Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Buying a Yaris is more economical in long run vs.Prius/Insight

well, we all know that we need to calculate the offset for hybrid vehicles, which includes how many years a person has to drive the hybrid/using gas to actually negate the extra price paid for the hybrid.

but also, we have to match car specifications as in terms of each vehicles size comparison and luxury,etc.

Is it true, the Honda Insight/Toyota Prius are the same as an yaris/corolla? as in terms of ride quality, space, etc. (i do know prius is larger than yaris)

If so, is it true then - people are only paying for the hybrid when choosing between yaris and prius? nearly 8k difference

So, basically, we would have to use nearly $8k in fuel to make up the difference between these cars....

So, I believe buying a Yaris is still worth it, though one can feel better that you are not polluting the environment driving the Prius.(or pray that gas won't hit near 5 bucks again)
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
There's no comparison between a Yaris and Prius in terms of class. The Prius is a much more refined car. Have you seen the Prius' interior? It's not far off from a Lexus. The Yaris on the other hand is infamous for it's cheap interior although I think it's a very good interior for what it is. Also, the Prius is classified as a mid-sized car even though it is fairly compact on the outside. That's two sizes up from a Yaris. Driving refinement reveals a big difference too. The Prius is one of the smoothest cars out there and even though it's no sports car, it handles better too. Bottom line is that a Yaris is an economy car. The Prius isn't (even though it's built to be economical on gas).

There's really no reason that one would cross shop the two but I'm sure there's a few people who have. The Prius isn't intended to be the cheapest to own, the Yaris is.
Attached Images

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Just wait till the Yaris Hybrid comes out.....one day....
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
When you talk about polution, do you take in consideration the polution that resulted in the process of manufacturing prius batteries.? Top of the line Yaris is probably only 3,000 different than the most basic prius.

When people buy cars, they consider their greedy interests first and not the environment.
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Also, the Prius is seen as a revolutionary and forward thinking car.. A lot of people pay extra just to be able to drive that and be a part of history..

There's not a whole lot that's special on the Yaris. Aside from the cheap (cost wise) traction control and stability control in the 2010 Yaris, you can get all the features of a Yaris and then some in more expensive cars.. Of course, there are much more expensive cars than the Yaris that DON'T have traction control and stability control, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Generally everything in the Yaris you can find in more expensive cars, not so with the Prius..

You can't get the gas mileage of a Prius in your Mercedez Benz.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
There's no comparison between a Yaris and Prius in terms of class. The Prius is a much more refined car. Have you seen the Prius' interior? It's not far off from a Lexus. The Yaris on the other hand is infamous for it's cheap interior although I think it's a very good interior for what it is. Also, the Prius is classified as a mid-sized car even though it is fairly compact on the outside. That's two sizes up from a Yaris. Driving refinement reveals a big difference too. The Prius is one of the smoothest cars out there and even though it's no sports car, it handles better too. Bottom line is that a Yaris is an economy car. The Prius isn't (even though it's built to be economical on gas).

There's really no reason that one would cross shop the two but I'm sure there's a few people who have. The Prius isn't intended to be the cheapest to own, the Yaris is.
Unfortunately I have seen the interior of the Prius.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
What don't you like about it? I personally love it (3rd generation that I pictured).
Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
Agreed, I don't want to drive the Battlestar Galactica!

Plus, there is the definite "smug factor" in driving the Prius...

Makes me want to drive over them with my Jeep!

And there is no way a Prius comes anywhere close to the Yaris in terms of coolness!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
What don't you like about it? I personally love it (3rd generation that I pictured).
1. the price for what you get
2. the shifter and it's funky placement
3. the shifter and it's funky selection
4. the push button park
5. the way the dash comes down to meet the center consol. doesn't allow for much hand holding or thigh rubbing.
6. push button start (I like the feel of a key in my hand)
7. lack of a decent trunk (gotta stick those batteries somewhere, and if I'm gonna go back to a sedan, it damn well better have a usable trunk!!)
8. lack of a glovebox above the steering wheel (very handy)
9. where are the cup holders?

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Agreed, I don't want to drive the Battlestar Galactica!

Plus, there is the definite "smug factor" in driving the Prius...

Makes me want to drive over them with my Jeep!

And there is no way a Prius comes anywhere close to the Yaris in terms of coolness!
Me too!!! On both accounts!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
The Yaris is deffinately a inexpensive car that gets good mileage. But there are perks to the Prius... lets start with the nicer interior and optionsal heated leather seats, touch screen/ voice activated Navigation, back-up camera, solar power roof, .... oh yeah, and the HUGE tax break on the Prius. Now, with some small modifications, I believe the issues (yes, even I have complaints with the interior style of the Prius) could be fixed and you could have cup holders, finer cut interiors, and not feel like you were in something NASA built. I also believe that the Yaris has just as many improvements that could be made on it too though. For instance, the intake on the Yaris is more like sucking a concrete malt through a coffee stir stick... it is VEY difficult to get stuff through that thing. And have you SEEN the mufflers? You need a GPS to find your way out! The seats are not the most comfortable, and the blu-tooth is in a very inconvienient spot. Now, they both stand the test of time and miles, and they both are priced VERY well for what you get, especially for being Toyota's. I think on the next version of the Yaris, they will get a lot more right, and it shoulf be a great car. The Prius did fix some complaints, but they were trying to get more efficiency out of it as well as more power, and they succeeded, with honors. So it's more of a style thing to either side of this battle. Get what you want and make sure it lasts as long as it takes to pay it off, and you are fine.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Kal-El

For the record, the Prius does of course have cupholders. They're right behind the shifter like most cars.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 AM   #13
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
CNN did an article on hybrids and cost/economics of them. if i remember they said it would take about 7 to 8 years to save the cost in fuel to make up for the price tag and by then the repairs/upkeep would still out weight the cars in the subcompact class... basically save your cash buy a lil car if your wanting to be cheap.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
indyhairball

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 2008 Prius
I have a 2009 Yaris and a 2008 Prius. Comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. I like the Yaris to drive around town. Small and maneuverable and with great pick it's just the thing for city driving. However for the road trip a Yaris just doesn't compare to a Prius. The Prius is more comfortable with atuomatic climate control and the great mileage. They both have great attributes.
indyhairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
The Yaris for the money is one of the most economical forms of transportation when buying a new car.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
When you talk about polution, do you take in consideration the polution that resulted in the process of manufacturing prius batteries.? Top of the line Yaris is probably only 3,000 different than the most basic prius.
Theres also disposal issues with those batteries when they need to be replaced.Personally i dont like the idea of owning a car that somewhere down the road is going to need a $6-$8k battery change when the car will probably be worth less than $5k at the time,also those hybrids are much more computer intensive than a plain old Yaris and when it comes time for repairs i'm sure the Yaris will be a lot cheaper..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #17
Yawesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyhairball View Post
I have a 2009 Yaris and a 2008 Prius. Comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. I like the Yaris to drive around town. Small and maneuverable and with great pick it's just the thing for city driving. However for the road trip a Yaris just doesn't compare to a Prius. The Prius is more comfortable with atuomatic climate control and the great mileage. They both have great attributes.
but doesn't a hybrid save the most gas when in city driving?
Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
Yawesh

does anyone know how much tax credit one gets from the pruis? (as in how much refunded back to u? )