Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
Repositioning the pedals

There have been lots of complaints that the steering wheel is too far away. I have experienced this too. It sounds like an extension for the steering wheel is difficult at best - unless anyone has some good ideas.

On the other hand, how about shortening the metal stalk the accelerator and brake pedal are attached to? Even a centimeter or two make make a big difference.

Any thoughts???
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Drive bare foot.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
fuji

???
Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Just add some pedal extensions,they can be custom made or just blocks of wood attached to the existing pedals, my mom being only 5ft tall has always used pedal extensions so she can reach them, her favorites are pieces of 2X4 s cut and shaped to the right size and held onto the pedals with hose clamps
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
fuji

Actually I wanted to make them shorter such that I would be able to get the steering wheel closer - hopefully the project to make an extension for the wheel is coming along well.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
the project for a stock wheel extension seems to have been dead for the past 2 years And seeing the way it is constructed inside, it's gonna be quite hard to do anyway...

Shortening the pedals, I don't think it will be possible, since they are all hinged above the pedal?

So in short the only feasible way is to install an aftermarket steering wheel, in which case you can out in spacers, quick release hubs, or similar, which will have the effect of pushing the wheel closer to the driver.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
fuji

What about cutting the metal shaft that connects the pedal and then repositioning it???

As for a replacement steering wheel, I would really like to retain the stock airbag. Just seems safer.....unless......there is a racing steering wheel with an aftermarket airbag - probably not. Plus isn't changing the stock wheel with airbag illegal?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
???
It'll bring you closer to the steering wheel.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
What about cutting the metal shaft that connects the pedal and then repositioning it???

As for a replacement steering wheel, I would really like to retain the stock airbag. Just seems safer.....unless......there is a racing steering wheel with an aftermarket airbag - probably not. Plus isn't changing the stock wheel with airbag illegal?
I still think it'll mess up the rotation of the pedal and making it feel weeeird...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Lowering the seat as far as it will go and setting the seat back quite upright solved the problem for me. I no longer have enough headroom to comfortably wear a hat, but that's the case in most cars. I even move the seat forward a tad from the rearmost position, now. I'm 6'3".
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Damn Hilton I thought I was cramped at 6'1. You must be flexible I need the seat to go back at least 2 more inches. This car was made for people between 5"2 and 5"8 IMO. My friends laugh at me when they see me pull up the "clown car analogy" is always used....It needs a center armrest has anyone installed the Toyota AM one it looks weak at best
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

No doubt the designers had smaller people in mind. I can't easily get in and out without jamming my right leg between the steering column and floor, with the wheel all the way up. And the sedan has less headroom than the hatchback.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
ExocetCom

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris RS
Speaking of driving position, is there actually any way to lower the driver's seat in a Yaris LB (Vitz)? Perhaps the seats in the Belta-based sedan can be lowered, but I didn't think I could in my Vitz LB. And if I can, I feel especially dumb for never really checking in the two years I've owned mine haha.
ExocetCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

On my Belta, the seat raising/lowering control is a lever near the bottom left side of the seat. It doesn't go down very low.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
lenzomaru

Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
i have a problem with the dead pedal on my right handed yaris 2007 sedan model, my foot never rests comfortable, and it hurts after extended driving. :-(