific? Do you mean the nut to adjust the cable tension right on the bottom of the e-brake handle?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Go to the dealer, tell them, I am not sure if we have self adjusting rear brakes or not, if they are self adjusting you are SOL
Black Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:18 AM   #7
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Toyota did that for safety so people don't go spinning down the road like tops in their Yarii. That's how they can get away without putting ABS on the car.

This is probably also why the brakes are very soft and light until you really push the pedal.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Toyota did that for safety so people don't go spinning down the road like tops in their Yarii. That's how they can get away without putting ABS on the car.

This is probably also why the brakes are very soft and light until you really push the pedal.
Sorry but that reason sounds lame....I would suggest the OP take his car to the dealer and stop reading guesses from this site...I can get my 2007 LB back tires to lock up, no problem.....
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
yea i suggest take it to the dealer and get it checked out.....if they say anything about replacing it and u know for a "fact" that it doesnt need replacing or whatever.......they are just taking your money....

Australia has abs as standard :)
Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
the drums should lock as the front if you press the pedal all the way like you said. since you said that the ebrake is high when engaged you may have the shoes out of adjustment. take it to the dealer and tell them your problem.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
the drums should lock as the front if you press the pedal all the way like you said. since you said that the ebrake is high when engaged you may have the shoes out of adjustment. take it to the dealer and tell them your problem.
All right, all right, I'll take it ot the dealer. It's such an inconvienence though.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
drell42

Drives: Blank
The thing is that the yaris, al least in Canada, has EBD, wich makes it so that under heavy breaking that the breaking force is pretty close to equal. So your rears are extreamly unlikely to lock-up, even under snowy conditions
drell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Question ...before you take it to the dealer

...on other toyota's I've owned ('84 corrolla, '87 pick up, and a '94 corrolla, all had rear drums) you could adjust the rear brakes by 1) drive in reverse (5-10 mph) 2) then quickly stop using the hand brake...

I looked in the owners manual, and couldnt find any info...but its worth a shot.
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Sorry but that reason sounds lame....I would suggest the OP take his car to the dealer and stop reading guesses from this site...I can get my 2007 LB back tires to lock up, no problem.....
I would definately take it to the dealer to have them look at it.

I've never driven a car with the braking feel like the Yaris. An Xa with ABS doesn't have the same feel. It feels like a normal car. with a progressive feel. It is very tight and brakes hard with little effort.

In the Yaris you have to push the pedal down pretty far to really get it to stop. It is more like a linear feel, and very soft at the top of the pedal travel. It isnt a bad thing, you just get used to it.

I've have yet to lock a wheel up in my LB. I did put better tires on it in the first week, so that is probably a big part of it. I think the brakes perform pretty well.

PetersRedYaris - Take a picture or count the clicks you have to pull up on your ebrake. That at least will see if the shoes are adjusted correctly.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #15
AaronATL

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
brakes... brakes... brakes.....

ahhh who needs em anyway when we could use arrestor cables

Yarisworld!!!
AaronATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Take a picture or count the clicks you have to pull up on your ebrake. That at least will see if the shoes are adjusted correctly.
Seven (7) clicks untill it holds the car. Now many clicks do you all get when you pull up on the e-brake?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
since you dont want to go to the dealer, have you checked behind the backing plate for any kind of adjusting hole?
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote