Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
bairjo

Front windshield juice sprayer

I had this issue with my 08 Yaris and the same thing with my 2010. I always spray my windshield when I leave work as it is a dusty area. About 20 miles later my drivers side gets a little spray as if it is a pressure relief. I just lived with it on my 08 as it wasn't something to concerning. However I thought it ironic that my new car does the same thing. Has anyone had this happen and was there a quick fix? No its not a big deal but kinda puts me on a mission to resolve since it is a repeat of my 08.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Nah, I never had that problem. Just leave it alone and just look at it as something unique
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
only thing i can think of is the fluid sits under the wiper blade and spits up when u get to speed. the spray system shouldnt hold any pressure when u let go of the spray switch.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
Nah, I never had that problem. Just leave it alone and just look at it as something unique
screw that! if u know 100% its coming out of the nozzle then go to toyota with it, its a 2010 and it could be an electrical issue to the pump
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
bairjo

Yep I will most likely take it back to the dealer but it is such a hassle. I don't buy into the look "the other way " mentality. Problem solving contributions big or small are the ones worth posting or reading. Just wondering if others had the same thing.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
yaris2010RS

are u sure its spitting out of the sprayer? and not just splashing onto the window? the passanger side is the first sprayer on the system so logic says it would squirt any extra pressure out of that one
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
bairjo

It is definitely the sprayer on the drivers side. The pressure would most likely reach its highest at the point of resistance first being the dead head at the end of the line and relief out the closest spray wouldn't it?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
yaris2010RS

does it happen even if ur stopped? or only when ur moving? could be a seal issue in the fluid bottle itself, maybe cap isnt on tight and excess air is getting in pushing fluid thru the system. how much does it spray? video of it? this seems interesting
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I know that excess fluid pools in the channel at the base of the windshield and after some time it tends to get flung up onto the windshield if I'm driving at highway speeds. Never had the actual nozzle give a squirt on its own though.

I've gotten into the habit of just hitting the wipers a few more times after I spray the window to let some of the excess splash up so I can wipe it away.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Fluid catches on the driver's wiper arm and blade. When i get past 60mph, the excess will fly onto the windshield. It's more noticeable in the winter since it doesn't evaporate as fast
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
does it happen even if ur stopped? or only when ur moving? could be a seal issue in the fluid bottle itself, maybe cap isnt on tight and excess air is getting in pushing fluid thru the system. how much does it spray? video of it? this seems interesting
It only does it when I driving down the freeway. A video is can be done but ill need a few days on that one. It will have to be posted on you tube. Ill post back when it gets done. It only sprays like you shot a squirt gun one time at the window. Regardless of the small volume its still there a could always develope into a bigger problem after the warranty runs out.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I have the same problem on my 2009 LB. I brought it to the dealer, and they told me it works just fine. I honestly think it has to do with the funky wind patterns over our wiper cowl. The passenger wiper looses tension at high speeds, and the drivers nozzle "dribbles". I've just been trying to deal with it. But when the roads are crap, full of slush and snow, I find myself re-spraying the windshield more than I should. I'm also curious if anyone else is having this problem.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
OP: It's not the sprayer it's the swimming pool sized puddle of watter that the front cowl catches (like most previous posts said) I have the exact same problem as do 99% of OCD Yaris drivers... Lol. It's a real pain in the a$$ when it's salty out (winter) take the video but aim the camera to the sprayer and you'll see that it doesn't come out of there ... It just takes alot of getting used to :-/ no fix that I know of
Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
Dirty windows again???? lol
Ummmm....no.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
big lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkndacn View Post
OP: It's not the sprayer it's the swimming pool sized puddle of watter that the front cowl catches (like most previous posts said) I have the exact same problem as do 99% of OCD Yaris drivers... Lol. It's a real pain in the a$$ when it's salty out (winter) take the video but aim the camera to the sprayer and you'll see that it doesn't come out of there ... It just takes alot of getting used to :-/ no fix that I know of
+1, that's why I said it should stay that way, bcuz most likely its not coming from the sprayer, oh a electric issue I don't think so, we will have to wait for this video to be sure thou,
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #16
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
Dirty windows again???? lol

I have had about a belly full of the weekly sarcasm from the tolerated trolls. You will no longer see my posts on this forum. In the future if I do any videos or pictures of repairs and modifiications I'll just put them up on Youtube and anyone can find them there.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #17
big lo

Come on dude don't take it to heart, everyone has their time to have there balls broken once in a while, I am one who wants to see this video, so just let it go dude BTW
Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #18
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I have had about a belly full of the weekly sarcasm from the tolerated trolls. You will no longer see my posts on this forum. In the future if I do any videos or pictures of repairs and modifiications I'll just put them up on Youtube and anyone can find them there.
Don't let the 'tards get under your skin.