Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Does backing up adjust the rear brakes?

I've heard it said that applying the brakes while backing up will adjust the rear shoes. Can anybody confirm or deny that? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Auto adjust rear drum brakes if given a nice long straight away in which to back up and you can get speed up, you can hit your brakes and they'll slowly auto-adjust to where they need to be (may take several attempts). Otherwise you need to do it via hand/manual adjustment until the drum cover is just barely touching the inner steel band.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
bronsin

This morning I backed up about 100 yards three times going about 15 miles an hour and applied the brakes. Was that fast enough ?

I don't think in the course of normal driving I ever apply the brakes very hard while backing up or going very fast while backing up.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
It's never really self adjusted for me, even when driving back backward and applying the brakes firmly. My adjusters are all lubed up as well.

I just self adjust every 6 months when I tune up the brakes. The e brake will click more before engagement when the brakes need adjustint
Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The rear drum on the Yaris is crappy and doesn't seem to auto adjust as needed... AFAIK!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
It's never really self adjusted for me, even when driving back backward and applying the brakes firmly. My adjusters are all lubed up as well.

I just self adjust every 6 months when I tune up the brakes. The e brake will click more before engagement when the brakes need adjustint
Yeah the parking brake is plenty loose. Unfortunately I'm not physically able to manually adjust the brakes.

I can still change the oil though!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Automatic rear drum brake adjusters Yaris Mind of Toyota

I think it wouldn't adjust more than one starwheel tooth's movement around on each rear-driving firm brake application. I don't know the exact mechanism. Maybe it wants a forward braking between the back-ups...probably not. So try 20 or 40 times.
My socal 135 kmile 2007's brakes and everything else were completely dirt and corrosion free. The handbrake set way up and both sides took a lot of manual adjustment.
Maybe Toyota was careful to not make it work too well and get the rear brakes sticking? Or changed something in an ancient design without understanding enough about how the mechanism works?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #8
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I am not able to my the starwheel on the self-adjuster. On both sides. And it really seems some adjustment needs to be done - the drum is too loose.
What to do? Take the adjuster out, clean it up with detergent and apply brake lube into it?
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
My local Toyota dealer will clean and adjust the rear brakes for $20 and it's $20 well spent not having to fight with it.

That said, I don't think the Yaris has self adjusting rear brakes or if they did they don't actually work.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #10
bronsin

Ive been backing up and applying the brakes for about three days now and I believe I see an improvement It used to take quite a bit of force on the pedal to stop the car and the handbrake went all the way up without much effect. Now the effort to stop seems less and the handbrake seems to bite a little more. Not a lot in either case but there appears to be improvement.

Which might be an illusion but I ll keeo trying.....

If I ever bring the car to Toyota I ll ask about the $20 brake job...
Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
dogsridewith

"automatic brake adjuster" lever

Shop manual shows "automatic brake adjuster" lever as part of rear drum brake assembly.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
I am not able to my the starwheel on the self-adjuster. On both sides. And it really seems some adjustment needs to be done - the drum is too loose.
What to do? Take the adjuster out, clean it up with detergent and apply brake lube into it?
These are about $4.00 each at Rock Auto. However, I just took mine out and cleaned and lubed them like you are suggesting and they work fine.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 AM   #13
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Thanks 06YarisRS for the tip, the RockAuto actually seems as an interesting shop! Two adjusters plus shipping (I am from Czech Republic) and the total cost is 23 USD. If I buy them from Czech local shop then the pair would cost me 50 USD without any shipping! What a ripoff.
I have never heard of those brands though - Raybestos, Acdelco, Dorman... They are not available here in CZ but maybe they are OK? The only self-adjuster available here is HerthBuss Jakoparts.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
bronsin

I'm definitely finding the top travel of the parking brake firmer in the foot break more effective after several weeks of backing up maybe 50 yards and hitting the brakes every time I park. I've done it maybe 50 times and I'm seeing results!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I'm definitely finding the top travel of the parking brake firmer in the foot break more effective after several weeks of backing up maybe 50 yards and hitting the brakes every time I park. I've done it maybe 50 times and I'm seeing results!
wouldn't it just be a lot easier and faster to just pull the drums and turn the adjusters? It should only take you like 15min start to finish.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #16
dogsridewith

Automatic rear drum brake adjusters

But this effort answers an important question that many have pondered...do these Yaris automatic brake adjusters work at all?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #17
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
wouldn't it just be a lot easier and faster to just pull the drums and turn the adjusters? It should only take you like 15min start to finish.
Unfortunately I'm not physically able to jack the car up, remove the wheels, and remove the drums. Or that's what I would do! That's what happens when you get old!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #18
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
But this effort answers an important question that many have pondered...do these Yaris automatic brake adjusters work at all?
If I bought a new Yaris I would make backing up in applying the brakes a habit every time I drove the car. If you let the car go without doing that I wouldn't be surprised if the auto adjuster's fail to work.