Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
Jvt

Drives: Yaris TS 2001
Best way to plug in audio jack ?

Hi.

I have a Yaris TS from 2001. I bought it 3 months ago, it is my first car, and I really like it! :)

What I like a bit less is the old cassette/audio-cd system. I'm planning to install a car computer, using a Raspberry Pi that I just bought, and a touch screen. Maybe I'll add a reverse camera, a GPS module, a USB Wifi adapter, ... So it will cost me some money, but I want to do it for the DIY fun.

I'm kind of good with computers, but not so much with cars... The first big problem that I can see is for the audio connection. I have two options to get sound from the computer :
  • A 3.5mm audio jack port.
  • An HDMI port, that will be used to connect to the screen, but from which I could also get the audio, using a device like this one.
Now I have no idea how to plug it to my car speakers, and that's why I thought you could help me. What are the options, and what are their advantages/disadvantages ?

Here is a picture of the center console, if it can help.

Thanks.
Jvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #2
Jvt

Drives: Yaris TS 2001
No answer ?

By the way, what I'd like to do (if it's possible) is to remove all this part in the bottom, and put my 7" screen there instead :

About the audio problem, I found two possible ways to do what I want :
  • Using a cassette adapter. Apparently these things work better than what I'd expect. But it means I'd have to keep the cassette player. Maybe I can try to hide it somewhere. At least I can remove the CD player, right ?
  • Using this thing. But how does it work ? Can I get rid of all the bottom part of the console if I use this ?
I'll buy the cassette adapter anyway for now, it's cheap. But I hope I can find a better solution.

So, another problem is that I'm going to need power for all these things (computer, screen, ...), and again, I know almost nothing about it. I wouldn't dare to ask you exactly how to wire each thing, but could you please provide me some basic understandable documentation about how to wire things to the car battery ?

Thanks.
Jvt is offline   Reply With Quote