Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
rickc
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
test driving 07 yaris on Sun, quick questions

Hi Yall, I know it's not good etiquette to ask questions without reading every single post in a forum to see if it's answered but i just dont have time. If anyone can answer these ez questions i would appreciate it!

I drive 40,000km a year and need to upgrade my 2002 focus which just hit 200,000 kms and is falling apart (air cond just broke latest issue). so i'm looking at a 2007 yaris as a replacement.

1. Is it comfortable for long trips? if no can it be easily made more comfy? i already found a center armrest on ebay so im more concerned about the seat - i'm 5'10 and 200 lbs.

2. is it fairly easy to add aftermarket cruise control? this one is a manual 5 spd so i am aware of the safety issues involved.

3. i've read the body roll is considerable when cornering this car - any suspension upgrades/mods ppl have had good results with?

thanks!
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Hey ... I am from Edmonton, so nice to see you are from Alberta.

Re your questions. I have driven the Yaris for about 4000 km so far (just got my 2007 Yaris back in May). I am totally happy with the comfort as far as the front seats are concerned. The back seats are another story. They were very uncomfortable as I think that the headrests were in need of some removal or adjustment. I don't normally sit in the back seats .. so I haven't investigated the back seats further.

I am also about 5'10" and 200 lb .. and if you are the driver or passenger you are going to be just fine. No comfort problems other than what I have mentioned. (and that could be my fault .. as I don't know how to adjust the rear headrests.)

There is a thread here (see below) on adding aftermarket cruise. However I find that I can get better mileage doing it myself. But if you feel you really want cruise .. it can be done. Check out this thread .. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=cruise

Re body roll ... I have not found this to be an issue, but I have seen that lots of people seem to want to add some suspension parts. I'm sure someone will comment on this part of the Yaris, as this seems to be a popular mod.

Hope your test drive goes well ..
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
It's comfortable enough on long trips. Just the noise you might want to get use

to. It is good around the twisty bits.It struggles a bit up hill with the A/C on.

Apart from that.It does the job.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
body roll is an issue, but a rear sway bar will take care of the majority of it
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Rode in one from NC to Daytona for bike week. Would say the owner averaged 75-80 all the way. Had no problems with comfort. Mine is a 07 and I would take it anywhere. Check my garage for mods. Love the car and laugh at the dealer everytime I go in for my free cup of coffee.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
It's comfortable enough on long trips. Just the noise you might want to get use

to. It is good around the twisty bits.It struggles a bit up hill with the A/C on.

Apart from that.It does the job.
I've never had problems up hill with a/c. Then again, I'm an incredibly slow driver and have no problem taking curvy hills in 2nd. Pulls on-ramps fine.

OP, they are fine cars but nothing special. Very cheap to own which is my biggest reason for owning one. Usually I have a project set up every winter to fix something substantial on my old car. Looking forward to a trouble free winter with my yaris.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by harda toenail View Post
I've never had problems up hill with a/c. Then again, I'm an incredibly slow driver and have no problem taking curvy hills in 2nd. Pulls on-ramps fine.

OP, they are fine cars but nothing special. Very cheap to own which is my biggest reason for owning one. Usually I have a project set up every winter to fix something substantial on my old car. Looking forward to a trouble free winter with my yaris.
I would agree.They yaris isn't anything special.What's special about it is how it's just good, I mean it's reliable and just does the job, but not spectacularly.I use to love how it handled when brand new.Gee it was a fun to throw around.
But I'm just happy to use it as an every day car.

BTW...What kind of classics do you have in the garage? I have 74 super beetle project.Which I might sell..
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Having recently purchased an 07 hatch myself, I would urge you to find an 09 instead. All kinds of goodies kicking in that model year, like multiple airbags and ABS. The base 07 Yaris is INCREDIBLY base.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
my2sense

Drives: 2007 Red 5dr RS
I just drove from Vancouver to Calgary in my 2007 RS 4dr and found it to be very comfortable. I have Tokico blues, M2 springs, 23mm rear torsion bar, and front strut bar and thought that they would make for a harsh ride but glad I was wrong. Handling was great too with these parts.

I know that the non-RS have different seats so I'm not sure if it would be as comfortable if you're looking at a non-RS Yaris.
my2sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
I just drove from Vancouver to Calgary in my 2007 RS 4dr and found it to be very comfortable. I have Tokico blues, M2 springs, 23mm rear torsion bar, and front strut bar and thought that they would make for a harsh ride but glad I was wrong. Handling was great too with these parts.

I know that the non-RS have different seats so I'm not sure if it would be as comfortable if you're looking at a non-RS Yaris.
Sigh. I wish Toyota had seen to it that the RS = U.S. availability.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Sigh. I wish Toyota had seen to it that the RS = U.S. availability.
Does this mean that there are no RS models in the US ?? If that is true . . this is something I didn't know. I have a 2007 RS 3 DR, and I love it as I have all the good features. (Love the power locks and power windows) The only thing that I wish my Yaris had was the immobilizer. Oh well .. can't have everything.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Does this mean that there are no RS models in the US ??
nope, the best thing we've got here is the se: http://www.toyota.com/yaris/trims-prices.html
b20vteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
edmscan

I don't know what all the RS has, all I know is that my car has pretty much everything that I want in a car. I really don't care much for some things like bluetooth, usb and cruise control (even though I have cruise control .. I just don't like using it as I feel that it gives me less control over the car).
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
my2sense

Drives: 2007 Red 5dr RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I don't know what all the RS has, all I know is that my car has pretty much everything that I want in a car.
The three drive-related advantages of the RS trim for me are:
1) Firmer, more supportive bucket seats
2) Thicker leather wrapped steering wheel
3) 15" alloy wheels instead of the standard 14" steelies

OP: So what happened? How did the test drive go?
my2sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
OP looks like another register, make a post, then vanish forever type of guy.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
probably decided on another car
b20vteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
junorico24

Quote:
The three drive-related advantages of the RS trim for me are:
1) Firmer, more supportive bucket seats
2) Thicker leather wrapped steering wheel
3) 15" alloy wheels instead of the standard 14" steelies

Ah i have these..It's called YRS in Australia. The higher model has a body kit.

It's nearly 5 years old and still going strong, yo!!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
This ^^^^^
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote