Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 04:13 AM   #1
weevil
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris YRS
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 18
Aftermarket head unit radio reception problems.

Itís the classic story, fantastic radio reception with the stock head unit, terrible with the aftermarket unit.

I know that my 2013 Yaris has an active antenna. I have tested and confirmed that I am supplying 12v to the correct pin in the radio harness. Still very average FM reception and very poor AM.

There must be something I am missing, something else I can test. Anyone have any ideas?
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brossard, QC
Posts: 3,573
I believe there are 2 wires to join to the blue wire of the new HU to make this work correctly

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
__________________
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil View Post
Itís the classic story
^ says it all.

I'm on my second aftermarket HU, wired correctly, and neither has had reception as good as the OEM unit.


Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Whiplash
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39
I'm surprised that there are people who listen to the radio still. It makes sense for some sports and news I guess though.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
weevil
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris YRS
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I believe there are 2 wires to join to the blue wire of the new HU to make this work correctly

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Well that's a very tantalising post 'n' all Illusion. Any clue as in which two? ;)

This is the harness the manufacturer sent me. it actually has two wires, they told me to connect both of them to 12v. They are not actually connected to the blue wire on the head unit but surely that does not matter.



The wiring going into the antenna looks like this with the 12v going to the pin in the middle of the plug.

weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
weevil
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris YRS
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
I'm surprised that there are people who listen to the radio still. It makes sense for some sports and news I guess though.
There is a great news and documentary station here in Australia.
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
Whiplash
 
Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39
Nice. here its 70% commercials and 30% shitty songs. (IMO)
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
kevinj93
 
kevinj93's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 NCP130
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil View Post
Well that's a very tantalising post 'n' all Illusion. Any clue as in which two? ;)

This is the harness the manufacturer sent me. it actually has two wires, they told me to connect both of them to 12v. They are not actually connected to the blue wire on the head unit but surely that does not matter.



The wiring going into the antenna looks like this with the 12v going to the pin in the middle of the plug.

The blue wire in that adapter is the power feed to the antenna amplifier. From memory, this is a black wire parallel to the actual antenna cable. The radio normally feeds 12v to this wire. If there is no 12v feed to this, you will have very poor radio reception. Look for a switched power output from the radio. This will possibly be labelled as being for amplifier switching. Connect this to the antenna amplifier wire.

I missed this one when I installed an aftermarket radio. Once I found it, the reception was almost as good as the stock radio.
__________________
Running on standard AU 14" steel wheels (14x5 rims, 175/70R14 tyres). Added reversing camera and touch screen radio, cruise control, 16" rear wiper blade, and dash cam. Still to do: better horn(s).
kevinj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
weevil
 
Drives: 2013 Yaris YRS
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
The blue wire in that adapter is the power feed to the antenna amplifier. From memory, this is a black wire parallel to the actual antenna cable. The radio normally feeds 12v to this wire. If there is no 12v feed to this, you will have very poor radio reception. Look for a switched power output from the radio. This will possibly be labelled as being for amplifier switching. Connect this to the antenna amplifier wire.

I missed this one when I installed an aftermarket radio. Once I found it, the reception was almost as good as the stock radio.
Yep that is my understanding too, I have tested the wire and itís definitely getting 12v but the signal is still nowhere near the factory unit.
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 YARIS HB poor radio reception code54 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 5 12-19-2015 11:46 AM
Add USB audio to factory head unit Gladmo2 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 8 01-03-2013 12:25 AM
2006 Yaris Hatchback Replacing Stereo Head Unit help lauren24 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 11 07-01-2010 11:13 PM
Toyota AUX plug w/ aftermarket radio? eight_heads In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 20 09-07-2007 02:41 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.