Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Caramanos2000

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5dr Hatch
BMW rear shocks and Fit rear springs?

Im looking for ways to improve the performance of the yaris while keeping the stock height. Basically im looking to stiffen it up. I already have BMW rear shocks installed which are stiffer than oem and wont blow as easily. I saw a post on here saying that Honda Fit springs will fit the rear and that they have a slightly higher spring rate, which I assume would better match the BMW shocks. Do you guys think the Fit springs will leave me at about stock height at the rear?
Caramanos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
In your case, I would first install the dampers. They may be all you need to gain the improvement you desire. Installing the FIT springs is like rolling the dice. It may be successful or you may be higher or lower than the stock spec you desire.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
What BMW shocks did you use?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Caramanos2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
What BMW shocks did you use?
I have already installed the shocks several months ago. I used monroe brand BMW e46 shocks, sourced locally were around $80 for the pair. We welded a big washer were the original piston cover sits and then slid the cover over the washer. This was done because the outer diameter of the BMW shock was slightly smaller than the yaris one so I was afraid the piston would slide through the metal hole in the original cover. This is important because this cover is also the lower base for the mounting bushings. The only other mod needed was to make the mounting holes on the rear beam larger. This was done to accommodate larger bolts as the E46 mount has a larger sleeve than the OEM. Took around 2 hours to do all of it and had made a CONSIDERABLE difference, im still looking to get it slightly stiffer. It has seen some track use too
Old 10-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramanos2000 View Post
I have already installed the shocks several months ago. I used monroe brand BMW e46 shocks, sourced locally were around $80 for the pair. We welded a big washer were the original piston cover sits and then slid the cover over the washer. This was done because the outer diameter of the BMW shock was slightly smaller than the yaris one so I was afraid the piston would slide through the metal hole in the original cover. This is important because this cover is also the lower base for the mounting bushings. The only other mod needed was to make the mounting holes on the rear beam larger. This was done to accommodate larger bolts as the E46 mount has a larger sleeve than the OEM. Took around 2 hours to do all of it and had made a CONSIDERABLE difference, im still looking to get it slightly stiffer. It has seen some track use too
cool idea , if u dont have rear sway bar that makes a big difference too ..like a TRD
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Caramanos2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
cool idea , if u dont have rear sway bar that makes a big difference too ..like a TRD
Ive thought about it, however I fail to see how adding a solid bar to an already solid bar has an impact. I simply cant understand why it would make a difference given out cars suspension design.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Ive thought about it, however I fail to see how adding a solid bar to an already solid bar has an impact. I simply cant understand why it would make a difference given out cars suspension design.
It makes a huge difference. The beam flexes. The bar stiffens it up. Huge improvement is stability and reduced understeer. A must have!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Quote:
since the yaris does not come with one from factory it makes a night and day difference , i have it on my car and its awesome ..im running the TRD and best money spend.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Caramanos2000

I know it doesnt come with one. My point is this: usually sway bars attach to 2 moving points, 2 points that move independently and the bar ties them together. In the rear of the yaris all your doing is connecting a solid bar to a solid bar, the stock beam is so much stronger and larger than the sway bar, why would the sway bar make any difference? Its nice like the 2 anchor points (the shock bolts) are flexing independently and somehow that little bar is gonna stop it.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Exiwolfman

Quote:
I know it doesnt come with one. My point is this: usually sway bars attach to 2 moving points, 2 points that move independently and the bar ties them together. In the rear of the yaris all your doing is connecting a solid bar to a solid bar, the stock beam is so much stronger and larger than the sway bar, why would the sway bar make any difference? Its nice like the 2 anchor points (the shock bolts) are flexing independently and somehow that little bar is gonna stop it.
the stock rear bar has lots of flex so with the sway bar u take that away..trust me and ask anyone that has installed one it changes the way the whole car drives.
I would do that before installing honda springs or even doing ur bmw shock swap .Since u have the better shocks add sway bar ...its simple physics you are eliminating unwanted flex in the suspension .
Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Like Muskoka an Exi stated above, it increases the stiffness to the rear axle which severely reduces under steer. It's money well spent on improving handling and it doesn't change stock height. It was one of the best mods I have made so far
Old 10-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:

It's connected to your suspension at both ends and NOT your rear solid beam. Hence theirs your two point connection as it should be.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:29 AM   #13
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Another strong recommendation for the TRD rear sway bar. Well worth it.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
rbennett2082

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3dr 5spd
Went with the Whiteline unit, huge difference no more road wander at highway speed. Also stiffens rear axle to the point when lifting car from front lift point to service brakes the rear tire on the same side almost lifts off the ground as well.
rbennett2082 is offline   Reply With Quote