Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
WildChild

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Request: Picture of the transmission end of passenger CV axle

Hi,
after requesting some information on changing my driver side CV axle (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51635), I got a weird new issue.

Basically, when putting in the new driver side axle, the right axle got dislodged and transmission fluid started to leak. Any idea how it could have happened?

I put it back in place using a screwdriver and a hammer to hit the notch used for this purpose, but now fluid seems to leak when I'm driving and I can see a few drops on the ground a few hours after parking the car. I have the feeling that the axle might not be well seated in place.

Does anyone have a picture of the connection between the transmission and the axle so I can compare with mine?

Thank you!
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
sounds like u have pinched the axle seals in the transmission on the right side or both , have a closer look at where the leak is from and if so replace seals . You will have to remove the drive shafts and after the seals , pry them out and use something to push /punch back the new once also dont forget to top off ur trans fluid ...bet its low now too.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
WildChild

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I find it hard to believe it would have been pinched, but we never know... It got dislodged but the shaft did not go out completely. I guess it could have damaged the seal anyway.

Transmission fluid is definitely not low. I also drained/refilled it last weekend and drove 350KM without any noticeable loss.

Is it possible to remove the drive shaft from the transmission without removing everything on the wheel side (especially the axle nut)? I have in mind loosing the hub from the suspension but keeping the drive shaft attached to it. If not, I'll plan accordingly.
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote