Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Turbo system

I happned to run across this site which has Yaris turbo systems and I thought I'd share.

http://www.whyindustries.com/store/i...th=23_90_32_37

Anyone ever seen this?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i posted a pic of that red sedan in a thread somewhere.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Nice Find... But $3,299.00... F_THAT... 2,500 maybe

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
nice find, nothing on engine management though?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
That seems to be this engines biggest problem with gaining hp. From what everyone say the ecu is pretty smart and hard to crack.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
In the past few months, I have been to a few speed shops with my car. At each one I have mentioned that I wanted to turbo or supercharge my car. At each one, other cars were in the shop which had received custom forced induction systems... I've seen RX-8's, Civics, 5.0's, DSM's, Chargers, Darts, Datsuns, you name it. At every shop I have been to, I was told that a custom setup could be built for my car.

You immediately think that a custom job will automatically be more expensive, but this often isn't the case for a couple of reasons.

1) Shops that specialize in high performance modifications often get prices on forced induction accessories that would make your head explode.
2) Since there are few kits on the market for the Yaris, you can often try and weasel out a deal with the shop that leaves you paying less for the kit and leaves them introducing your new custom kit for retail sale.

Also, these guys take pride in what they do. They want your car to perform and be reliable just as bad as you do. With their system, your car carries their name, and there is nothing that brings a garage down to hell faster than blowing up a car.

A speed shop will often take a more wholistic approach to forcing induction. When I was talking to Don Yuse at the Race Car Factory about a supercharged Yaris, the first thing he said was "I'll want to take your engine apart." I mean, is your internet-purchased turbo kit going to look at your piston rods and make sure they're strong enough to handle the 8-10 (or more) pounds of boost you're about to bolt on? I don't think so.

Something to think about...

Oh, and about the ECU thing, it isn't hard to crack persay. You just need a piggyback system in these cars... ie: GReddy's E-manage. They go for $300-500 or so depending on what you get, but they work wonders. It would be a good investment for a Yaris that might be making 15-20% more power than stock. It would be an absolutely necessary investment for a yaris that is sprayed/tc/sc.

The GReddy E-manage Ultimate is out now, so the original E-manage should plummet in price.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 01-05-2007 at 01:30 PM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
i'm hoping to turbocharge at some point in the (distant i.e. off-warranty) future... and i fully believe you'd have to upgrade the pistons and rods to handle the boost. these engines run a 10.5:1 compression... way too high for boosting safely! i'm thinking a set of forged, lower-compression (8.5?) pistons and forged rods for the future.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by influx View Post
i'm hoping to turbocharge at some point in the (distant i.e. off-warranty) future... and i fully believe you'd have to upgrade the pistons and rods to handle the boost. these engines run a 10.5:1 compression... way too high for boosting safely! i'm thinking a set of forged, lower-compression (8.5?) pistons and forged rods for the future.
ZPI has some low compression pistons made for that use :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
ya, they say they do: 8.5 comp pistons, but still no pics. they also don't have a spectacular reputation on scionlife. i believe there's a user on here who had forged pistons made... DTMYaris or something like that.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by influx View Post
ya, they say they do: 8.5 comp pistons, but still no pics. they also don't have a spectacular reputation on scionlife. i believe there's a user on here who had forged pistons made... DTMYaris or something like that.
I have a kit comming out in a couple of weeks. EMS and all.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #11
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Oh, and about the ECU thing, it isn't hard to crack persay.
It is not as easy as you think.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:10 AM   #12
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_Yaris View Post
It is not as easy as you think.
I don't think he meant crack the actual ecu. I think he means its not hard to adapt a piggyback with the ecu. The e-manage is pretty sweet since it has an internal map sensor and the ability to drive extra injectors or allow the use of larger injectors while maintaining off boost a/f mix.

Any turbo kit you go with is going to be a low boost application since the engine has pretty high compression.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
I don't think he meant crack the actual ecu. I think he means its not hard to adapt a piggyback with the ecu. The e-manage is pretty sweet since it has an internal map sensor and the ability to drive extra injectors or allow the use of larger injectors while maintaining off boost a/f mix.

Any turbo kit you go with is going to be a low boost application since the engine has pretty high compression.
The adaptive learning strategy in the Yaris ecu is very rough to over come with even 8 psi.
Trust me I'm working on it as we speak. Its nice to get a few WOT runs clean, but never consistant. It takes alot of time to tune this particular ecu. At least to a point where it WILL be consistant.
I've tried a new approach lately that seems to be working much better.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
acrbill

Quote:
The adaptive learning strategy in the Yaris ecu is very rough to over come with even 8 psi.
Trust me I'm working on it as we speak. Its nice to get a few WOT runs clean, but never consistant. It takes alot of time to tune this particular ecu. At least to a point where it WILL be consistant.
I've tried a new approach lately that seems to be working much better.
Put the MAF sensor on the inlet side of the turbo. Let the piggyback do all the work. Theh stock ecu shouldn't even realize that the car is no longer stock.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Put the MAF sensor on the inlet side of the turbo. Let the piggyback do all the work. Theh stock ecu shouldn't even realize that the car is no longer stock.
The maf sensor is able to output over 8 volts. Thats not the problem. The problem is the voltage the ecu sees!
If it sees over 2.8 volts at "x" rpm and throttle position it will go crazy. Trust me I have done it.
But I am working around this, meaning the stock ecu will never know that it is force fed.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
acrbill

Quote:
The maf sensor is able to output over 8 volts. Thats not the problem. The problem is the voltage the ecu sees!
If it sees over 2.8 volts at "x" rpm and throttle position it will go crazy. Trust me I have done it.
But I am working around this, meaning the stock ecu will never know that it is force fed.
If the MAF sensor is on the inlet side of the turbo Its not going to have compressed air going through it so the reading of the air going into the turbo will be accurate when your not in boost. Maybe once your in boost the turbo is sucking in more air there might be an issue, but all you would need would be a voltage clamp. Thats strange that it reads 8 volts. I would have assumed that it was 5v like a MAP sensor.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
If the MAF sensor is on the inlet side of the turbo Its not going to have compressed air going through it so the reading of the air going into the turbo will be accurate when your not in boost. Maybe once your in boost the turbo is sucking in more air there might be an issue, but all you would need would be a voltage clamp. Thats strange that it reads 8 volts. I would have assumed that it was 5v like a MAP sensor.
Whether the MAF is on the inducer or discharge side of the equation makes little difference for drivability. Closed loop operation was and is fine. My posts have been strictly about boost and open loop mode. The voltage clamp will not help when you are in boost either. The computer takes into account Airtemp, throttle position (or anticipated position for DBW), coolant temp, rpm and crank position.
It is not like the old days when we could just play the analog game. It has checks and balances in the algorithms.
It is very difficult to overcome.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
details? :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote