Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #289
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyg00SE View Post
My first was a '60s Suzuki 80cc. This is my second Zuma (BWS there). It's a good all-around bike. I use it mostly on the street, but have taken it off-road a few times.
I'd really like to have a Gilera DNA50.. wish they were available in the US. I see Chinese knock offs running around here. They're crap.

Back on topic.. I'd rock one of these if I could.. my first car was a '77 Civic.
Looks a bit tight for room inside must be a true small car
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #290
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Drove a 2018 Subaru Impreza hatchback this weekend. First time I've ever driven a Subaru. Glad I did. Awesome car in every way!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #291
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Drove a 2018 Subaru Impreza hatchback this weekend. First time I've ever driven a Subaru. Glad I did. Awesome car in every way!
All the auto reviews that I have seen seem to agree with you. I'm fairly neutral on the styling of the Impreza, and I'm not sure what's up with that 90's retro wing spoiler on the sedan, lol. Still, if I didn't select a Toyota made vehicle for purchase, I would likely elect a Subaru instead - especially since Honda has gone down the horrible styling and quality-control route that they have. For some reason, the Crosstrek does seem to appeal to me, even though I'm not 'an SUV guy'.

I'm seriously thinking about moving up my next car purchase to Winter 2018. Waiting until the end of 2018 will allow me to see what changes (if any) are in store for the Toyota iM, and then likely select a 2018 or 2019 model depending on styling/feature differences - plus the end of year discounted pricing to clean out inventory is always nice. If I selected a 2018 iM, it would likely be in Barcelona Red Metallic, since a Dark/Falcon grey metallic isn't available. The piano black trim really pops with that deeper burgundy-red color, and the taillights blend nicely with it. I find it really odd that it is the least popular color on the iM. The runner-up, if I changed my mind on the iM for some reason, would probably be a 2018/2019 Black (stealth-styling ) Yaris SE - which I would have dealership swap wheels with my 2015 SE as conditions of the purchase, and transfer over the TRD rear sway bar also. We will see.

Last edited by Kalispel; 12-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #292
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
I'm planning on getting the newest (used) BMW Alpina B7 I can afford when ever I decide to buy a newer car.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #293
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
All the auto reviews that I have seen seem to agree with you. I'm fairly neutral on the styling of the Impreza, and I'm not sure what's up with that 90's retro wing spoiler on the sedan, lol. Still, if I didn't select a Toyota made vehicle for purchase, I would likely elect a Subaru instead - especially since Honda has gone down the horrible styling and quality-control route that they have. For some reason, the Crosstrek does seem to appeal to me, even though I'm not 'an SUV guy'.
Yes, the new Impreza gets great reviews. I agree about Subaru styling... always thought it kind of ho-hum. But, the redesigned Impreza is actually very appealing IMHO.

The new sheet metal design makes sense form any angle. The front grille, headlights, and fog lights, though conservative, are very handsome. And, the tail light configuration is clean and nicely integrated into the body.

I'm really impressed with the interior design, roominess, and the quality and feel of the materials. Plus, the front seats are among the most comfortable I've ever experienced; firm and supportive, with excellent lumbar... even in base trim.

The drive put all other small hatchbacks to shame; quick, responsive, confident, road hugging, and surprisingly quiet. Seating position, steering wheel adjustment, and visibility are excellent.

Needless to say, I loved this car!

These are the small hatchbacks I've driven recently:
Honda Civic - YUK (I hated this car)
Toyota iM - Fair overall (too many things I didn't like)
Mazda 3 - Pretty darn good (but cramped/unattractive/cheap interior and noisy)
Subaru Impreza - Winner by a mile (couldn't find anything to complain about)

If you get a chance, stop by a Subaru dealership and check one out. Test drive if you have the time. I'd be interested how you feel about the car after a close inspection and drive.

BTW, there is a promotion that pops up when you visit a Subaru dealership's website: $25 to test drive. When I got home, there was a virtual Visa card sent by email.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #294
kimona
Super Moderator

2017 Subaru Impreza v Mazda3 v Toyota Corolla v Holden Astra Comparison | Drive.com.au

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dax2i5f0I
Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #295
Kalispel

Quote:
2017 Subaru Impreza v Mazda3 v Toyota Corolla v Holden Astra Comparison | Drive.com.au

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dax2i5f0I
That's a good review video to watch, even though it's the Australian market versions. I remember watching it a few months ago, and enjoyed it. Love how even the middle trim Corolla hatch (iM) in Australia has standard fog lights - and the top trim even has LED headlights. God, I hate the U.S. market for automobiles...

I will definitely be checking out both the Impreza and Crosstrek before making any final decisions late next year. I'm not sure if I like the hatch or sedan better when it comes to the Impreza. I wish they would have stuck with 17" wheels though. Not a fan of the newer trend of 'oversized' wheels & tires on vehicles. It looks somewhat comical, especially when the alloy design is pretty goofy (like with the Impreza, Crosstrek & iM). On the compact iM, I would be tempted to drop to 16" wheels and 50 series tires instead of 45, since it is really only slightly larger than a Yaris, overall.

Last edited by Kalispel; 12-11-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #296
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure if I like the hatch or sedan better when it comes to the Impreza. I wish they would have stuck with 17" wheels though. Not a fan of the newer trend of 'oversized' wheels & tires on vehicles. It looks somewhat comical, especially when the alloy design is pretty goofy (like with the Impreza, Crosstrek & iM). On the compact iM, I would be tempted to drop to 16" wheels and 50 series tires instead of 45, since it is really only slightly larger than a Yaris, overall.
I agree with you.

