Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Chocobo87

Drives: 2012 Blazing Blue Yaris(Auto)
Going up hills :(

I went to Vegas this weekend and was thinking to myself what could I do to my car to make it gas efficient while having enough power to go up hill, but the only thing I could think of is a super charger.

I averaged 36 MPG going to Vegas while gunning it up hill and cruising around 80 MPH. The up hills kills it because it is only a 4 speed and it will drop a gear to match the climb.

Would headers be enough? Maybe a cone air filter? Suggestions! :D

I kind of want to stay away from exhausts because I don't want to worry about smog after the 6 years have passed. :(
Chocobo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
The 80MPH is not helping either.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
beebosaur

Drives: 2011 Super White 5 door hatch
you're upset about 36 mpg? that sounds about right. i got 34 on my drive to vegas a couple months ago. but the 80mph definitely isn't helping. i cruise freeway at about 70 and average 32/33 on a weekly basis. that's with mixed driving too btw.
beebosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'd happily take 36 mpg and never look back.

My lifetime average is currently 30.93 mpg. Personal best was 38.52 and worst was 24.24 mpg. That just goes to show how much this little engine can be affected by weather, load, driving habits and conditions.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobo87 View Post
I went to Vegas this weekend and was thinking to myself what could I do to my car to make it gas efficient while having enough power to go up hill, but the only thing I could think of is a super charger.

I averaged 36 MPG going to Vegas while gunning it up hill and cruising around 80 MPH. The up hills kills it because it is only a 4 speed and it will drop a gear to match the climb.

Would headers be enough? Maybe a cone air filter? Suggestions! :D

I kind of want to stay away from exhausts because I don't want to worry about smog after the 6 years have passed. :(
Try a cone air filter, I recommend a K&N. When I drive up to victorville I do about 85-95mph up that hill..
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
strip out everything you don't use. turbo would be more efficient than a supercharger, especially if you get a small one and keep it low boost. But really try lighter everything and bolt ons.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Chocobo87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Yaris View Post
Try a cone air filter, I recommend a K&N. When I drive up to victorville I do about 85-95mph up that hill..
Nice! I searched which ones there are and they have dual ones and flat cones ovals. I am confused which one to get.

Could you link me a good one? Will previous models work for the 2012?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I'd happily take 36 mpg and never look back.

My lifetime average is currently 30.93 mpg. Personal best was 38.52 and worst was 24.24 mpg. That just goes to show how much this little engine can be affected by weather, load, driving habits and conditions.
That's just about what I get with my corolla, I'd expect a bit more from a yaris.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Chocobo87

Would lowering my car get better gas mileage too?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Plastic Dipsticks might work
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
What you really need to be doing is calculating expenses to perform modifications to get better FE during those type of conditions to see when you would see the return and then start saving money. The 80mph is of course going to make a huge difference over going a lesser speed. I am like you however and have been happy getting 34/35mpg at 80/85mph.

A turbo COULD possibly net you mpg gains with low boost however the cost for a tuned installation will be at minimum 3k roughly and that is with you performing the installation. You would also want to tune it for 87 octane to save you some green and you wouldn't lose much HP/torque if tuned properly. Getting tuned properly requires going to a reputable shop which is going to cost you anywhere between 500-1k unless you have a great hook-up. So if you factor that in you would have to perform a true cost analysis and frankly I would figure that you would be making a lot of those trips to "pay off" the turbo installation.

I am neither suggesting nor disputing a turbo or S/C install, just making you aware of things to think about. I can tell you that lowering the car for me didn't seem to make a difference in mpg for the most part with exception to windy trips since the car doesn't get thrown around and easy and therefore probably doesn't work as hard. Having my AFE netted me it seemed about 2/3mpg increase, but then again that is with very conservative driving which in all honesty once you make a "performance" modification you don't tend to drive conservatively very often. You have to be pretty disciplined.

Not sure if my info helps or hinders...you decide.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Chocobo87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
What you really need to be doing is calculating expenses to perform modifications to get better FE during those type of conditions to see when you would see the return and then start saving money. The 80mph is of course going to make a huge difference over going a lesser speed. I am like you however and have been happy getting 34/35mpg at 80/85mph.

A turbo COULD possibly net you mpg gains with low boost however the cost for a tuned installation will be at minimum 3k roughly and that is with you performing the installation. You would also want to tune it for 87 octane to save you some green and you wouldn't lose much HP/torque if tuned properly. Getting tuned properly requires going to a reputable shop which is going to cost you anywhere between 500-1k unless you have a great hook-up. So if you factor that in you would have to perform a true cost analysis and frankly I would figure that you would be making a lot of those trips to "pay off" the turbo installation.

I am neither suggesting nor disputing a turbo or S/C install, just making you aware of things to think about. I can tell you that lowering the car for me didn't seem to make a difference in mpg for the most part with exception to windy trips since the car doesn't get thrown around and easy and therefore probably doesn't work as hard. Having my AFE netted me it seemed about 2/3mpg increase, but then again that is with very conservative driving which in all honesty once you make a "performance" modification you don't tend to drive conservatively very often. You have to be pretty disciplined.

Not sure if my info helps or hinders...you decide.
Yeah I like the idea of just getting the air filter cone, but I don't know if that will make a big difference :(
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobo87 View Post
Yeah I like the idea of just getting the air filter cone, but I don't know if that will make a big difference :(
Most likely not, but that is just MHO.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
That's just about what I get with my corolla, I'd expect a bit more from a yaris.
The Corolla probably revs lower on the highway. And the Yaris pushes you to drive faster, not the Corolla.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
the Yaris pushes you to drive faster, not the Corolla.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the corolla actually use to be rated higher on the highway than the Yaris.

Just a filter won't help gas mileage, an entire intake, such as the aFe one, does seem to.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
And the Yaris pushes you to drive faster, not the Corolla.
How so? I'm curious.

I wish we could get the 1.4L diesel or the 1.0 gas engines.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Saving 2 mpg on a trip to Vegas for the Yaris is about $5.