Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
Stinky Yaris !

Any ides of something I can use to deodorize the interior of my Yaris?
I have tried an air freshener, but that just makes it worse. I think the previous owner was a smoker, and I also think that the dealership, when they cleaned the inside, left the carpet wet too long after the Shampoo, so there is a funky, smoky, musty smell. I tried to spray the carpet and seats with some Lysol deodorizer, but it didn't seem to work too well. I was going to try to shampoo the seats and carpet with a carpet cleaner, but I don't want to use something that will not be good for my seat material, or be too strong, as I am sensitve to chemical smells. Anybody have an luck with a certain kind of product?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Go to Bed Bath and Beyond - pick up a bottle of Zero Odor. Spray it inside the car, wait till it dries then sprinkle the entire interior with baking soda, let it sit (overnight at least)then vacuum it all up.

Alternatively, fill a bowl with vinegar drop a rag/washcloth in it, stick it in your car. Deal with the vinegar smell for a day or two then remove it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
i have found putting raw coffee in a open container will take the smell out very nicely i have seen that done on tv for motorhomes that smell inside . worth a try i use it in a eclosed trailer when i haul full gas cans inside . it really works for me good luck
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
skaris

Drives: 2011 Yaris S 3-dr Abs Red
Go to a pet store and get an enzyme based cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. You spray it on the interior and let it evaporate up. The enzymes will eat all of the organic matter that causes the odor as it evaporates (just make sure you get it good and wet). These cleaners are designed for pet urine and poop stains/smells...so they work pretty good!

Check out these websites:
www.tweakedsports.com
www.doctorisotope.com
skaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
Wow, I hadn't heard of any of those.. I'm glad I asked.
Much obliged.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
This is why I bought a Bissel Green Machine. Back when I had a dog it worked great, but now with smelly relatives and taking garbage to the dump in my truck it works even better. I will agree that pet stores are some of the best places to get good deodorizers!
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
EasyDriver

Drives: 2008 Yaris Meteorite LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris prime View Post
Any ides of something I can use to deodorize the interior of my Yaris?
I have tried an air freshener, but that just makes it worse. I think the previous owner was a smoker, and I also think that the dealership, when they cleaned the inside, left the carpet wet too long after the Shampoo, so there is a funky, smoky, musty smell. I tried to spray the carpet and seats with some Lysol deodorizer, but it didn't seem to work too well. I was going to try to shampoo the seats and carpet with a carpet cleaner, but I don't want to use something that will not be good for my seat material, or be too strong, as I am sensitve to chemical smells. Anybody have an luck with a certain kind of product?
Spray Fabreze on the seats and floor carpet, then leave the window open a couple of days!
EasyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
SuperFunBall

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue 3dr LB MT
There is a spray called Ozium, Wally World and auto stores carry it. My wife used it on the company vehicle that a co worker smoked in. Just one spray will take out any smell. For your ride though I would spray down all the fabrics and into the air vents while running your max ac. Just make sure once you do this to exit the car immediately because this is some stong stuff that works.

Sometimes you have to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and start slashing throats
SuperFunBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i've heard puttin a bowl of activated carbon and water in the car can help.. as the water evaporates the carbon sucks the smells into itself

you could try just dry carbon too.. it might help
Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Try running a household dehumidifier in the car overnight, with everything closed up. Manually turn off the interior lights, then Let the power cord (or extension cord) hang out of the back edge of the door and gently push the door until it clicks (not fully closed though).

You'd be amazed how much as to how much water is in the condensate pan the next morning, and how much of the smell is gone.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Two I remember:

(1) Have a bowl with crumbled charcoal slightly dampened and leave in the back floor mat for a day. Reason: it'll absorb the smell.

(2) Have 1/4 of hot water and 3/4 of white vinegar mixed in bowl and place it in the back floor mat overnight. Reason: white vinegar rocks at making whites whiter, blacks blackers, and getting almost ANY smell out of fabric. The water needs to be hot so that the steam will travel throughout the car carrying the vinegar.

The white vinegar method works well. I accidently left a bag of pork dumplings under my passenger seat for a week. This is the reason why I stick to NO food in my car unless it is carry out from the restaurant to the house.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
I accidently left a bag of pork dumplings under my passenger seat for a week.
Somehow, even before I looked at your name I knew you were from Texas..
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
Take 4 paper plates and place one on each floor board area. Sprinkle baking soda on each plate. Let it sit over night. Dump baking soda into a trash bag the next morning and discard. Repeat several days and the odor will be reduced and disapepar.

Long term you have to find the source of the odor and eliminate it. Then you have to do something to absorb the odor. Baking soda works and it's cheap. Activated charcoal is best, but not as cheap. Good luck.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote