Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Yaris to Echo Strut swap

Does anyone know if the rear and/or front struts on a '08 Yaris are compatible with an '02 Echo? The Echo's rears are leaking and the ones I just took off my Yaris are still in great shape so I'd love to swap them. The rears look exactly the same, the front's are what I'm really not sure about.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
From 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
Well, i got a hold of some Echo shocks and struts. I unbolted my stock components to see if they would fit, and they WILL NOT. So we can finally rule that out. I was majorly bummed because that would have really opened some new products open up for us.

Anyways, if anyone is intrested in specifics, the lower rear bolt is different. The stock yaris is very small, and the Echo mounts on a larger stud. The front strut holes are too far apart on the Echo. Other than that, both upper mounts look like they would work (but that may be a different story) and the strut spring perch look compatible.

Thought you guys might want to know.
There are a couple other threads which state not interchangeable.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
tmontague

does that go for front and rears?

nvm, just checked at rockauto and both F&R's are different part numbers and look different. So much for saving on the suspension
Old 03-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
tmontague

EDITED*
Just found the image I was looking for. Bolt sits on top of bearing and sub assembly then gets placed on top of that

Does anyone have an exploded view of how an '08 Yaris front strut is supposed to be re assembled? The manual doesn't have an exploded view and I'm confused about the bearing and strut mount (sub assembly) specifically.

The way I have it currently mounted look correct and it is function fine but for some reason I think I may have installed it wrong.

I currently have it installed as follows:

-bumper, boot and upper spring coil seat ontop of the spring
-bearing and mount (sub assembly) then placed on top (with the bearing underneath the mount)
-nut bolted on top
-strut installed in tower and then top mount and bolt tightened to secure it.

What I'm wondering is does the bolt go directly on top of the bearing and then the sub assembly just placed on top, or am I correct with bolting down the sub assembly and bearing together?

Last edited by tmontague; 03-31-2015 at 01:07 PM.