The Impreza is available in 4 trims:

Base: 16x6.5 steel wheels (205/55/16)
Premium: 16x6.5 alloys (205/55/16)
Limited: 17x7 alloys (205/50/17)
Sport: 18x7.5 alloys (225/40/18)
Old 12-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #297
Kalispel

I checked out my first Toyota iM in-person today at the dealership while waiting for my oil change & tire rotation. They had a single Barcelona Red Metallic one on the lot. It's a much better looking and feeling car in person than the pictures or videos online give it credit for - especially in that gorgeous color w/all the black piano trim. The loads of white and silver iM's they had didn't look half as good to me. This particular dealership tints all their new cars (Ughh.) and I noticed that every one of them had very noticeable tinting flaws on the back window portion in the same spots. Not sure if that is a difficult window to tint without air seams around the edges or what. I know that I would never buy a dealer-tinted car, because I prefer to pick my own tinting shop and quality brand/grade of tint to install. I still haven't test drove one yet, due to time limitations, so that is something for down the road. I'm still not trusting of CVT quality over the long-term, even on a Toyota, and would probably be tempted to go manual transmission once again if I went with an iM. Seems like I read about a lot of premature failure issues with CVT's across all auto brands, even on the latest Toyota Corolla - which uses the same CVT as the iM if I am not mistaken.

I also checked out the lone 2018 Yaris (L) they had on the lot, sitting next to the dozen or so iM's they had. Hated the horribly cheap look of the new taillights and the weird position they sit relative to the rest of the car design. The front of the L model actually looks better (to me) than the front of the 2015-2017 L model though. I'm definitely crossing the 2018 version Yaris off my list now, just for those awful awful low-rent taillights, if nothing else. It's mind boggling how the 2018 Yaris SE and iM can be at virtually the same price point, when the iM is such a nicer, refined, better-equipped car (and still made in Japan!).

I somewhat expect comparable Subaru Impreza models to be a more-deluxe car than the iM, overall, since the Sport & Limited trims are anywhere between $3-5K higher in price. I will probably go check them & the Crosstrek out sometime early next year, and get around to test driving an iM in both manual & CVT. I've read rumors that the next-gen 'global platform' iM/Auris (2019?) and Corolla (2020?) will have BMW engines, and I'm not sure I like that, even if they are more 'modern' and powerful. BMW isn't exactly known to be reliable and trouble free. I also read that the next-gen iM/Auris will no longer be built in Japan - I think they are setting up NA production for Mexico. Again, not very thrilled with that prospect at all, and won't buy any car built there.

Last edited by Kalispel; 12-12-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #298
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
#WRX_STi

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #299
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
I’ll just leave this here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 14151659-92BD-4D8D-AF5F-153127A03832.jpeg (205.8 KB, 42 views)
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #300
kimona
Super Moderator

^^^ IMHO, wicked UGLY lower front end!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #301
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I bought a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES hatch a couple months ago. I honestly can say I love this little thing. It's simple, basic, and was a great deal.

So far, added a weighted shift knob and bought 195/50/15 Yokohama S.Drives mounted on 15x6.5 (+38) MB Revolt wheels. I can honestly say it's the most noticeable tire upgrade I've ever done. Then again, 165/65/14 low-rolling resistance tires aren't exactly great for handling.

I also just bought side skirts for it and will be getting a lowered suspension and rear sway bar on it shortly. Don't worry, I still have my Yaris.

Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #302
kimona
Super Moderator

^^^ NICE! Wheels and tyres look good.

Is that Mitsubishi emblem removable without leaving holes?
Old 12-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #303
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
^^^ NICE! Wheels and tires look good.
+1

Looks really good from the pic. Love the color; is it OEM?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #304
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Mirage looking good with those tires . How's the gas mileage ? Few weeks ago we test drove a '17 G4 with the C.V.T.. Managed to get 40 during the drive with 2 of us and temps hovering around 35 . Car kept up fine on the interstate . The steering wheel seemed off . Had a tendency to go to the right when wheel was level ( possible low tire pressure ? ) . They're known for poor alignment and to much play in the steering from the factory . The car was under $13,000 . Have you been to the MIRAGE / G4 owners site ? If not , http://mirageforum.com/index.php
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #305
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
I will definitely be checking out both the Impreza and Crosstrek before making any final decisions late next year.
Actually, the Crosstrek was the car I wanted to check-out when I initially went to the Subaru dealership. However, when I sat in it, I immediately discovered that the seat was uncomfortable and had no lumbar support whatsoever... so I passed on it without a test-drive.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #306
Kalispel

Quote:
Actually, the Crosstrek was the car I wanted to check-out when I initially went to the Subaru dealership. However, when I sat in it, I immediately discovered that the seat was uncomfortable and had no lumbar support whatsoever... so I passed on it without a test-drive.
I would think that the Crosstrek would have had the same seats as the Impreza, since they are built the same platform. I guess I will find out when I sit in one in a few months. It's interesting when you visit the various forums of different cars, and see that some people hate the seats (or whatever), while others find them comfortable & fine. The Honda HR-V springs to mind first, in that regard. I guess that height, girth, limb/torso proportions and other things probably play into why seats (or steering wheel position) are horrible for one person and okay for another.