Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #109
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Update:

Cluster shipped. Cost me more than my original quote because I used more protective wrapping than originally anticipated and the extra weight cost more to send.

The Post Office says it should take anywhere from 3-15 Business Working Days to arrive. It's all out of my hands now.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #110
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
WOOT WOOT!!!

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #111
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
3 days to 3 weeks

WOW a very broad bagel and coffee range!

Thanks to the kind offer from CTScott I will drive up to get some expert help with the install- so rest easy everyone- the install will be in good hands with CTScott providing the brains of this operation.

Imagine - I'll be dreaming tonight of having the only Yaris in the western hemisphere (1/2 of the globe!) with a digital cluster- a sweet dream indeed.

BTW- the off road vehicle in my photo shows myself and the wife on vacation in Thailand - if anyone wondered- my Yaris accelerates a bit faster than the elephant did but the elephant had much bigger gas tank and a way larger trunk.

Last edited by Lewis; 10-07-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #112
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
3 days to 3 weeks

WOW a very broad bagel and coffee range!

Thanks to the kind offer from CTScott I will drive up to get some expert help with the install- so rest easy everyone- the install will be in good hands with CTScott providing the brains of this operation.

Imagine - I'll be dreaming tonight of having the only Yaris in the western hemisphere (1/2 of the globe!) with a digital cluster- a sweet dream indeed.

BTW- the off road vehicle in my photo shows myself and the wife on vacation in Thailand - if anyone wondered- my Yaris accelerates a bit faster than the elephant did but the elephant had much bigger gas tank and a way larger trunk.
I have one question for you Lewis....and I didnt read through the previous posts or prior threads leading to this, so pound my stupidity if you'd like (anyone?)

How are you going to deal w/ the kilometers on the digital cluster? Are there tools to adjust the mileage on the cluster to that of the mileage on your car's engine in the U.S.?
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #113
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
I have one question for you Lewis....and I didnt read through the previous posts or prior threads leading to this, so pound my stupidity if you'd like (anyone?)

How are you going to deal w/ the kilometers on the digital cluster? Are there tools to adjust the mileage on the cluster to that of the mileage on your car's engine in the U.S.?
Oooh I can answer this one. There is a way to switch the unit from Km/h to Mp/h. It's in the back of the unit, all you need to do is take the cover off and switch, It's kinda like using a jumper on a master HDD or slave HDD, you just move the jumper to signify which one you want it to do.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #114
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Hi Kioshi,

Maddog took care of your query regarding kph versus mph.

But also the odometer can (should) be reset to reflect the actual miles on the car.

You must however go to the dealer since the only known way to do it is via the Techstream system which is uneconomic for anyone but Toyota dealers to have. Several people have tried different "homemade" techniques to do it without the dealer to no avail when they upgraded to the USA "s" cluster with a tach. My dealer already has done a mod for me via Techstream for free when they turned off the chime for the seatbelt warning so I am hoping for the same cooperation from the dealer with this mod (assuming it works).

Bottom line is I think you have to really want the Aussie digital cluster to go through the amount of expense and effort I will have expended to do the mod when all is said and done. I think it also helps if you enjoy the process- as I guess I must.

But in all honesty I think more than 1/2 of the trouble is the uncertainity of it all based on the fact that I don't know if it will be for naught until I plug it in.

At least I will save the rest of our readers that headache if the cluster arrives intact and working- as it will be qualified for many frequent flyer miles by the time it reaches New Jersey and the original eBay seller did not pack it with any padding for shipping to Maddog so damage is possible.

Readers have raised many issues- whether it would fit in the dash (it has an extra box attached to it), whether it would be tilted incorrectly (Aussie = right hand drive) and whether it is simply compatible with the electronics system in USA vehicles. Time will answer all these concerns for all of us if it reaches NJ in working order- so there was a good amount of risk associated with this effort.

But if it works- WOW! it will be special.

Lewis

Last edited by Lewis; 10-08-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #115
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Thanks for the prompt response MAD DOG, appreciate it.

I should have been more clear, I was referring to the odometer readings. I dont mind if its the cluster is in kilometers but I'd like the odometer to be converted to the correct kilometers from what my engine has (27,209 miles)....

My cluster is from Asia, just w/ a tach( it has roughly 6,100 kilometers on it). The dealer here wanted $280 plus labor fees (what labor fees LOL) for the S cluster USA, so i said F-that and got a Asian (kilometer) cluster for WAY cheaper...

Now when you said I have to go to the dealer to reset and reflect the mileage on my car, I fear that the assholes there won't do this for me.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #116
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response MAD DOG, appreciate it.

I should have been more clear, I was referring to the odometer readings. I dont mind if its the cluster is in kilometers but I'd like the odometer to be converted to the correct kilometers from what my engine has (27,209 miles)....

