Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
drannonb

Drives: 2007 Hatchback
Fan Not Spinning Up, Random Airbag Light

I have a 2007 Yaris Hatchback with about 130k miles. Just last night I was taking some friends home and I looked down at my dash and noticed my airbag light was on. A moment later I noticed that even though my fan switch was in the 2 position there was no air moving out of the vents. After I dropped my friends off I pulled over in a quiet place and started poking around. When the AC switch is turned on, and I turn the fan switch on, the AC light comes on, and I can feel/hear the compressor kicking on too. When I turn the fan switch on and off I hear a quiet clicking noise just to the left of my steering wheel that appears to be coming from the dash.

This morning I got up and went out to the car. I turned it on and the air bag light was off and the fan turned and moved air when I turned the switch. Within about 5 minutes the fan stopped working again, but the airbag light never did come back on. Could this be a faulty relay? I'm new to maintaining my own vehicles so be gentle :)

Thanks!
drannonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Does your fan work on the highest setting? If it does you need a blower motor resistor.

Last edited by kou; 10-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
drannonb

No, it doesn't work on any setting.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Did you check the fuse box just to make sure everything is connected well? It doesn't sound like a fuse issue but car electrical issues can be pretty weird guys sometimes.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Check the 40A HTR fuse (which is one of the larger ones on the face of the under dash fuse panel {behind the change cup})

The intermittent airbag light could be caused by a few things. The next time it comes on, you can try the procedure in this thread to see what diag code is:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
drannonb

Thanks for the help, I'll try that out and report back!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
drannonb

I'm having trouble finding these fuses? The manual doesn't mention where they are or how to get to them...

I took out what I assumed you meant by the "Change Cup", the little swinging drawer type thing just under the mirror and gauge light controls, and looked in there. I can't seem to find what's what in there, but I did find that's where the clicking sound is coming from. I felt around to see if I could feel a vibration from the click and it was coming from two weird little boxes, a blue one and a pink one right next to it.

Last edited by drannonb; 10-23-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by drannonb View Post
I'm having trouble finding these fuses? The manual doesn't mention where they are or how to get to them...

I took out what I assumed you meant by the "Change Cup", the little swinging drawer type thing just under the mirror and gauge light controls, and looked in there. I can't seem to find what's what in there, but I did find that's where the clicking sound is coming from. I felt around to see if I could feel a vibration from the click and it was coming from to weird little boxes, a blue one and a pink one right next to it.
Actually - I just realized that I am sending you in the wrong direction. The HTR relay is down there (what you hear clicking), but the HTR fuse is in the under-hood fuse panel. You'll see it listed on the cover. The relay coil is controlled by another circuit, which is why you hear it clicking, yet do not have the fan kick on.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
drannonb

Ok thanks for the quick response! You are a life saver my friend! I'll go check that fuse right now and report back!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
drannonb

Ok so I checked the 40A HTR fuse... it APPEARS to be ok. Honestly I'm not sure what I'm looking for though. I assumed if it were bad the would be an obvious break in the fuse right? Anyway I pulled it, inspected it, and put it back in. Should I try buying a new one just in case?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
drannonb

New development: I went ahead and took off the glove box to have a look at the fan. Just out of curiosity I took out the filter, turned the car on, and turned the fan switch on. Nothing happened, but then I gently poked the fan blade and the fan spun right up. I'm starting to think maybe the fan motor is dirty or wearing out? Any ideas? Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by drannonb View Post
New development: I went ahead and took off the glove box to have a look at the fan. Just out of curiosity I took out the filter, turned the car on, and turned the fan switch on. Nothing happened, but then I gently poked the fan blade and the fan spun right up. I'm starting to think maybe the fan motor is dirty or wearing out? Any ideas? Thanks for all the help so far!
OK - So fuse is definitely good.

The fan assembly can be removed without taking off the dash. There are just three screws that hold it to the bottom of the airbox. You could try lubricating the motor.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
drannonb

Awesome, that's what I was thinking. Again thanks for all your help in narrowing it down!