Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #37
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I have a (02) Celica GT so, I'm in a position to make a good comparison.

First off, the yaris has more low end torque but, if you down shift the Celica, it would definately pull away from a Yaris. The Celica's 1ZZ engine is rev happy.

However, when they are both up to highway speeds (and both in 5th gear) a Yaris would probably have no problem keeping up with the Celica for the most part..
so, the 1.5L engine makes more low end torque than a 1.8L ?

the celica GT's engine rev happy? doesn't the 1zz rev to about 6300rpm? and the 1nz in the yaris rev's to 6400 or so? either way, they're within a couple hundred rpm of each other, so what makes the 1zz "rev happy" ? i've owned two cars with the 1zz and neither of them i'd consider rev happy.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #38
DIPLOMATIC
LIGHTS OUT

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
Did you do that on the test drive?

haha no there is actually a funny story behind it. I was actually driving in third gear for about 1,000 miles when I first got the car. If you have ever seen the automatic, you know the shift has one slot for both Drive and 3rd gear, and me being the idiot I am, I confused the slot for 3 and D being the same gear.

Anyway I was driving on the highway when some tool in a civic thought he was macho and cut into my lane doing probably 90. Well I saw that my exit was ahead so I quickly passed him and double laned to the exit ramp so he had no chance of passing me; the engine humming all the way because the car was in 3rd gear; at 110mph. When I was showing my new car to my father one day he told me to be careful and make sure that I shift into D and not 3 because I will blow the motor if I drive at 5 rpm for a long time.

My stomach dropped, and I have never made that mistake again. How lucky I am to realize what a fool I was before I caused a serious problem.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #39
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
The one I drove in Ireland a few years ago had a lot more punch. I think their gas is better. I know there are things one can do to make ours as quick but it's a bit pricey. The reason I bought mine is that I wanted to have a lift back with the best mileage for a non hybrid. I might modify it a bit after the warranty expires but I'd hate to sacrifice the fuel economy.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #40
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
so, the 1.5L engine makes more low end torque than a 1.8L ?

the celica GT's engine rev happy? doesn't the 1zz rev to about 6300rpm? and the 1nz in the yaris rev's to 6400 or so? either way, they're within a couple hundred rpm of each other, so what makes the 1zz "rev happy" ? i've owned two cars with the 1zz and neither of them i'd consider rev happy.
Yes the Yaris engine has more low end torque than the celica 1ZZ.
In fact the The celica 2zz in the GT-S has less low end torque than the 1ZZ

The 1zz is rev happy because most of its power in in the higher RPM range. as compared to the 1nz.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #41
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I've thought about power mods on a small scale, even though I'm satisfied with what it has. But then the dealer gave me an incentive....LIFETIME drive train warranty......I think I'll keep it stock and keep the warranty,meh, maybe a better aircleaner.
But then again, like stated, all that isnt why I bought the car, The Yaris was intended for reliable, daily driver, many years of service and A given price point. The more power they put into it, the lower the mileage and reliability and longevity.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #42
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
There is more to being fast than just stomping the pedal. Any dick can go 100 mph down the highway. The question is... can you go 100 mph on the off ramp? ...NOT recommended, lol
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #43
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Did you do that on the test drive?
Right before the airbag test
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #44
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
The Yaris is only as slow as the driver.
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #45
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
At my age and place in life, I could have bought a lot of other cars. But I chose the Yaris because of it's economy, price and even looks to some degree. It just doesn't make much sense to throw a bunch of jack at a car for me these days. Maybe my priorities have shifted as I've gotten older. But all-out power is just not a big deal to me anymore. The Yaris will more than do all legal speed limits in the USA. And quite frankly, if anyone bought a Yaris with the idea that it is some kind of high performance car....well, then life will continue to be hard for you.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #46
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb3990 View Post
I have a manual transmission and am very satisfied with the acceleration power. Anyone who bought an automatic and complains about acceleration only has themselves to blame.
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #47
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
I took a little 200+ mile road trip today. It involved about 120 miles of I-5 and 100 miles of windy mountain roads. I learned a couple of things about Yaris speed on my trip.

1. The Yaris will out accelate a Rav-4 from 55 up to 95 mph. I know it's not saying much but at least it isn't the slowest Toyota on the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman86 View Post
There is more to being fast than just stomping the pedal. Any dick can go 100 mph down the highway. The question is... can you go 100 mph on the off ramp? ...NOT recommended, lol
2. There is nothing more awesome than watching the full size Chevy truck that followed you into a tight corner at Yaris speed, try to stay on the road. Two corners in a row.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #48
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
I took a little 200+ mile road trip today. It involved about 120 miles of I-5 and 100 miles of windy mountain roads. I learned a couple of things about Yaris speed on my trip.

1. The Yaris will out accelate a Rav-4 from 55 up to 95 mph. I know it's not saying much but at least it isn't the slowest Toyota on the freeway.

2. There is nothing more awesome than watching the full size Chevy truck that followed you into a tight corner at Yaris speed, try to stay on the road. Two corners in a row.
The V6 Rav4 will devastate a Yaris, as it is nearly 300HP. The non-4wd V6 can 0-60 almost under 6 seconds, AWD in 6.7. A manual Yaris can't even break 8 or even 8.5 for that matter, over 2 seconds behind, and trailing even further by the quarter mile marker.

Even if it was a 4 cylinder, the specs are pretty close. But you'd still have to be in a manual Yaris. The auto Yaris is nearly in the 10 second range for 0-60.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #49
djct_watt

Man, I hope you guys keep your racing off the streets, but if you have ever had a car or vehicle that is TRULY fast, you'd know that the most annoying thing is stupid slow cars trying to race and nearly causing accidents.

When I was in the USA and had my bike, I ALWAYS had somebody in a civic or a Yaris or a Scion cut me off and throw on their hazards, and I wasn't even racing. Keep in mind, most people don't care what car is faster, since odds are, if you are racing something in the same class, both cars are retardedly slow. Maybe through the corners or some kind of course where handling would come into play, the Yaris might be a real contender. But on most streets, racing is really pointless.

And yes, it's one thing to have some fun, but I hope you keep it reasonably safe. And also I hope you guys remember that sometimes (and many times) these people aren't even racing. In this car, it's possible to accelerate flat out against another car, run neck and neck, and they might just be cruising minding their own business. It's usually the cars/drivers with something to prove that cause the most problems.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #50
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Having a fast car causes more problems then it's worth.

My last car was a '93 Lexus SC400 (250 hp 4.0 V-8). The thing had sweet high end torque. Naturally, I did stupid things on the highway like go from 65-100 in a matter of 3 seconds. With an effortlessly fast car, your going to find yourself speeding all the time even without knowing it. This means tickets.

I have found that owning a Yaris has turned me into a very responsible and safe driver. And one who has yet to get a ticket after two years of ownership.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 AM   #51
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
\
When I was in the USA and had my bike, I ALWAYS had somebody in a civic or a Yaris or a Scion cut me off and throw on their hazards, \.

lol. i highly doubt that.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:17 AM   #52
djct_watt

Believe it or not, yeah. . . there were a lot in LA. Corolla's too. . . basically any cheap entry level car. Oh god, Sentra's were terrible as well!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:22 AM   #53
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
The V6 Rav4 will devastate a Yaris, as it is nearly 300HP. The non-4wd V6 can 0-60 almost under 6 seconds, AWD in 6.7. A manual Yaris can't even break 8 or even 8.5 for that matter, over 2 seconds behind, and trailing even further by the quarter mile marker.

Even if it was a 4 cylinder, the specs are pretty close. But you'd still have to be in a manual Yaris. The auto Yaris is nearly in the 10 second range for 0-60.
I wouldn't know about the 0-60 times since my post was "55 up to 95 mph". We started at 55 and I let off at 95 quite a few times with him trailing way back.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #54
djct_watt

My point is that lack of torque (from a smaller engine) is exacerbated at higher speeds. So if the Yaris is trailing from 0-60, it will be trailing by EVEN MORE at higher speeds. A good example is a motorcycle. 0-60 in 3 seconds, 1/4 miles in 11 seconds or less. They'll keep up with any exotic sports car 0-60 or quarter mile. But pit them up at freeway speeds with a rolling start, and the supercar will win every time due to torque.