My cluster is from Asia, just w/ a tach( it has roughly 6,100 kilometers on it). The dealer here wanted $280 plus labor fees (what labor fees LOL) for the S cluster USA, so i said F-that and got a Asian (kilometer) cluster for WAY cheaper...

Now when you said I have to go to the dealer to reset and reflect the mileage on my car, I fear that the assholes there won't do this for me.

Maybe CTScott can do it for you if you ask him nicely. I dunno if he can, but you could always ask.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #117
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Maybe CTScott can do it for you if you ask him nicely. I dunno if he can, but you could always ask.
Not yet. I need a little intimate time with a techstream tool first. I'm saving my pennies for the $1500 Chinese clone. I just need to sniff the communication between the techstream tool and the cluster and I can create a device to do it. Then we can ship the device around like another Bambo!
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #118
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Kioshi- I find expectations have a lot to do with a positive interaction with my dealer. I approached my dealer with the attitude "sure they will do it" when I wanted them to shut down the seatbelt chime (which is done via techstream too) and sure enough the service department refused. LOL

So I wrote a letter to the general manager of the dealership - very polite- making the same request. He immediately told service to do it for free.

Even Toyota dealers in this economy need to treat their customers well. Dealers are going out of business left and right so as a consumer we need to be clear, consistant and polite but firm about our rights and at this point the buyers are king.

I am expecting the same treatment if the Aussie cluster works and I need the odo reset.

Lew
Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #119
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Lewis - Thank you for sharing your method. I had a positive attitude when going to Fremont Toyota Dealers when my intake kept throwing CELs, i wanted the reset done there because I had an oil change to do (so why not kill two birds w/ one stone), and they refused to do so...lol

Did you write the letter to the manager the same day, right after rejection?

I will have to resort to the letter, but I'd rather talk to the manager in person instead. I think dealers vary, and I hope the manager doesn't refuse after the letter/talk....
I'll pay for what it costs to do the reset, I dont mind.

When is your cluster arriving?

Could I get a copy of that letter you wrote? LOL
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #120
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

I wrote the letter the next day. I wrote the letter after being refused by both the service advisor and then the service manager so I just climbed the ladder of responsibility to the general manager of the dealership. Unfortunately I didn't save the letter but basically I told them that 1. I bought the car from them and expect better service, and 2. I quoted the Yaris World forum to show them I knew it could be done easily- that's why they agreed to do it for free.

In fairness it probably helped that the car was only two months old at the time. I do expect they'll do the odometer too though because I established the precedent with the seatbelt chime.

But with car sales so low now I think you can expect good service if they think you'll go elsewhere if dissatisfied for your next purchase IMO.

p.s. Maddog was told the shipment can take from 3 days to 3 weeks so stay tuned.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #121
puetato89

HURRY UP PACKAGE!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #122
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

I see. Were you polite to the service manager after refusal from the service adviser? I ask because I tend to get a bit feisty, especially if its a well over 10k priced item I own.

Unfortunately I didnt buy my Yaris from this Toyota dealership. The one i bought from originally, they cut my wires off from the switch that tells the transmission that your car is in reverse, so my reverse lights stopped working. I go to this dealership for honesty, mainly....

Should i tell them that or write in the letter that I'll be taking my business elsewhere as a local?

Sorry for asking, I'm trying to learn to be polite, even with refusal already stamped to my forehead

Keep in touch. My cluster wont be in my palms till a few days later..

PS: touchstream, now do I have to have the cluster installed (when the reset is being done) or does the connectors on the back of the cluster plug into this techstream w/o cluster intact to the car?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #123
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I see. Were you polite to the service manager after refusal from the service adviser? I ask because I tend to get a bit feisty, especially if its a well over 10k priced item I own.

Unfortunately I didnt buy my Yaris from this Toyota dealership. The one i bought from originally, they cut my wires off from the switch that tells the transmission that your car is in reverse, so my reverse lights stopped working. I go to this dealership for honesty, mainly....

Should i tell them that or write in the letter that I'll be taking my business elsewhere as a local?

Sorry for asking, I'm trying to learn to be polite, even with refusal already stamped to my forehead

Keep in touch. My cluster wont be in my palms till a few days later..

PS: touchstream, now do I have to have the cluster installed (when the reset is being done) or does the connectors on the back of the cluster plug into this techstream w/o cluster intact to the car?
The cluster has to be installed in the car for the update to be done.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #124
puetato89

:)

Old 10-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #125
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

The touchstream taps into the engine's mileage/ECU, correct? So....if i went ahead and installed and started driving for a few days and later went to dealers for a accurate reset to the miles already on car and the ones added after the initial miles said on the kilometer cluster, would it mess up or no?

Thanks for the answer CTScott :)

Last edited by Kioshi; 10-09-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #126
advocate

Drives: car
I'm also curious to as to what the effects of driving a car with a replaced tach that's out of sync to the car's actual mileage would be.

If you don't write the mileage down on the new cluster before driving then you'd have no idea how many miles are actually on the car!
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote