Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yariz View Post
Not really, it depends on the application... If you are running a domestic with heavy parts, and you are dragging a C6 3-Spd Transmission will shift better than any human with the right kit.

But on our car, and little ricers yeah i agree.
Uh. . . what percentage of cars on the road NOW (today, and not in fantasy land) produce enough torque to even be driveable with a C6 3spd??? We're talking about normal day to day drive to work cars, not drag racers! Are you really telling me you drive your 1000hp nitro-meth funnycar racer to the local store?

Most cars with a V6/I4 option sell the lower displacement motor in FAR GREATER numbers. If anything, the C6 would make MOST cars less efficient and undriveable.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
djct_watt

Quote:
Good to see you have an opinion, just an fyi I am not gonna read it, lots of words and stuff IDC about. But I just should let you know I only mentioned it b/c I have seen it in other places on forums with foreign cars. And I am not going to argue tranny stuff with a stranger. I had the original tranny in my car longer than most people in here have had one...
As an American, I find it offensive that people are easy to offend because they are American. Furthermore, I find that refusing to read contradictory ideas to be harmful to our image as Americans. If anything, you're just furthering the stereotype that Americans think they are always right and refuse to listen. I agreed with you in my post that both transmissions are good. I didn't exactly say that automatics were bad. If you are really so concerned about the image of "American," it's best to lead by example.
[/threadjack]
Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Good to see you have an opinion, just an fyi I am not gonna read it, lots of words and stuff IDC about. But I just should let you know I only mentioned it b/c I have seen it in other places on forums with foreign cars. And I am not going to argue tranny stuff with a stranger. I had the original tranny in my car longer than most people in here have had one...
OK, I think this may be a good time for me to throw in my opinion here

Everybody takes a deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath here.

Vehicles with automatic transmissions are prevalent in this country, like it or not, and vehicle with manual transmissions are much harder to find (and getting increasingly harder to find) That's no secret.

By contrast, in Europe or other countries in the world, MT still prevail.

I think that's all he was trying to say. "I thought Americans drive Automatic trannies" means only that, don't read into it

back on topic
Old 04-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #22
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I also am driving an auto for the first time in my 09 Yaris. Can anyone say why you push on the gas pedal and the car doesnt move...you push some more and it doesnt move...you push some more and VOOM it shoots forward?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #23
Yariz
Banned

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I also am driving an auto for the first time in my 09 Yaris. Can anyone say why you push on the gas pedal and the car doesnt move...you push some more and it doesnt move...you push some more and VOOM it shoots forward?

You have less control over where the power band is on an AT, especially ours as we can't really mod it much (easily). So it is 'tuned' to a certain power band, and it will not feel as responsive on our cars, a MT is the way to go. Unfortunately, no one has come up with a good solution (that I have seen) for us AT guys. I did like a lot of people and bought this as a commuter, and realized how fun it is...and here we are...
Yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #24
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
^^ you can mod it easily with a throttle controller, but my AT drives just fine, and I get power whenever I want it.

Sounds like someone was "too easy" on the pedal, and it adjusted. Try disconnecting the battery for 15-30 minutes to reset the ECU learning.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #25
Yariz
Banned

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
Uh. . . what percentage of cars on the road NOW (today, and not in fantasy land) produce enough torque to even be driveable with a C6 3spd??? We're talking about normal day to day drive to work cars, not drag racers! Are you really telling me you drive your 1000hp nitro-meth funnycar racer to the local store?

Most cars with a V6/I4 option sell the lower displacement motor in FAR GREATER numbers. If anything, the C6 would make MOST cars less efficient and undriveable.

Actually yes, I am telling you that. In the USA V8's are a lot more common than the tuk-tuk's u guys have. It is needed because we (in my location) are very far apart and have to haul a lot of stuff. I have had several cars, and this is the first to not have a V8.(Yes I love V8's, and don't care about emissions). However I respect your opinion, and you are welcome to have it.

Tomato (and myself) are right. No need to argue over transmissions. As I said in the first post, it is all dependent on the application.

TTYL Guys, I am unsubscribing. I think the guy can figure out an AT now.
Yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #26
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Please refrain from negative comments about Americans.
Thomas wasn't being negative. He is a long time and valued member of the community whose attitude and opinions are widely respected.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #27
djct_watt

Quote:
Actually yes, I am telling you that. In the USA V8's are a lot more common than the tuk-tuk's u guys have. It is needed because we (in my location) are very far apart and have to haul a lot of stuff. I have had several cars, and this is the first to not have a V8.(Yes I love V8's, and don't care about emissions). However I respect your opinion, and you are welcome to have it.

Tomato (and myself) are right. No need to argue over transmissions. As I said in the first post, it is all dependent on the application.

TTYL Guys, I am unsubscribing. I think the guy can figure out an AT now.
I am an AMERICAN. I've lived in the USA all my life, I've only been in Thailand for less than one year. There are far less V8's in the US than you think; just look at recent auto sales. . . I'm so glad I'm not living there now. It seems people cannot understand that when someone says "I'm American," it means they are American, have lived there, and understand the difference between a tuk tuk and a V8. Maybe it's just a Texas thing? What was it? Vocabulatory Dictionaryation?

Last edited by djct_watt; 04-11-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #28
Mookie@TMMTX

Drives: 2007 Yaris se
manual or automatic

I purchased a manual for three reasons:

1 I have had some friends with older toyota's and the only issues they had was with the auto transmission

2 The manuel on paper gets better gas mileage

3 Greatly limits the amount of lame friends who want to barrow my car!!!!

I love it , just take my car!!! Oh yea you can't cuz you can not make it go!
Mookie@TMMTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #29
Dadombomb15

Drives: 1996 Miata
Quote:
Actually yes, I am telling you that. In the USA V8's are a lot more common than the tuk-tuk's u guys have. It is needed because we (in my location) are very far apart and have to haul a lot of stuff.
V8's do not rule our auto world. As much as you would like to believe, it's just not true. How many US automakers have been shut down and scaled back? Do you know the reason for that? It's not financially feasible for the majority of our country to throw hundreds of dollars down the drain a month on gas. They use way too much gas with their big V8 SuperDiesels that get 10-12mpg. And Texas does not make up the United States either. You have to take into account that there are states outside of your definition of the US.
Performance: Corksport "Drift" Cat-Back Exhaust, Hard Dog Ace Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Future (planned) mods: Intake, bumper turning light "induction" kit, better aftermarket wheels (lighter), light flywheel, upgraded clutch, racing seats, etc etc.
Dadombomb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #30
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
No offense to the OP, but how is it possible to never have driven an auto?

You need to to pass your driver's test to get your license. I've never heard of a modern driving school or DMV that uses manuals for tests. Plus, you've never rented a car, borrowed a car, or anything?

We need more back story on your driving history just for curiosity's sake. I can't even imagine the plausibility of this.

I've driven thousands of cars (literally - I drive for a car dealer) and 98% are automatics.

A majority of models available in the US don't even have available MT's either.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #31
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Vehicles with automatic transmissions are prevalent in this country, like it or not, and vehicle with manual transmissions are much harder to find (and getting increasingly harder to find) That's no secret.

By contrast, in Europe or other countries in the world, MT still prevail.
Tomato my old friend, believe it or not, automatics are becoming much more common in smaller European cars as well!

And there is nothing wrong with the Yaris auto! It makes for easier city driving, and you can shift the transmission if you want (I do it all the time).

The bottom line is that it is personal preference which type of transmission people prefer. I used to want manual transmissions, but now prefer autos and have them in all three of my vehicles. If I really want performance and the ability to shift, I take out one of my motorcycles...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #32
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
I am an AMERICAN. I've lived in the USA all my life, I've only been in Thailand for less than one year. There are far less V8's in the US than you think; just look at recent auto sales. . . I'm so glad I'm not living there now. It seems people cannot understand that when someone says "I'm American," it means they are American, have lived there, and understand the difference between a tuk tuk and a V8. Maybe it's just a Texas thing? What was it? Vocabulatory Dictionaryation?
yea I agree, this dude seems like he is stuck in the 60's

He then cant take a joke from one of our longest members on the forum

this noob is going to be a real winner

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #33
djct_watt

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame me can't shame me shame again. Shame.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #34
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Tomato my old friend, believe it or not, automatics are becoming much more common in smaller European cars as well!

And there is nothing wrong with the Yaris auto! It makes for easier city driving, and you can shift the transmission if you want (I do it all the time).

Oh, I know. Still, it's not as common as MT's. Just give them a few years, they'll catch up.

And I agree with the auto being preferable in some situations. I actually almost regretted not getting an auto because it's so much easier up the hills, especially in traffic. I've been driving MT for so long, though, when I rent a car, it feels odd.

Quote:
No offense to the OP, but how is it possible to never have driven an auto?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #35
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I wish I knew how to drive manual. I was going to get a manual Yaris as my first manual car, but I've had a couple of emergencies where someone has had to drive and none of the people around that could drive, knew how to drive a manual.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #36
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame me can't shame me shame again. Shame.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote