Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
southernyaris
I've made a post!

Drives: Black Yaris
Unhappy Yaris key stopped unlocking manually or electronically - help!

Today I had a huge problem with my Yaris and I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue in the past and could give me some insight.

I returned to the car after a shopping trip and it wouldn't unlock at all - normally I unlock by pressing the button on the key, but the unlock button had no effect and neither did manual attempts at unlocking. I tried pressing the lock button and then the unlock to see if this would help - nothing happened. I did a quick Google search and someone had suggested holding down both the 'lock' and 'unlock' buttons for a few seconds - this made no difference. I also tried to unlock the boot of the car manually but it did nothing.

I phoned my local Toyota garage for help and they were very nice but said this had never happened to any of their customers, as normally the issue is with the electrics but the key can still be used manually. However, as I've mentioned, in my case there was no manual way of unlocking the car either. I had to get a taxi home to pick up my spare set of car keys, then got a taxi back into town to try the spares on the car. Funnily enough, these didn't work either.

I then called my breakdown recovery service and they were helpful - the man eventually managed to unlock the boot of the car manually (not sure how - it just worked for him) and climbed in through the boot, but the doors of the car still didn't unlock until he put the key in the ignition. He did also check the battery of the car but said there was nothing wrong with it and could also find no fault with either of the sets of keys.

I'm worried this will happen again and I'm also confused as to why it happened in the first place. Does anyone have any experience of their Yaris key doing the same thing, and did they have a solution or explanation for it? Model-wise, it's a September 2009 Yaris - not sure if this makes a difference. Please get back to me if you have any advice!
southernyaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help!, key remote, lock, unlock