Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Upgraded 2007 Yaris Sedan stereo system to JVC

If you are looking for a relatively cheap but good quality replacement/upgrade for the stock stereo deck in a 2007 (or similar year) Yaris sedan, I went online to Crutchfield.ca and ordered the JVC KW-R920BTS. Crutchfield also recommended the required trim kit adapter and wiring harness adapter which they included for free. Got it shipped to my door for $207 canadian, taxes included.

Installation was pretty straight forward (though you have to be comfortable splicing wires, but everything is completely color-coded so pretty simple).

This JVC unit is a MAJOR sonic upgrade compared to the stock stereo. I wasn't sure how the stock speakers would hold up with the new stereo, but it makes the speakers sound fantastic. I do not feel the need to upgrade speakers at this point (though admittedly I'm not an audiophile). There is WAY more power than stock stereo, lots of EQ options, top end clarity is great, mids are strong, bass is tight. Also it provides Bluetooth and Sirius compatibility which is awesome!!!

Tip - the kit comes with 2 wiring harness adapters, but the vehicle is equipped with 3 wiring harnesses attached to the stock stereo. It turns out that one of the harnesses is unused (at least in my vehicle) and is probably there for steering wheel stereo controls...for which my Yaris is not equipped. It took me a while to figure this out, just leave the third harness dangling inside the dash.
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote