Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
(They come with the ballasts too, not just the bulbs. not sure if that's what you were asking up above.)

I've had them installed since August (or around there) and no problems yet.

I did have to disable my DRL for them to work though, so I only run them at night now.
The ballast ones definitely seem like the better route. With those, the wiring from the ballast to bulb and the bulb connector can be sized appropriately for the higher current draw. The drop-in HID bulbs must be the ones that people cook their wires and connectors with.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Scott,
Noticed the exact same thing. The light was merely whiter....not any brighter. The whiter light "appears" brighter because the eye likes that light but it doesn't do much for the poor lighting. Looks like I'll live with it. It's possible that I'd do HID's down the road but I'd have to get a projecter style (correct) housing.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #21
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The ballast ones definitely seem like the better route. With those, the wiring from the ballast to bulb and the bulb connector can be sized appropriately for the higher current draw. The drop-in HID bulbs must be the ones that people cook their wires and connectors with.
Yeah, I'm extremely happy with these ones. They even have a one-year warranty which is awesome. They were $110 or $115 shipped from Xenon-Vision here.

And I picked up an extra set of 8000K bulbs off of the forum for $20 to have as spares, just in case.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Scott,
Noticed the exact same thing. The light was merely whiter....not any brighter. The whiter light "appears" brighter because the eye likes that light but it doesn't do much for the poor lighting. Looks like I'll live with it. It's possible that I'd do HID's down the road but I'd have to get a projecter style (correct) housing.
I wonder how long it will be until someone makes projectors for the 09...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #23
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I wonder how long it will be until someone makes projectors for the 09...
If somebody makes a good and nice projector.....I am there!
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #24
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
If only depotautolights make the ccfl type projectors for the 09's.. =(
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #25
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
You don't blind oncoming traffic?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #26
33OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
You don't blind oncoming traffic?
Oncoming traffic no, people with really little cars who are in front of me at a light, yes.

You aim the headlights at the ground more, they're still 100 times brighter than non-HID.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #27
phu@xenon-vision

Drives: HONDA
HID will be alot brighter then the Silverstar, the difference is night and day. I provided a link below with more information on our HID Kits

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9610
phu@xenon-vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #28
33OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by phu@xenon-vision View Post
HID will be alot brighter then the Silverstar, the difference is night and day. I provided a link below with more information on our HID Kits

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9610
And I'll vouch for Xenon-Vision because I used their kit.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
CTScott go to www.powerbulbs.com and order either Osram Nightbreakers H4's or Philips X Treme H4's, and you will crap your pants compared to the stock bulbs and even the U.S. Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. The US versions use Halogen gas and tint the lens of the bulb to get the white color. The ones from Power Bulbs are filled with Xenon gas and most of the times never tint the glass. They are extremely bright and very very white compared to stock and US versions.

I am currently using the Philips X treme and love them. The Osram Nightbreakers didnt last very long for me and the Philips are as bright but are rated for a longer life.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #30
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
CTScott go to www.powerbulbs.com and order either Osram Nightbreakers H4's or Philips X Treme H4's, and you will crap your pants compared to the stock bulbs and even the U.S. Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. The US versions use Halogen gas and tint the lens of the bulb to get the white color. The ones from Power Bulbs are filled with Xenon gas and most of the times never tint the glass. They are extremely bright and very very white compared to stock and US versions.

I am currently using the Philips X treme and love them. The Osram Nightbreakers didnt last very long for me and the Philips are as bright but are rated for a longer life.

I purchased the Nightbreakers and noticed very little if any difference. The white is just brighter. I hope that somebody comes out with a nice projector headlight for the 09.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #31
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
5 minutes to remove the bumper.. seriously...maybe i can now swap my horn to a boat horn...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #32
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Just to add the other side of the story here, Silverstars don't last long. For a bulb that costs that much they tend to go in less than a year (I personally know 4+ people that had to replace at least one bulb within a few months). They also don't have as bright a light output as the Osram Silverstars (available online, pricey).

Personally I would give rallylights.com a call and tell them what you're looking for. They stock an insane number of bulbs and don't charge much at all.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #33
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
thats why u go for hids..low power consumption longer life as well plus a whole lot brighter.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #34
l2a3k2a3i

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB 5 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
5 minutes to remove the bumper.. seriously...maybe i can now swap my horn to a boat horn...
I like the way this guys thinks^ haha
l2a3k2a3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #35
PolarWhite

Drives: '07 Polar White Hatchback
Not even understanding this at all. I operate a lube center in Texas. We change light bulbs everyday. I bought my replacement bulbs from www.powerbulbs.com and I am very pleased with them. They are the Philips and they were recommended by the sales staff. I changed both of them and DID NOT remove the bumper. Was not a big deal at ALL. That is a lot of trouble to go to just to change a couple of bulbs. Just my .02 cents.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #36
Xander
I've made a post!

Drives: ScionXA
Thanks for the pictures, 2005 Scion Xa uses the same type of housing and lights, I am using a 4000K lights my lights where about 1 1/2 years old so I did see a good improvement as they start to be weaker as time goes on. I was able to do this in less than 10mins due to your pictures. Understanding what was under the rubber boot made it a very easy job of un hooking the clips by feel, I did notice on the driver side on the Xa its very cramped due to the fuse box I have heard allot of people say to unbolt it, I found by removing the fuse box cover my small hands where barely able to do it with out the need of unbolting anything. Thank you

On Xenon light kits, Plastic lens are going to melt pretty fast, also federal law mandates in the USA any xenon light must be in a housing intended to for it, so standard plastic lens on the Yaris and Xa are going to be illegal as 17 year old, The reason behind this is the optics of a halogen and the optics of a Xenon are different the Glare and the light will go places it shouldn’t and will blind people unless you replace the lens swell. So before you blow 80 dollars on Xenon kit I would consider is it worth the 150 dollar ticket or the 300-500 dollars more to get the correct housing for them to be street legal.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote