Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
phyrefighterjay

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Interior blower fan dead...blowing fuses.

O7 Yaris 4 door well fellas here it is....A long time ago I had receipts that got stuck in my blower motor and ruined the first three speeds leaving me only with speed number four. For five years fan speed number four was very good to me. Then the blower motor finally Quit. I purchased another blower motor off of eBay for $65 and that worked on the fan speed number four for about a month. Once again with the replacement blower motor the previous three speeds did not work. The replacement blower motor would work every once in a while after hitting it softly with a rubber mallet. But not for very long...now all is kaput. I started with the fuses and realized that my 40 amp fuse under the hood was blown the interior 7.5 amp fuse was fine. I replaced the 40 amp only to have it blow immediately. I then moved to the rheostat/resistor and found that it was blown. Replaced the rheostat/resistor. Now I am befuddled to what is going on. I have a multimeter. Now what do I do? Obviously something is wrong with a ground here? Please help.
phyrefighterjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
You probably melted the wiring somewhere so it is now shorting to ground. They usually melt between the blower and resistor. Or maybe you crushed the resistor wires and they are shorted to ground. Try unplugging the motor and see if it is still drawing. This will confirm the wires prior to the motor are OK. After that, unplug the resistor, and plug the motor in and check the draw again. If still no draw, the problem is in the resistor.

I've had to replace every connector and part of heater fan circuits before due to melting. Never on a Yaris though.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
phyrefighterjay

I don't see any melting or wire to wire contact. The guy at Napa said it is probably a bad blower motor. And that my problem lies there. What do you think?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
CoryM

Definitely possible. They can fail internally, causing large amperage draws.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Also check the 10A GAUGE fuse in the under dash fuse panel, as it feeds the coil of the HTR relay, which switches the power feed to the blower. The HTR Relay could also be bad, but he is fully integrated inside of the body ECU (which is within the under dash fuse panel).
Old 07-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
phyrefighterjay

Well here's what I found out tonight. I plugged new 40amp fuse under the hood. Hooked up my multi meter and tested the female end of the plug ( The plug that hooks into the blower motor ) as soon as I started the test...the voltage kicked up showing juice to that plug....the wires got hot and the 40 amp fuse blew. so it is not the blower fan. I will check the 10 amp fuse to the relay but I'm getting continuity . What now? It could be...
1.a melted plug.
2 bad relay? (I hope)
Thank you so much for your help on this.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #7
phyrefighterjay

Btw the ac is trickling cold air so I don't Think the relay is the problem
Old 07-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The 40 A fuse feeds pin 1 of connector 4L. From there it makes no connection unless the HTR relay is actuated.

If the fan switch is off, the relay is not actuated. As soon as you move the switch from off to any setting the relay closes.

When the relay closes, it connects the black wire of the fan motor to the 40 A power feed. The blue wire of the fan is the negative side. It goes to the blower resistor (for speeds 1-3) and to the HI terminal of the blower switch (for speed 4).

Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 AM   #9
phyrefighterjay

when I tested it tonight I would turn the blower fan switch to 1... The wires near the blower motor (which was not hooked up) got warm and then the fuse blew...what do you think is going on?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I think that either the fan or resistor is drawing too much current. Try unplugging the fan motor and measuring the voltage between the blue and black wires on the connector, while switching fan modes. Also, with the connector off, measure the resistance between the two terminals of the fan motor.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrefighterjay View Post
when I tested it tonight I would turn the blower fan switch to 1... The wires near the blower motor (which was not hooked up) got warm and then the fuse blew...what do you think is going on?
As Scott said, measure the resistance between the ground wire and all other three wires.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
phyrefighterjay

That is what I did. I was trying to rule out the fan blower as the problem so all tests were done with the connector off of the blower fan tested it got warm resistor blue
Old 07-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
phyrefighterjay

Let me start over. Last night I disconnected the fan and tested the connector that connects to the fan. So the fan is not the problem. In fact when I checked the continuity on the fan it was fine. This is the test results from last night.this test was to ensure that I had voltage to the connector plug that connects to the blower fan.
1. Un hooked the connnector to the blower fan.
2. I put a new fuse into the 40 amp slot to complete the circuit.
3. Turned the key on to the run position
4. With the fan in the 0 position tested the blower fan connector...0 voltage.
5. Moved fan switch to position 1...voltage was shown, wires got warm, fuse blew.
I'm getting so frustrated. Here are my possibilities...
1. The connector melted and the jump is being made there and I can't see it.
2. It's in the switch/fan selector knob.
3. It's somewhere deeper, like the relay, fuse panel etc
Old 07-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Try the same with the resistor unplugged. With the measurements you took the relay is fine.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 PM   #15
CoryM

I'd unplug both switch and resistor. Plug in yet another fuse (it can be done using resistance too if fuses are getting expensive) Then ground the red wire at switch and leave it there for all the following:

Now jump the blue wire to ground at switch, then if OK blue at resistor. Fan should turn on full speed both times and not blow the fuse. This will rule out everything up to the switch and resistor. If ok, take jumper wire off, plug in resistor. if the fuse blows- replace resistor (it could still be wires, but very unlikely). If OK - take jumper wire and ground the black wire at switch. Fan should be on M1. If OK - jump green wire at switch to ground. Fan should be on M2. If OK - replace switch.

At this point, I'd bet the switch with it's multiple moving parts and contacts has failed.

CTScott: Any idea why so few cars use PWM for fan speed? Seems like it would be simpler/cheaper/cooler.

Cheers.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
phyrefighterjay

I'm going to order a new fan switch. Only 30 bucks. Sorry, last post with jump wires was too technical. I might just run a switch and inline fuse direct from the battery at this point. Only need high speed on the fan. Is this possible?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm going to order a new fan switch. Only 30 bucks. Sorry, last post with jump wires was too technical. I might just run a switch and inline fuse direct from the battery at this point. Only need high speed on the fan. Is this possible?
I don't believe it is the switch, as a bad switch should not make the wires at the fan heat up.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #18
CoryM

Quote:
I might just run a switch and inline fuse direct from the battery at this point. Only need high speed on the fan. Is this possible?
It is possible, but you would want to run it from IGN instead so you never leave fan on overnight. If the wiring to the fan motor is good, it could be done fairly easily. It's always best to fix the problem when possible though, rather than bypass it.