Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Yari-Chan

Drives: 2009 4-Door Sedan
4-wheel alignment for 5000 mi. maintenance?????

I just bought a 2009 Yaris Sedan in January. I am up for my 5000 mile maintenance. I received a coupon from my dealership for:
-oil and filter change=$32.95
-Tire balance/rotation=$57.95
-air conditioning check=$56.17 and
-4-wheel alignment=$99.95

They also offer a 5K Scheduled Maintenance that includes oil/filter change and tire balance/rotation among other inspections for $124.82.

The 2009 Yaris Scheduled Maintenance Guide states to Replace oil/filter, Rotate tires and visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs.

I am thinking of just doing the oil/filter change and tire balance/rotation but I was wondering about a 4-wheel alignment. The Yaris Maintenance Log doesn't say anything about 4-wheel alignment. When do you usually do this?

What about air conditioning check? I just started using it so I don't really think I need it but when do people usually do this?

I'm such a girl when it comes to car stuff. I'm trying to learn. That's why I'm here!!!!!

I want to know what other proud Yaris owners have done at the 5000 mile mark as far as maintenance.

Thanks!!
Yari-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Firstly - welcome to YW

Second - you've received the same coupon that someone with 120,000 miles would received. It is not tailored for you and your car personally.

Third - oil change at this point and that is it.

Fourth - the car will tell you when you need an alignment. The steering may pull to one side or the other, the steering wheel is not perfectly centered when driving straight, or the tread on your tires is not wearing evenly across the width of the tire.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Yari-Chan

Thanks for the warm welcome Canadian neighbor!!!

Another question for you...When do you schedule your tire rotations?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yari-Chan View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome Canadian neighbor!!!

Another question for you...When do you schedule your tire rotations?
Usual time is when putting on the snow tires in late fall or summer tires in the spring,just dont put them back the same way they came off.
As for all that stuff the dealer wants to sell you?all you need at this point are regular oil changes.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Yari-Chan

What if I have all-weather tires?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Same deal. First/second/third snow, first/second/third good hot day is what I do mine.

I go through GoodYear tire centers though for most of it, so my tires are guaranteed, the alignment is guaranteed for a period of time, etc, so it's more-or-less a fixed outlay of cash at set intervals to keep the coverage. Hit a pothole? Roll it by on a free day, they check and correct for free if so.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
5k miles should just be oil change and rotation. however, one can certainly opt out of the tire rotation as this would not really affect any truly important warranty issues. i think 5k tire rotations are more often than necessary. however, i do them on my car only becaue i get free tires for life. its only an extra $17 per 5k miles.

anyway, an oil change and tire rotation is only $49.99 at my dealer. $124 for the 5k maintenance is highway robbery.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
Yari-Chan

I just called the Toyota dealership in the Bronx and asked them what they recommend for my 5000 mile maintenance. They said, oil/filter. I asked them about tire/balance and they said they could do both with a 25 point inspection for $29.99!!!!

I called my regular dealership in Rockland County, NY and asked them the same question. Their reply was $124 (as stated above).

I told them what the Toyota dealer in the Bronx was going to charge and they wouldn't budge so I will be doing an oil/filter change with a tire rotation and balance and 25 point inspection for $29.99 in the Bronx.

I am hoping that the quality of service is good since it is a Toyota dealership.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:

I will be doing an oil/filter change with a tire rotation and balance and 25 point inspection for $29.99 in the Bronx.
Forget the 25 point inspection unless its mandatory for your warranty(which i doubt),its just a license for them to print money as they will surely sell you on the idea that your car needs something,whether it does or not depends on your level of mechanical awareness. let us know what they find on that 25 point inspection if you choose to go ahead with it. As i said before an 09 Toyota with 5k shouldnt need anything more than oil and filter, the big multipoint dealer maintenance inspection comes in at about 30k miles and it will set you back a few hundred bucks.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
if you do a lot of highway miles like I do I rotate every 10k miles. front to back just like toyota says to do-never side to side. but if you're mostly doing in town driving with a lot of turning then every 6-8000 miles is recommended. every time you rotate it puts a lot of stress on the wheel studs that could ultimatly lead to a broken one. also, over tight lug nuts can lead to warped rotors. so over doing it is not always a good thing.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
Welcome to YarisWorld :)

I'm in TX just had the 5K service on my 3-door this weekend and I had the dealer skip the oil change because I'm doing that myself this week. What remained for the dealer to do was:
- check the fluids
- rotate/balance tires
- 6 point inspection
- and a couple of other minor things that I can't recall off the top of my head.

The price on this was $21.99 and would've been $60 if I'd gone with the complete 5K service that included an oil change.

As for doing the rotate/balance at a regular interval, I figure that if I'm going to be at the dealer for a couple of hours for scheduled maintenance, I might as well have them do the tires as well.

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Another thing to consider: The Yaris does not need a four-wheel alignment. there are no adjustments in the rear due to the torsion-beam rear suspension. Only the front will need aligning.

You shouldn't need an alignment for a long time unless you modify the front suspension, get into an accident, etc. And when you do need an alignment, take to it an alignment shop and only get the front done.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Since you are asking, it means a limited knowledge about cars. Get the tire balance and rotation with 25 point inspection. They will spot problems and allow you the peace of mind.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
. every time you rotate it puts a lot of stress on the wheel studs that could ultimatly lead to a broken one. also, over tight lug nuts can lead to warped rotors. so over doing it is not always a good thing.
We don't drive kias, so I wouldn't really worry about the lugs breaking - I've rotated tires on two different toyotas with over 150,000 miles and never had a lug break. And if you rotate your tires yourself you can always properly torque your lugs, but the retards at any tire change place will just air ratchet them down - you're right about that. I get free rotation/balancing at america's tire, and I just stand out there and tell them not to touch my car with an air gun... (every shop has cam-over wrenches laying around)

About the maintenance stuff - toyota is doing better than american car companies, but they are still hurting. A shitty economy brings out the worst in businesses, so you have to be more alert to BS people are trying to sell you. As others have said, oil, tires, filters - that's all you have to worry about with this car for at least 100k
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Yari-Chan

Wow!!! This site is great!!!! Thank you so much to all who have given input. This helps a TON!!!!!!!! I feel so much better. I have another question but it's about my front grill (I think that's what it's called). Since I live in NYC, my car gets bumped during on street parking all the time. After one month of having my brand new car I noticed my front grill was cracked and broken. I need to replace it. I am going to go take a picture of it and put up another post. Thanks again everyone!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #16
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
I just bought a 2009 Yaris Sedan in January. I am up for my 5000 mile maintenance. I received a coupon from my dealership for:
-oil and filter change=$32.95
-Tire balance/rotation=$57.95
-air conditioning check=$56.17 and
-4-wheel alignment=$99.95

They also offer a 5K Scheduled Maintenance that includes oil/filter change and tire balance/rotation among other inspections for $124.82.

The 2009 Yaris Scheduled Maintenance Guide states to Replace oil/filter, Rotate tires and visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs.

I am thinking of just doing the oil/filter change and tire balance/rotation but I was wondering about a 4-wheel alignment. The Yaris Maintenance Log doesn't say anything about 4-wheel alignment. When do you usually do this?

What about air conditioning check? I just started using it so I don't really think I need it but when do people usually do this?

I'm such a girl when it comes to car stuff. I'm trying to learn. That's why I'm here!!!!!

I want to know what other proud Yaris owners have done at the 5000 mile mark as far as maintenance.

Thanks!!
It sounds as though the dealership you have been using is robbing people ! Good thing you checked around on these prices. Many dealerships offer free oil changes with purchases !
Your dearlership is now a stealership as others on YW have called some dealers. Welcome to Yaris World.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Since I live in NYC, my car gets bumped during on street parking all the time. After one month of having my brand new car I noticed my front grill was cracked and broken. I need to replace it. I am going to go take a picture of it and put up another post. Thanks again everyone!!!!
Is it the upper grill or the lower grill??

Garm at www.microimageonline.com sells an aftermarket upper grill that I think looks much better than stock. He's an extremely reliable seller.

For the lower grill there is a DIY mesh grill, that is pretty cheap, and again, it looks pretty good

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...IY+lower+grill
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
with our shit ass roads here in Ohio, I get my alignment checked about every 6 months/5k miles or so