Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
yarisse54

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE
Small Overlap Crash Test 2013 Yaris

- Okay dudes and dudettes. The 2013 Toyota Camry totally flunked the IIHS' new small-overlap crash test. We know that the Camry is *supposed* to be safer and structurally stronger than the Yaris.

- But now, it seems that the 2013 Yaris is doomed to fail the same small-overlap crash test, since it seems unlikely that Toyota would make their smallest car stronger and safer than their midsize sedan, the Camry.

- So live in ignorance, or admit that Toyota seriously needs to redesign the safety cages in their cars ASAP?

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-honda...#axzz2HdmdHrOG

Last edited by yarisse54; 01-11-2013 at 12:31 AM.
yarisse54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
yarisse54

Exclamation 2013 Camry VS 2013 Yaris IIHS

I remember that car buyers used to say: "I bought my Toyota because Toyota thinks of everything so that I don't have to".

Toyota is taking advantage of hard-working folks, who trust Toyota to engineer a little more safety into their cars.

Long story made short, Toyota better pull a "2013 Honda Civic refresh" move fast, and make their cars safer! Continuous improvement is something that Toyota buyers still remember and EXPECT from Toyota.

Being a 2012 Yaris owner, I look forward to Toyota's response.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisse54 View Post

I remember that car buyers used to say: "I bought my Toyota because Toyota thinks of everything so that I don't have to".

Toyota is taking advantage of hard-working folks, who trust Toyota to engineer a little more safety into their cars.

Long story made short, Toyota better pull a "2013 Honda Civic refresh" move fast, and make their cars safer! Continuous improvement is something that Toyota buyers still remember and EXPECT from Toyota.

Being a 2012 Yaris owner, I look forward to Toyota's response.
The best (and in some cases worst) safety instrument is the driver. I have a lot of confidence in my own defensive driving ability/situational awareness. Crash test results aren't a make or break for me, fuel economy and reliability are. In my experience, the Yaris is top notch in both fuel economy and reliability.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
The best (and in some cases worst) safety instrument is the driver. I have a lot of confidence in my own defensive driving ability/situational awareness. Crash test results aren't a make or break for me, fuel economy and reliability are. In my experience, the Yaris is top notch in both fuel economy and reliability.
For those of you who have to drive regularly during a Winter where there is lots of ice and snow, I can see why the protection the car itself provides would be a higher priority than it is for me.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I have been driving in the PNW for 45 years. 99% of the cars I have owned in the past would probably fail that test. The old Subaru's and Datsun pick-ups, for sure, would fail miserably. I am not about to start wringing my hands now.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I'm not sure that it's the best way to think about the topic, but the safety test ratings of a vehicle have never influenced my auto purchasing decisions. It's simply something that I don't consider. If I had children, however, I suppose I'd think differently?
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I care more about reliability and gas mileage than safety. I'm a safe driver myself and I'm always on the lookout that some idiot driver may crash into me, but that's all I can do. After all, I drove a Ford Pinto for years - the one where the gas tank exploded easily - and I was lucky no one ever rear-ended me.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We've drove small cars since the 80s' . Chevette , Colts ( Champs ) , Corolla , and many others . Crash tests help our decision . But only 40% . All it takes is one careless driver to make your day . Been running into those alot as of lately . Literally for the '08 sedan .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
yarisse54

My buddy said it the best the other day:

..."the worldwide economic situation is kinda gloomy, and people are just not paying enough attention when they drive because they keep on thinking/worrying about other things".

Case in point - a Chrysler minivan backed right INTO my bud's 2009 Civic at the restaurant parking lot at 30 km/hr (the other driver was on his cell, and was still talking when he got out of his car to inspect the damage. Gives male drivers a bad rap.)
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Most cars failed this test. The only cars that passed, IIRC, was Volvo. It's an unfair test; it focuses a huge amount of energy on a very small portion.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
I've never heard that before. Like nookandcrannycar I've heard of reliability, fuel economy, and resale value. If anything Toyota isn't the company that thinks of everything, and their cars are often lacking features compared to competition. That being said I still bought a Yaris instead of an Accent/Rio despite them having power windows, cruise control, a stereo with an aux input and a bunch of other goodies that the Yarii in my price range didn't have.

Quote:
Same here. I can drive anything and not have a problem.

Quote:
For those of you who have to drive regularly during a Winter where there is lots of ice and snow, I can see why the protection the car itself provides would be a higher priority than it is for me.
I'm not worried about my car in the winter. I can see the idiots coming and avoid them.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I'm not sure that it's the best way to think about the topic, but the safety test ratings of a vehicle have never influenced my auto purchasing decisions. It's simply something that I don't consider. If I had children, however, I suppose I'd think differently?
Whenever I have driven children around, either my godson or my little cousin who inspired my yarisworld screen name has been one of the passengers. Given that, even though they are not my children (I don't have any), they are (I feel) as precious to me as they would be if they were mine and my normal high state of awareness while driving reaches an even higher level.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
We've drove small cars since the 80s' . Chevette , Colts ( Champs ) , Corolla , and many others . Crash tests help our decision . But only 40% . All it takes is one careless driver to make your day . Been running into those alot as of lately . Literally for the '08 sedan .
Interesting that you had a Colt/Champ. I had one that I bought new. I think it was the most inexpensive car I've ever purchased new. I got 90 some odd thousand miles out of it before the engine management device (what the ECM would be in the Yaris I imagine) went out and the clutch was a few hundred miles from giving out. The engine management part, the physical part, was about 700.00. I figured with that, labor to install it, and parts and labor re the clutch, fixing it would be a poor investment so I decided to junk it. The Blue Book value was close to zero anyway. I didn't put any money into repairs, but a '90 some odd k' lifespan before hitting repairs that wouldn't make sense was less than I expected. It also was kind of mediocre re MPG.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
I've never heard that before. Like nookandcrannycar I've heard of reliability, fuel economy, and resale value. If anything Toyota isn't the company that thinks of everything, and their cars are often lacking features compared to competition. That being said I still bought a Yaris instead of an Accent/Rio despite them having power windows, cruise control, a stereo with an aux input and a bunch of other goodies that the Yarii in my price range didn't have.

Same here. I can drive anything and not have a problem.

I'm not worried about my car in the winter. I can see the idiots coming and avoid them.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I feel much safer in my Yaris, than on my motorcycle!

But use some common sense(in you have any). If your buying a Yaris for safety, and you think any 2300 lb car will save you against a small overlap with a 5000~6000 lb SUV/Pickup, you may be a fool.

Quote:
- Okay dudes and dudettes. The 2013 Toyota Camry totally flunked the IIHS' new small-overlap crash test. We know that the Camry is *supposed* to be safer and structurally stronger than the Yaris.

- But now, it seems that the 2013 Yaris is doomed to fail the same small-overlap crash test, since it seems unlikely that Toyota would make their smallest car stronger and safer than their midsize sedan, the Camry.

- So live in ignorance, or admit that Toyota seriously needs to redesign the safety cages in their cars ASAP?
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
I've never heard that before.
That's because Volvo was big on pushing safety. I've never heard Toyota brag about safety either.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #17
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
That's because Volvo was big on pushing safety. I've never heard Toyota brag about safety either.
It's all they talk about now after all their bad PR.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
UberSilver

I dont watch much TV, so i guess I missed it.

Tags
2012, 2013, camry, corolla, yaris