Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
trx680

Drives: 2008 Yaris 4 door
Michelin Defender tires ?

I'm considering the michelin defender tires. I can get them locally for $423, not including labor and all.

I have a base model 07 yaris that is my go to work and grocery getter.

Anyone here care to comment on the defender on their Yaris?

Any cons to this tire?

IntelliSipe Technology™ Is a new advancement in tread engineering that provides exceptional tread block rigidity and interlocking action that optimizes the number of sipes within the tire. This technology allows the starting tread depth of the tire to be only 10/32nds of an inch, lightening the mass of the tire and increasing fuel efficiency, while providing enhanced safety.
MaxTouch Construction™ Is Michelin's proprietary technology featuring a unique contact-patch shape that evenly distributes the forces of acceleration, braking and cornering. This extends wear life and provides additional grip on the road. Michelin's proprietary MaxTouch Construction™ enables the tire to wear evenly, and a tire that wears evenly wears longer.
Stops up to 31 feet shorter than a leading competitor: Exceptional grip provided by IntelliSipe Technology™ maximizes the number of sipes within the tire, which allows you to brake confidently when you need to most for greater peace of mind in stressful driving situations.
Lasts up to 21,000 miles longer than a leading competitor: MaxTouch Construction combined with the interlocking action of Michelin's Breakthrough IntelliSipe™ technology delivers impressively long wear life by providing exceptional tread block rigidity while optimizing the tire's contact with the road during acceleration, braking and cornering.
Can save up to $250 in fuel @ $3.50 gallon: The interlocking action of IntelliSipes™ creates a more rigid tread block, which allows for a reduced starting tread depth leading to lower rolling resistance so you can save fuel without sacrificing safety or longevity.
trx680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
+1 I was also interested in these tires. Wondering how they run on our little Yaris' handling wise and mpg wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I have had a set for about 10,000 miles now. To be frank, I don't like them.

I bought them at Costco. I would have preferred the Bridgestones but at the time, Bridgestone was backordered or something so were unavailable but I needed new tires ASAP. I like Costco tire mounting service (6 or 7 sets on various cars so far and no problems) so I thought I would try the Defenders. After all they are Michelins...

Anyway, initially they had very little grip. Breaking traction everywhere and ABS kicking in often. Perhaps the slipperiness was due to left over mold release or maybe tires needed a few thousand miles to break in?

Because of the early slipperiness, I don't really trust them to push them hard in corners or ramps. Maybe I should try testing them in a large parking lot. However, they seem to be gripping okay in the dry, lately. I haven't been breaking traction lately. During the recent rains, I didn't have any issues such as loss of grip or hydroplaning. But I tend to drive conservatively (relative to when it is dry).

The only reason I brought up the Bridgestone tires is because I've never had the slipperiness experience with them and so I never really distrusted them either. The last set of tires prior to these Michelins were Bridgestones.

I haven't really checked my fuel mileage with them so I can't comment on that.

Oh, and one last thing, they are quiet on the freeway.

I hope this was of some help, however little...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
I have heard generally good things about the Defenders, albeit from hypermilers, so traction likely isn't an issue they have run into. They are commenting about decent tread life, pretty low noise, and decent fuel economy. Were my Echo in good enough shape to care about it, I might spend the money toget a set of Defenders myself...
Old 12-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Might want to consider the General Altimax RT 43 . These are under $70 each . We got our H-rated for $60 each with a $50 rebate . You may be capable of getting the T or H at Wal-Mart . A relative got the H from them . The H have deeper sipes than the T . For you the Ts' may be your choice due to warmer weather and less winter precipitation . Go to this thread for more info , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=49324&page=4 . There are many positive reviews of these at Tirerack and other tire sale sites . Let us know of your decision and how they're performing .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3704.JPG (141.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3705.JPG (231.6 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4109.JPG (216.8 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4103.JPG (257.2 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4125.JPG (213.4 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 12-06-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
I have had a set for about 10,000 miles now.... ...I haven't really checked my fuel mileage with them so I can't comment on that....
I just remembered, on a recent trip to Las Vegas (from LA), I did get a little better fuel mileage. It usually takes me 5 bars on the fuel gauge but this last trip with the new tires, I only went down 4 bars. I had the tires inflated to 31 or 32 PSI.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
These are what came with my 09. I bought my 09 roughly about 5 weeks ago.. They had 70% thread according to the Toyota dealership I bought my Yaris from. I drove through the first 2 snow storms we had 2 weeks ago, and didn't wait for a third one. On dry pavement they're pretty good. In rain I felt some hydroplaning once while on the highway doing about 110 km/h

Last edited by ebaut; 04-26-2015 at 08:18 PM.
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Might want to consider the General Altimax RT 43 . These are under $70 each . .
I second this. I haven't gotten mine yet as im trying to squeeze more life out of the crappy oem's. among the various forums, ive found quite a few small car owners who are very happy with the RT 43's. the low price is an added bonus.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
I have mine for about 7,000 miles and they are good. Not much experience with tires but these are a tiny bit louder than my re92s, offer a lot of hydroplaning protection, snow traction, reduce mpgs by 1 or 2, good grip. In general they sacrifice a bit of mpgs and a bit more road noise for good grip in the dry, damp, wet, and standing water while still providing all season winter performance
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Hershey

The 43s' are fairly quiet for now . Maybe they'll get louder as the the miles pile up . The Continental Pro Contact with Eco Plus did get louder over time and miles . I believe Continental and General are affiliated .
Old 12-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
Ben_

Defenders are a good choice if you want the best all season tire on the market with an 80k mile warranty. If you want to spend less money don't get them. My 2¢
Old 12-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Any Michelin is great. Defender is a good high mileage tire. Me, I have the Premier A/S, the newest tech that the sipes appear and get bigger as the tire ages so as to displace just as much water old as it does new.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Had my Defenders two years and 25k miles with no issues. I like them just fine, and will buy again.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:04 AM   #14
paulge3

Drives: '11 Yaris
You can't go wrong with Michelin. I also have the Premier A/S and their grip is superb.
paulge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
theb

Drives: yaris
I'm considering the michelin defender on my 4dr hatch '07 too from Costco. I'm also considering alloy wheels from Costco but not sure which one to get because the sizes are a bit confusing. I'm not looking for anything sporty or special, just to change old steel wheels and old tires with something new.
theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #16
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by theb View Post
I'm considering the michelin defender on my 4dr hatch '07 too from Costco. I'm also considering alloy wheels from Costco but not sure which one to get because the sizes are a bit confusing. I'm not looking for anything sporty or special, just to change old steel wheels and old tires with something new.
I'm just about 2k miles into a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3's from Costco. Really happy with them. Not the cheapest tires I've ever bought, but super quiet and comfortable. Seem really sticky in the turns, too. Not as sporty looking a tire as the Toyo's I came from, but for what it's worth, I'd buy again.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #17
Ben_

I guess the lesson is that with tires especially you get what you paid fir
Old 09-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #18
Hershey

Considering the AS 3s' for the FIT next spring . Took these yesterday at SEARS . How's the gas mileage with them ? Gain , loss or same ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5775.JPG (116.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5776.JPG (116.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5778.JPG (128.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5779.JPG (115.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5780.JPG (102.3 KB, 117 views)