Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #91
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
I painted the upper radio panel, but waiting to get help with taking apart the lower controls so I can paint the lower panel (as well as the knobs). Another question I have other than that help is, what color border do you think I should do (plastics around the middle). Car is flint mica, and the radio/control plastics are black. Was gonna do flint mica around it, but I almost feel like a different color than the exterior but something tht will look good coinciding with exterior flint mica.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #92
Lambpasty
Internet Superhero

Drives: '07 HB Black Sand Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
I painted the upper radio panel, but waiting to get help with taking apart the lower controls so I can paint the lower panel (as well as the knobs). Another question I have other than that help is, what color border do you think I should do (plastics around the middle). Car is flint mica, and the radio/control plastics are black. Was gonna do flint mica around it, but I almost feel like a different color than the exterior but something tht will look good coinciding with exterior flint mica.
If you look on the back of the panel that holds the knobs there are small tabs on the side of the knob harnesses that you need to pop out. Be careful though they snap easily (yes speaking from experience ). Theres also a small clip next to the fan speed knob that holds the wiring to the faceplate, that one I had to pry off with a flathead screwdriver.

As for the color you could go with a gunmetal blue or something simiar, that might look cool with the mica color IMO.
Lambpasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #93
Pitt Yaris

Thanks, that's what I thought. I tried taking the harness' out and they are in there pretty good. Then speaking of those clips that are on the sides of the plastic, I tried takin those off too and they're on there pretty darn good.
I got satin black hoping to match a little bit of the dash but it's so so much darker than the rest of the dash :(. Will post pics if I can get the bottom plastic out.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #94
Lambpasty
Internet Superhero

I just finished paining mine about an hour ago, letting it dry for a couple more hours before putting it back in:

It's actually a little darker than it looks in the picture, came out pretty good though I think for a first-time mod
Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #95
Pitt Yaris

Pretty much done......not sure if I like the black, lol. I might end up using paint thinner and going back to the silver :/

Last edited by Pitt Yaris; 04-05-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #96
Lambpasty
Internet Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
Pretty much done......not sure if I like the black, lol. I might end up using paint thinner and going back to the silver :/
I almost went with black for mine instead of blue, but changed my mind at the last second thinking that it really wasn't much of a change to the gray/charcoal/black color scheme already in the car anyways.

Just reinstalled my trim:

Definitely makes the dash pop now. I think I might take the white vent pieces out and paint them black along with the side trim pieces (hazard lights and passenger lights). Should look really cool once I get all my LEDs installed where I want them. Thanks for this DIY, that was fun and way easier than I'd expected
Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #97
Pitt Yaris

I used satin black thinking it would be a little duller, but it makes the rest of the dash look gray/that much duller. I like the black, but I don't like the way it makes the rest of the dash look. I'm definitely keeping my knobs black if I do end up changing the color of the panels though. It's gonna take a while for them to try so I'll post pics and get suggestions after.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #98
Pitt Yaris

This is ultimately what I was/am going for.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #99
Pitt Yaris

It was getting dark outside by the time I got it all put back together, but here it is. I will post another when I get a pic of it during the day. Any more suggestions for the border? That red looks good on the gt, but I want something that won't look odd with exterior flint mica.

Daytime shots....

Last edited by Pitt Yaris; 04-06-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 AM   #100
Pitt Yaris

Any thoughts on any of these colors to border the black/radio plastics? Possible to photoshop? Colors are on the bottom of the web pages....
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusio...mmered_finish/
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusio...tured_shimmer/
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/ (only satin colors)
Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #101
westyork20
I've made a post!

Drives: red
newbie here..

how would i prep the panels before i paint them? what kind of paint? clear coat? sorry for all the questions i just don't want the paint flaking a year from now..
westyork20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #102
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
I am actually working on a nice interior paint Job to mtch the racing seats and harness I'm getting I'll post pic of the peices that I did so far.

Depends on how your gonna paint em. If your just repainting use a 380 grit sandpaper from 3m and just sand it up and down to scuff em up a bit (Usually till the plastic is dull and not shiny anymore). use a layer of plastic adhesion promotor. then primer. paint. clear. buff, wax. BAM! show quality interiors

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #103
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
Here's my paint job with some extras. =)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00025-20090516-1503.jpg (140.1 KB, 742 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00034-20090519-1551.jpg (124.7 KB, 735 views)
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #104
jonr0613

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
where can i find the STEP by STEP DIY of painting the instrument panel from removing the dash trim...i saw it here before but i can find it anymore...i think it is for sedan...
jonr0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #105
A-tron

Drives: Black hb
Yo Nick.d that blue is spot on to the shift boot. +1 for you man
Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #106
MyYaris
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
What kind of paint did you use for the black, I like that look.
MyYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #107
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
looks great. I did mine in blue a while back. I'd do the top part but i use that as shelf for my walley and phone too much
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #108
Pwr_Dori
13 yr car freak

Drives: 09 toyota yaris Yrs
That look Damn hot
Pwr_Dori is offline   Reply With Quote