Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
best free mod!! check it out!!

okay, so i've had my yaris for what? almost 2 months now? and only mods i did were interior lights and nice dent from shopping cart.....

that was, untill the other day, decided to check out my intake system. and yes, i did it, i upgraded my intake for free!! lol. it fixed almost all complaints anyone has had about this car:
the car is a little louder at lower RPM's,
its deeper soundingat any RPM,
smoother idle (less idle searching),
HP gain (how much i have no idea but you can feel it especailly in the lower RPM range),
EVEN BETTER FUEL EFFICIENCY!!
its alot more difficult to bounce the car between shifts,
engine breaking is a bit better (nothing significant),
RPMs drop faster once the throtle is released
easier to coast in first at low speeds and RPM
REVERSE IS A DREAM NOW!! (still grinds...nothing fixed there, but its smoother)

i do realize jsut about everything i listed is due to a boost in HP but seeing as i don't have a dino i cant test it....

so anyways, i will describe what i did, i also took pics of the process. i really jsut want to note it cost me nothing because i had an extra yaris stock air box so if anyone has a reason as to y this is bad for my yaris i can pop mine back in..... please wait and see what ppl say about it before doing it yourself

anyways, what i did is simple, almost brain dead simple..... i took my airbox cover off, inside there is a white filter that is attatched to the housing..... drill out the melted parts (mine had 6 melted circles) rip it out and remove the pipe from the bottom of the air box and there u have it.... lol. been thinking of drilling the hole bigger at the bottom but haven't decided yet.....

Name:  IMG00097.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  139.8 KB
Name:  IMG00098.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  140.9 KB
Name:  IMG00096.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  IMG00095.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  136.3 KB
Name:  IMG00100.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  120.3 KB
my main question is what in the world did i jsut take out? lol, my car (300km since mod) has been running great with no engine lights or anything.... any thoughts? my conclusion was (seeing as its filled with rubber chunks) that it will stop a back fire from messing up my air filter....

so far i love it!! mind you, i do plan on getting a proper intake for summer
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
yaris2010RS

assuming no one knows exactly what was taken out??
Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
It's called a carbon trap. It traps the fuel vapors that come out through the intake when the engine is off for reuse. The tube that you took off is a silencer tube. All that does is tone down the noise.

Not sure about the Yaris, but with the IS-F, someone did dyno runs with and without the carbon trap. Results...decrease in hp without the carbon trap.

I was really considering removing it, but after reading that, I decided not to. I removed my silencer tube, but didn't see any change. I never put it back tho. hahahaha.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
yaris2010RS

i find without the silencer tube the hole in the bottom of the air box is right after the cooling fan.....meaning some forced (or introduced) injection. lol. i notice for sure taking off something is better..... i think..... lol, any ways to test it without a dino? been thinking once the weather dryes up a bit doing a 0-60 and 0-100 test, an average with the trap and an average wqithout the trap.....

maybe its like stickers..... the more stickers you have on your car the faster it goes, lol. without the silencer and trap the car is a bit louder...... tricks me that its going faster.....

so bottom line, nothing can really get damaged in my engine/ car due to this right? except if possibally too much fuel vapors get on my filter it could combust? lol
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i find without the silencer tube the hole in the bottom of the air box is right after the cooling fan.....meaning some forced (or introduced) injection. lol. i notice for sure taking off something is better..... i think..... lol, any ways to test it without a dino? been thinking once the weather dryes up a bit doing a 0-60 and 0-100 test, an average with the trap and an average wqithout the trap.....

maybe its like stickers..... the more stickers you have on your car the faster it goes, lol. without the silencer and trap the car is a bit louder...... tricks me that its going faster.....

so bottom line, nothing can really get damaged in my engine/ car due to this right? except if possibally too much fuel vapors get on my filter it could combust? lol
Speed tests won't be a very good way to measure power. Wind and ambient temperature changes, as well as road surface and temperature will give you varying times.

I don't suppose any damage will occur to your engine. The environment, yes.

Oh, when the radiator fan kicks in, it's trying to cool the coolant/radiator itself, thereby dissipating heat within the engine bay. Since the hole we "made" by taking off the silencer tube is behind it, we're actually sucking up that heat. Like I said, I don't feel any difference other than noise. hehe.

You can do what I did before. Take that silencer tube to a hardware store. Match the diameter of the bottom hole (the part that connects to the intake box) with some dryer tubing or any other flexible tubing (might be 2.5-3", not sure, I didn't measure it). Then you can stick and secure that tubing to where the silencer tubing connects to, and route the tubing down to in front of the bottom grill or behind the foglight/foglight cover (cut a hole in the cover if you don't have a foglight), thereby receiving fresh, cooler air. It may or may not add some hp. I didn't feel any difference when I ran this set up with a K&N drop in (carbon trap still in place).

Quote:
13. Kenua6 and his ducting from the lower bumper to the base of the airbox, ushering in cooler air to the intake: Moved rear spoiler, Home made ice box,Led plate light~
Just did some little thing over the weekend, I already did the KN drop removed resonator and 6k HID few week ago, but I think the that intake sucking the hot air is not good so I go ahead and did custom piping for the intake, and also I moved the rear spoiler move rear cause I dont like the rear spoiler when I first got the Si but now I love the spoiler alot more.

finish all the typing please enjoy the picture guy!!

home made ice box

Some pepboy ram air kit and 135 degree silicone hose I sell size 2.75"

^ that's an 8th gen Civic, btw.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

If that's your car in your avatar, route the tubing to the bottom grill. Might want to put some mesh in front of the opening of the tubing too.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
without that carbon trap in your intake your car does not meet the same emissions standards it did when it was on the lot.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

Oh, back to the HP issue, total HP or peak HP is probably lost..... But bottom end HP there is a gain for sure.... And really I'm not racing it so I think its good. Will try that cold air piping thing as soon as the weather clears up