Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
4-channel amp suggestions

I'm looking for a good 4-channel amp.

Plan so far is to run some beefy components up front (around 100 watts RMS at 4-ohms), and bridge the other 2 channels into some subwoofer (around 300 watts RMS at 4-ohms OR around 600 watts RMS at 2-ohms).

I just want something powerful enough to meet those needs. What are you guys liking out there?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
there are millions of amps... made by a handful of build houses.. most are the same with different heatsinks/casings.

1st thing I look for is if the company is a liarpants or not. to do this...
Find the total fuse rating (how many amps worth in fuses does it have)
multiply the fuse rating by its realistic efficiency. 55% (0.55) for an A/B amp, 75%(0.75) for a class T.
98% of 4 channel amps will be A/B.
Next you multiple by a real car voltage 13v, and you get your realistic rms output

So. Say we find a 4chan A/B amp with 30amps in fuses.

30 x 0.55 x 13
215watts total power.. that means... about 54watts per channel.

if you're at a store and what to know an easy way to do this without a calculator...
Change 0.55 to .5 (or 1/2)

the equations would then change to

30 x 0.5 x 13

but we can simplify it to

30 divided by 2, then multiplied by 13.
or
15 x 13 = 195 or... 49watts per channel... (2% off)

generally you'll get a better quality amp from a company that doesn't lie to your face about its abilities. If they state RMS is 100x4 and your math says it can only do 50x4... they prolly cut some corners somewhere else too.

As a side note... i'd be wary of amps that are decked out in chrome, or have been bling'd out in some fashion.

Often times, some of the better amps on the market, in terms of cost and quality are actually relatively unknown, or unrespected companies.

Zapco is one of the best quality amp produces, they have their amps made by the same company that makes arc audio and clarion amps. At one time Zapco, Arc, and Clarion all had an amp that was fairly similar. Zapco's was superior, no doubt about it,... and Arc's was next in line.. but as one EE once explained it to me... Clarion is like the base model. It is a decent amp, now, add 5% better parts to that and you get Arc, Add 10% better parts and you have the Zapco.

Now... in terms of amps usually everything is based off of what came before it, so its hard to just change 1 little thing"... but the concept remains... these amps used the same circuit boards... the designs were the same, they just changed some of the parts... i don't know if those parts were caps, coils, resistors, or what.

Those clarion amps were some of the best bang/buck deals at the time.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Much to think about now, thank you!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
there are millions of amps... made by a handful of build houses.. most are the same with different heatsinks/casings.

1st thing I look for is if the company is a liarpants or not. to do this...
Find the total fuse rating (how many amps worth in fuses does it have)
multiply the fuse rating by its realistic efficiency. 55% (0.55) for an A/B amp, 75%(0.75) for a class T.
98% of 4 channel amps will be A/B.
Next you multiple by a real car voltage 13v, and you get your realistic rms output

So. Say we find a 4chan A/B amp with 30amps in fuses.

30 x 0.55 x 13
215watts total power.. that means... about 54watts per channel.

if you're at a store and what to know an easy way to do this without a calculator...
Change 0.55 to .5 (or 1/2)

the equations would then change to

30 x 0.5 x 13

but we can simplify it to

30 divided by 2, then multiplied by 13.
or
15 x 13 = 195 or... 49watts per channel... (2% off)

generally you'll get a better quality amp from a company that doesn't lie to your face about its abilities. If they state RMS is 100x4 and your math says it can only do 50x4... they prolly cut some corners somewhere else too.

As a side note... i'd be wary of amps that are decked out in chrome, or have been bling'd out in some fashion.

Often times, some of the better amps on the market, in terms of cost and quality are actually relatively unknown, or unrespected companies.

Zapco is one of the best quality amp produces, they have their amps made by the same company that makes arc audio and clarion amps. At one time Zapco, Arc, and Clarion all had an amp that was fairly similar. Zapco's was superior, no doubt about it,... and Arc's was next in line.. but as one EE once explained it to me... Clarion is like the base model. It is a decent amp, now, add 5% better parts to that and you get Arc, Add 10% better parts and you have the Zapco.

Now... in terms of amps usually everything is based off of what came before it, so its hard to just change 1 little thing"... but the concept remains... these amps used the same circuit boards... the designs were the same, they just changed some of the parts... i don't know if those parts were caps, coils, resistors, or what.

Those clarion amps were some of the best bang/buck deals at the time.
seriously dude, you are like... the god of audio knowledge.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
seehuge

Drives: BMW 325i
Yay, a thread asking EXACTLY what I was about to ask. Are you leaving the rear speakers unconnected?

Please post up your setup when you are done, I am very interested in what you end up with.
Thanks!
seehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

I'm probably going to end up drilling them out and filling the rear quarters with foam or sound matting to kill the outside road noise. I don't see a point in having rear speakers if I have such a nice set up front.

This is deffinetely future plans, but will do. I'll take some pics and such.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku87 View Post
seriously dude, you are like... the god of audio knowledge.
far from it.... and I used to know a lot more... back bout 4 years ago. When you stop doing projects, then leave the country, and then do 1 project a year... you forget a lot of the little cool tid bits of knowledge.